“Fisherman's Cottage”
Review of South Aran House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Inisheer
South Aran House
Ranked #1 of 8 Inisheer B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We didn't stay at Aran House, but we ate lunch at Fisherman's Cottage which is part of the B&B/Cooking School/Restaurant. The food was perfect and even though we arrived right before they closed for the afternoon, the owners talked with us for a long time about life on the island and how they had come to start their business. They also told us about the Irish Government's alliance with a big foreign-owned company to build commercial salmon farming operations just offshore. They said that, if it is built, they and everyone they know in the business will leave.

Tourists are very important to Ireland and, even though the owners of places like this and the local fisherman don't have much of a voice when compared to a multi-million dollar global corporation, we do. Commercial salmon farming is a filthy business that produces an inferior product, albeit at a lower price. The idea that you can put hundreds of thousands of fish in a confined space, keep them alive with chemicals and processed feed, then expect the ocean to "clean itself" is absurd. Ask the people of America's Gulf Coast as the try to avoid the tar balls. Please speak out.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SteveK20

Reviewed 3 June 2013

I recently stayed on Inisheer and chose South Aran as our B&B for the night. Inisheer was lovely and I really enjoyed it! I wish we could have stayed longer. South Aran was very nice- fairly close to where the boat docks and the rooms were all spotless. I do wish we had had a bit of a view, but the fence in the front of the house seems to prohibit that, and our view in the back was just another wall. However, we really enjoyed our stay and the food at the Fisherman's Cottage was great. We would definitely stay again. Thank you!!!

Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Very disappointed, to put it mildly, having just booked a stay via telephone, to be told they could not accept the booking as we would be accompanied by a guide dog. "It's a different setup here", I was told. No kidding... not a very politically correct or ethical one.

• Stayed: March 2013
6  Thank Dee-Fahy
Enda C, Owner at South Aran House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2013

This is not a true reflection of the situation. At the end of the booking process this lady announced that she had a dog. When it was explained very politely that the situation was not suitable for dogs she cancelled her booking and seemed ok. That a person with a guide dog would insist on having the dog in a place where someone is highly allergic to the animal is amazing. That such a person would submit a report like this is very upsetting. We go out of our way to look after our guests and anyone who actually stayed with us will know this.

Reviewed 16 March 2013

Fisherman's Cottage, also called South Aran House, is the perfect spot for lunch. They have two cozy rooms with brightly painted tables and chairs and offer light fare such as delicious fish cakes. Can be a bit hard to find though. We were walking and asked directions, saw one sign, and then almost missed it. It's at the end of the road that bends to the left before turning right to the ferry harbour. Small stone sign in the wall has the name Fisherman's Cottage.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Spontaneously, we booked a two day stay on Inishere in January. Together with three other ladies we were the only tourists on the island. However, this amazing B&B made our trip to Inishere so great. Our room was very cozy and clean. The meals(breakfast and dinner) were handmade with a lot of love. by the two owners. After a long walk we asked Enda for cup of tea and he prepared us a great afternoon snack for free. To sum up: A lovely place to stay!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 November 2012

Enda and Maria Conneely were by far the best B & B hosts I have ever had during my eight long trips to Ireland over the past 27 years. Breakfast and dinner were eaten there every day during my recent 8 day stay in October 2012. Enda produces gourmet meals that rival the best restaurants. He paid close attention to my special dietary requests and the results were always excellent.

My room was clean, comfortable and dry despite the almost constant rain and wind. The bed was quite good and the room was perfectly sized and the shower had good pressure with lots of hot water. One morning I woke early and found there was no water in the bathroom. I emailed Enda and he responded almost immediately and by 7 a. m., he solved the float switch problem and water was restored. That kind of attention to detail is emblematic of the level of service given at South Aran House.

Enda was also quite helpful in providing transportation about Inis Oirr when it was important to me. Both Enda and Maria are great at the craic and will spend as much time as pleases you in the art of lively conversation. They make you feel right at home and are, in my opinion, the inspiration for the famous Irish greeting: A HUNDRED THOUSAND WELCOMES.

Enda and Maria are also avid in their concern about the environment and it shows in the way they select organic local foods for their guests and in their efforts to preserve the natural beauty of the Aran Islands and Galway Bay.

You can do no better than stay at the South Aran House. No other place comes close.

Thomas F. Marshall
Pennington, NJ
USA

Room Tip: Room number 2 was perfect.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Tommarsh123
Reviewed 11 November 2012

I was fortunate to stay at the South Aran House on Inis Orr during my recent trip to Ireland. Inir Orr is the smallest of the three Aran Islands and while sometimes the less frequently visited island, it was a spectacular getaway, particularly because of the South Aran House.

Maria and Enda are incredible B&B hosts - knowledgeable about the island and Ireland in general, warm, friendly and welcoming. The B&B itself was a retreat in itself. Crisp, elegant yet 'clear' in its design and decor (and immaculately clean), I felt enveloped in quiet and calm. Meals at the Fisherman's Cafe that Maria and Enda run are delicious.

I could go on and on about South Aran B&B and how it made my island experience such a delicious retreat, but trust me it's worth a visit. Thanks Maria and Enda for such a wonderful visit.

Room Tip: My room was on the front with a view out to the water, but every room looked to have good views. The...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Erin O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inisheer
Hotel Inis Oirr
#8 of 20 in Inishmore
Clai Ban
Clai Ban
#10 of 20 in Inishmore

Been to South Aran House? Share your experiences!