Hotel Inis Oirr
An Moinear(Inisheer)
An Creagan B&B(Inisheer)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe pubinis oirrlive musicaran islandswould definitely stay here againbangers and mashlocals and visitorsfish and chipsamazing breakfastcan't wait to go backbeautiful islandlovely hotelrelaxing staylong timechowderpony and trapwell worth a visit
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We stayed here for two nights in August. Rooms were really affordable and nicely decorated, clean and spacious.

The keys are a bit of a nightmare, took ages to open so maybe update the key system. Rooms were quite cold on the first night, couldn't operate the radiators so lucky I had my husband to get some heat off, I'd say it was a different story for someone in a single bed.

Some of the group we stayed with had problems in that there was no hot water for showers for the entire weekend so they knocked a certain amount off the bill. Upstairs however we had no problems with water as we had electric showers upstairs.

Breakfast was fantastic! Buffet and full Irish, very tasty and Italian chef was nice and friendly. Housekeeping staff were lovely too.

Reception was a bit hit and miss, maybe laid back?

Bar is nice on a Friday night, it's a bit mad on Saturday nights when it turns into the Island's disco. We could hear a small amount of noise from this and also from smokers coming out into the hotel entrance and talking and slamming doors.

Would definitely stay here again, you couldn't beat the price!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with electric shower.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Jo-Me
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We stayed here on 25th and 26th of August 2011. While we were expecting a basic hotel, we weren't disappointed. However, it's on the smallest of the Aran Islands, so some credit needs to be given for that. I appreciate that any supplies etc. would need to be brought over from the mainland, but can I suggest a couple of things that would really make a difference to staying here?

More sound insulation in the bedrooms, it really was annoying that every door opening or closing could be heard as clear as day.........

To follow on from that, maybe a swipe card system for the bedrooms so you don't have a much noise from people entering and leaving the room.

Our shower tray was filling up with water when we had a shower, that's easily fixed. Also the shower head could be replaced (room 10).

The bar was good, the pints were good too. I can't fault the staff, they were very easy going, and the barman asked me did I want another pint before they finished up, which I like. I can't stand a pub that just stops serving.

The breakfast was lovely, and served by a very pleasant Eastern European girl.

One of the biggest problems I had throughout my stay was this, which is no fault of the hotel.......I would like to thank the residents of two rooms up the corridor who had a gang of children, and they had both doors open all the time. So as a result, like clockwork, at 7.30am in the morning these kids would begin using the corridor as a playground, while the parents showed NO respect to the other guests. Remember the morning someone shouted to keep the noise down? That was me. Oh, and I wasn't the only person who was annoyed.

So while I would go back to Inisheer again, I think next time I would go to a B+B, not because of any major problems, but just a couple of little ones that could be easily fixed. And less noise hopefully......

Room Tip: Ask for the quietest one........
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank IRLKK
Reviewed 26 August 2011

The hotel itself was nice and clean enough. A bit old fashion, but the room was overall good, even if it was difficult to sleep with the noise of the banging doors or even when somebody was locking or unlocking the adiacent door. Breakfast was very good, and staff friendly. The hotel's pub is frequented by locals and tourists. Food is good too here and staff very polite. The best thing about this place is that it was dog friendly; dogs are also allowed in the pub.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank inabigcountry
Reviewed 25 June 2011

I would like to say that some of these reviews seem to be talking about Inis Mór hotel and not Inis Oirr hotel at all, it's very frustrating !! There is no way that this hotel charged a couple with a 16month old baby €150 for one night . My husband, my two kids and I have been staying at this hotel for the last 6 years, we have never been charged more than €90 - €110 depending on the time of year we travel. And if we stay for a good few nights the hotel always gives us a deal. Again the pier house b&b is on Inis Mor not Inis Oirr. It would be advisable if people when giving comments would actually know which island they stayed on.
I want people to know that this isn't a 5star hotel so please don't come here expecting 5star service, I think people are expecting too much, the hotel is over 25 years old. The rooms are very clean, they have comfortable beds, have tvs, what more to you need. There are a lot of great things about this hotel, and the island is a magnificent place. The hotel is beside a beautiful clean sandy beach, and when you get good weather you could relax or swim here all day long! You can walk around the whole island in just under 3 hours, and it is a fantastic and beautiful place to see. The view from O'Brien's Castle is absolutely breathtaking, especially on a nice day, the weather can make a big difference. We have rented bikes and it is another great way to see the island. With the pony and trap rides you get to see a lot and they are great fun too, the kids love them! One of the best playgrounds in Ireland was built on Inis Oirr 3 or 4 years ago and it is only a two minute walk from the hotel and the kids love it so much, it keeps them busy for hours. The locals here are very friendly, we including the kids have made a lot of friends over the years, including the hotel staff. If you need anything at all they will try their best to do it. There is internet access in the lounge and there is wifi throughout the bar and lounge, which is great when you're in need for your facebook buzz! The food here is fantastic, in the bar and in the restaurant, especially the local seafood. The fresh mussels and mackerel are to die for! And the plates are always full of lovely inis oirr potatoes and vegetables. The kids can also get 1/2 portions of everything which is great. The full irish breakfast is very tasty and plentiful, great choice of cereals, juices, fruit and again if you need more of anything just ask and you will get it!!
There is a large bar to the front of the hotel with a great atmosphere, we like to practice our 'gaeilge' with the locals here. The traditional music every night is great craic, we always join in and have a great sing song session. The kids are allowed into the bar until a reasonable hour too which is great for us, plus the hotel organized a babysitter for us and we have used her and her friend numerous times over the past 6 years.
Another thing i see people complaining about is the noise. Most of the people that do travel to the Aran Islands, come for the music and the craic and they are the ones making the noise! We have stayed in 4star and 5star hotels all over and they have noisy rooms too. Honestly this happens everywhere and it is a hard thing to control. But again you can just ask for a room that isn't noisy. We have rarely had any problems with noise.
I really hope my review helps, i know its very long, but i hope that it gives everybody a better idea, because some of these reviews do not do the hotel or the island its proper justice and me and my family really love this place and we'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
16  Thank frd62
Reviewed 23 June 2011

I stayed here for a single night, on a flying visit to Inis Oirr.The hotel is about 2 minutes' gentle walk from the pier. There was no record of the booking, even though I had done it over the phone that morning! It was sorted out fairly promptly.

The decoration is very dated - it feels like a late-70s timewarp. The room I had was clean, but the bed wasn't that comfortable. I gather that the B&Bs are rather better in terms of decoration, service etc. There are 2 computers in the restaurant area for internet access (€2 per hour). Mobile signal was non-existent (it's hit and miss on the island generally).

As others have pointed out, the hotel is very noisy. It's not just the pub: I could hear everything from the room above (including at least 2 dropped coins rolling on the floor), and doors banging.

If you absolutely have to get a room at short notice, and for just overnight, it's ok - but cannot be recommended.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo