“Home Away From Home”
Review of South Aran House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Inisheer
South Aran House
Ranked #1 of 8 Inisheer B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Home Away From Home”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I live in Chicago, IL and this is my second visit to the South Aran House and I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else on the island. Enda and Maria are lovely hosts that greet me with such warmth and excitement. The B&B has many great qualities, as an adult I very much appreciate. The rooms are quiet and clean and coffee/tea are always available by the fireplace. If I decide to come home late from the pubs or go out in the wee hours of the morning, there are flash lights available (which I didn't think to bring my first time there). I'm able to access WiFi in my room, making it a real treat to be able to FaceTime my family back home and show them my breathtaking view of the island. The food! Every dish I chose was just as tasty as the last. From scrambled eggs with chives/coriander to Haddock, chive/cheese tart, Crab Linguine, to a gourmet burger. You can't just stop at the entree, have a piece of the Aran Apple Cake with a cup a tea! The restaurant provides flavor and creativity in their menu, you are not being served just fish/chips here! The best part for me was the great conversations I had with Enda and Maria. Every day when I arrived for breakfast and dinner it was like I was arriving at home and we could all exchange what happened or what we saw during the day. You are not just treated like another guest here, you are treated like family. I look forward to coming back next June and catching up with my other family on Inishere.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Brittany H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Gorey, Ireland
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We had super time ... Wonderful rooms ...iron bedsteads with really comfy matresses . Breakfast was yummy ... Apple fritter, potato cakes , olive tapenadas and herb omlette and savoury scone. My travel buddy had fresh tasty local mackeral and mustard butter . We had our dinner both nights in South Aran House . We had Thai bean cassoulet witrh basmati rice and Fresh hake , potatoes and vegetables . Enda and Maria were very attentive and were like our own personal tour guides of the island . Go there for a few days .....an experience to treasure . Ait alainn !

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed our weekend stay at the South Aran B&B. They could not do enough for us. When we arrived on the Ferry, they picked us up and brought us to the B&B. The room was lovely, very clean and everything one could want. The food in the restaurant was very nice (we had the crab linguine)! The staff were very friendly and chatty, providing us with great insights into what do do on the island. The island is lovely and a great opportunity to get away from everyday hustle and bustle. Thanks Maria for such a lovely experience, we will hopefully be back! I would without doubt recommend this B&B.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Dined here with my friend, didn't stay as guests. Ordered 2 steaks and both were rare though we requested them well done. We sent them back and they came back medium, didn't bother complaining again as it was embarrassing. Veg was bland and average. Apple cake for dessert was like paste. Not even a discount or drink offered for such inconvenience. Toffee sponge which my friend had just tasted like sugar. Also very expensive. And management please don't deny this review. We took photographs of our steaks and your premises on our mobiles to share with others! Would never recommend.

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank michaeld_007
Western Ireland, Ireland
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

4 of us had a meal. Steaks had to be sent back they weren't even nearly cooked properly, and still weren't cooked when we got them back. Portions very small. One enjoyed the chicken and the other thought noodles were average. Definitely not a qualified chef, if so I'm shocked! Deserts very average. Extremely expensive and that's not exaggerated. Would never return.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank RoyBs
Enda C, Owner at South Aran House, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
A group of this description did not stay or eat with us in 2014.
We are a very small business and we have a lot of interaction with our guests so we know who stayed with us not alone for 2014 but for the last number of years and no group like this stayed or ate in the restaurant.
No group sent back steaks and we do not, or never have served noodles.
Our business is built on referrals and we have a consistent and loyal customer base who know us and what we do.
We go out of our way to help our customers make the most of their stay on the Island and we welcome genuine feedback.
There is not a lot we can do about this review which is very disappointing.
Cornwall, Vermont
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Although we had been travelling the South and West coasts of Ireland, I feel like we finally found Ireland on this amazing island. Our accommodations were incredible. The food to die for and the island people better than family. This is the one place that we all said we must come back to.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank itchiemitten
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We arrived on Inisheer after a day of rough boat rides and I can't tell you what a relief it was to find ourselves in Enda and Maria's care at their beautiful B&B. It was so easy to book this B&B, Enda was always available to reach via cell phone. When we arrived, I gave him a ring and he generously drove to the pier to meet us in his car and load up our bag, even though we realized later the walk to the B&B on the small island was only 3-4 minutes.

This property is LOVELY and quiet. Our room was so clean and nicely appointed, with a huge beautiful bed, and clean, white sheets over a gloriously fluffy comforter and pillows... best night of sleep we had on our vacation. I don't usually take stock in this but it was truly nicely decorated, and there were lots of nice little details, like a book of important phone numbers, and make up remover wipes provided for the ladies! There wasn't a view from our room but this doesn't matter as you will most likely spend all your daylight time outdoors on the amazing island! Our hosts provided flashlights at the door for your use after dark later, and there was a really nice common room (that we didn't get to utilized) with couches and a tv and dvd player and dvds. No TV's in the individual rooms, loved that. Very clean room and bathroom, plenty of hot water.

When we first arrived around 6 PM, we were exhausted and didn't know where to start. We ended up going to their accompanying restaurant, "Fisherman's Cottage" for dinner. There isn't a separate place to review that, so I am going to include it here. It was, in all honesty, one of the best meals I have ever had. Both I and my traveling companion had the South Aran crab linguine. I told Enda I was going to remember that meal for the rest of my life, and it would probably drive me crazy, craving a meal that I will probably never have again!

Breakfast was great as well and we loved talking to Maria about genealogy and she shared some great stories about her ancestors!

Just simply a perfect stay. I wish we had arranged to stay on this island longer.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank copy_that
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inisheer
Hotel Inis Oirr
An Dun Bed & Breakfast and Restaurant
Pier House Guest House
Pier House Guest House
#5 of 19 in Inishmore

Been to South Aran House? Share your experiences!