“Cave Cottage is MAGICAL and rejuvenating to the Body, Mind & Spirit” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cave Cottage

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clarenbridge
Cave Cottage
Dublin, Ireland
“Cave Cottage is MAGICAL and rejuvenating to the Body, Mind & Spirit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2011

Cave Cottage is my favourite rejuvenation spot, the stillness and quiet is just magical. Breakfast by the water, walks in the Burren, oysters in Morans, sea swims and sitting by the cosy fire, its so good for the body and soul!
If you want a relaxing get away, close to the city then this is the place. The cottage is very comfortable and very well equipped. The owners are delightful and incredibly helpful and the local dog is just the cutest !

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank Ruthlegear

Business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2011

Just like in the movies, this adorable cottage right in front of a sunlit bay was everything I had imagined and then some...surprises.
I spent months looking for the real Irish experience. I was just about to give up - it seems the old emerald isle has decided to replace its rustic manors with Motel 6 dumps that cost the earth - when a friend at work sent me the link from tripadvisor.
It LOOKED gorgeous - but you never know. I took a chance and booked it straight away online without any probs. The same day, the owner sent me a personal email thanking me for booking and asking was there anything I wanted.

Yeah, a lot. I want it all! OK, I just asked if there was anything interesting to see in the area. He sent me back a real helpful email that just got me all excited.

So I went.
I arrived.
Wow!
PS I Love this, I thought as I stepped in the door. (Only there wasn't a hunk waiting for me :) )
It was the real deal alright. Old looking for sure ( I think 300 hundred years old) The floorboards creak, there's a fireplace. Tiny cut-frame windows look out to the bay. OK and get this: Just as I was unpacking a flock of sheep were being herded by a v. handsome farmer outside the front door. he gave a salute! Yikes!
Well we sank into bed after the long flight. When I woke up next day, I felt like I was home. Laugh if you like, but my roots are in Eire and I felt like the old Shanahans were there in spirit to welcome me back after a couple of hundred years since the first Shanahan took the boat and had an 'Irish Wake' - maybe in a house just like this.

All the practical stuff was up to scratch - washer, dryer, kitchen, linen etc. can't complain about anything in the place. Oh, if there was one - the shower wasn't exactly high-pressure - more like it spat at ya! Not to worry, the housekeeper cam e along and told me her brother would come in and adjust it a little. Turns out the farmer guy was her little brother - he popped in made the adjustment, and I made him a cup of tea.
I'd like to tell you that I explored the area (went to the Burren, the Aliwee caves and Gaway city) but in truth I just hung around, read, went for long walks, spent the evenings chatting with locals up in the pub and now and again, my farmer friend stopped by - for tea!

Loved it.

PS I'm coming back

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
5 Thank Soupcan_Willy
Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2009

Booked Cave Cottage for a holiday and received confirmation nearly 6weeks before due to go that Cottage was available and that we would receive further notification in relation to payment details. As owner is difficult to get hold of and it took some time to get email confirmation of booking and I followed up to confirm payment details again 1 week before travel dates. 5 days before due to travel owner cancelled booking. Now after spending hours looking for somewhere special to on holidays we have to start again. Although an issue with plumbing was given as an excuse as it was so difficult to get in touch with the owner I feel that either they had double booked the property or decided they didn’t want to rent to me for whatever reason. Really frustrating and now have to start looking for holiday destination again. It is hard to find something as unique as this place looks. Very upset and disappointed. Would not recommend staying here due to difficulty to get access to owner and confirmation that booking will be secure.

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2009

My husband & I came to Ireland on our honeymoon in 1973 and discovered a country full of stories, wonderful friendly people and stayed in gorgeous old cottages and hotels. Every turn of the road was met with a 'wow!' and every person was a friend. Ireland has changed a lot since then. There are freeways, traffic jams, big corporations - a busy, modern prosperous society. We hardly recognized the place on our return - something we spent years saving up for. There were a lot less 'wows'. We spent about a day in Dublin and exited west, staying at a variety of humdrum hotels that were the exact same as we have in the USA. I nearly cried.
Then we got to Galway, then to Cave. This real treasure. A genuine thatched cottage just like we stayed in over 30 years ago. It was right on the sea - I mean you could throw a peanut and it would land in the water. The inside is so amazing and cozy and it is hard to describe how so at home we felt here. The fire was set for us and soon, sitting in front of the flames, we were almost transported back in time to when lads and lassies walked the roads in their bare feet. A flock of sheep passed the gate at one point and the green fields across the bay shimmered in the red and gold and purple evening sunsets. We did not want for anything - the cottage has all the cookware , cups and saucers, glasses, towels, linen. We didn't have to go out and buy anything at all - except to go to Kellys shop in Clarinbridge for a chat and some milk and bread. We planned to explore the nearby Burren national park and even booked tickets to the theatre in Galway but we ended up staying the entire week in our cottage just going for the occassional walk. My husband and I were like youngsters again and he, especially, seemed to be really content here. We've booked again for next year. Because here is the Real Ireland the one I have always dreamt of since my honeymoon.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LuluHeavan
wolverhampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2009

I stayed in Cave Cottage as part of a driving holiday around Ireland. I found Cave Cottage after many hours of trawling the net looking for a cottage that was typically Irish. I immediately fell in love with the place, and that was just from the photographs. I was travelling with three other adults so i had to wait for their confidence vote too! Luckily it came! Our experience started with us finding the cottage after being chased down a beaten track by sheep dogs! Then we had to find a way in, after being told to unsuccesfully find Margret by the neighbour we eventually found our way in! The cottage is beautiful inside and out. Myself and my partner slept up in the rafters but we slept brilliantly. We had the peat fire going until the early hours. I read a whole book!! The whole place is steeped in stories, even down to the picture of the lady in the kitchen who has insprired so many characters.

This cottage is fantastic, don't expect to see many people or have the most excting time here unless you provide it for yourselves. It really is a haven.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank wainwrightsarah
Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2008

I can’t say enough about the glories time I had at The Cave Cottage. It was everything I thought it would be and more. Brian & Colm made it so easy to book the cottage and were very helpful on places to go and things to see while I was there. The cottage felt at home as soon as I walked in. Margret was so nice and helpful and only a phone call away if needed. I loved taking walks along the beach and meeting the locals at Jordan’s… dinner at Paddy Burkes is not to be missed. The best part of staying at The Cave Cottage was having a “Home” to go to at the end of the day. I was able to recharge my batteries and just relax, drink some Guinness and watch the swans in the bay. It was an easy starting off point to visit Connemara, and The Burren.

I would recommend The Cave Cottage to any and all, this little cottage is a slice of heaven on earth and not to be missed. I will carry the memories of this trip with me for many of years and I will be going back to stay in the little cottage on the bay.

• Liked — The quiet of Cave Cottage. It was so relaxing
  • Disliked — I loved everything about Cave Cottage!!!
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank jenbug3636
Los Angeles,CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2007

We came to Cave down an unmarked road in the west of Ireland. It is right on the water and on a cul de sac so we were guaranteed what we wanted - a week of total privacy and relaxation. The cottage is a REAL thatched cottage (not a modern remake) and kept clean and comfortable by the owners. When we arrived there was a fire set and all we had to do was put a match to it. Immediately, I felt at home. The linen and towels were all clean and the tiny(!), tiny kitchen was stocked with everything we needed (except a microwave). I don't think I thought about work all week - just me and my husband together taking walks, meeting the locals and taking some time just for us to be together. After a couple of days of totall idyll though, we decided to head in to Galway city - which is just about 20 minutes away. Galway is a totally different experience, lively and vibrant with an old town feel. We were glad thought to get back to Cave, to the lovely quiet, crunch of gravel and watching the odd fisherman go out in his boat in the bay. We both came back ten years younger - at least in our attitude to each other. My husband has booked us in again next year - he knows we'll need it again. Only comment I would make is that a lightbulb went while we were there and we were clueless how the Irish system worked. Eventually we called the housekeeper and she fixed it. Some more instructions on things like that would be nice.

Stayed January 2007