“Little Slice of Heaven”
Review of Cave Cottage

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clarenbridge
Cave Cottage
Oregon
“Little Slice of Heaven”
Reviewed 24 April 2008

I can’t say enough about the glories time I had at The Cave Cottage. It was everything I thought it would be and more. Brian & Colm made it so easy to book the cottage and were very helpful on places to go and things to see while I was there. The cottage felt at home as soon as I walked in. Margret was so nice and helpful and only a phone call away if needed. I loved taking walks along the beach and meeting the locals at Jordan’s… dinner at Paddy Burkes is not to be missed. The best part of staying at The Cave Cottage was having a “Home” to go to at the end of the day. I was able to recharge my batteries and just relax, drink some Guinness and watch the swans in the bay. It was an easy starting off point to visit Connemara, and The Burren.

I would recommend The Cave Cottage to any and all, this little cottage is a slice of heaven on earth and not to be missed. I will carry the memories of this trip with me for many of years and I will be going back to stay in the little cottage on the bay.

• Liked — The quiet of Cave Cottage. It was so relaxing
  • Disliked — I loved everything about Cave Cottage!!!
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank jenbug3636

Business
Los Angeles,CA
Reviewed 21 January 2007

We came to Cave down an unmarked road in the west of Ireland. It is right on the water and on a cul de sac so we were guaranteed what we wanted - a week of total privacy and relaxation. The cottage is a REAL thatched cottage (not a modern remake) and kept clean and comfortable by the owners. When we arrived there was a fire set and all we had to do was put a match to it. Immediately, I felt at home. The linen and towels were all clean and the tiny(!), tiny kitchen was stocked with everything we needed (except a microwave). I don't think I thought about work all week - just me and my husband together taking walks, meeting the locals and taking some time just for us to be together. After a couple of days of totall idyll though, we decided to head in to Galway city - which is just about 20 minutes away. Galway is a totally different experience, lively and vibrant with an old town feel. We were glad thought to get back to Cave, to the lovely quiet, crunch of gravel and watching the odd fisherman go out in his boat in the bay. We both came back ten years younger - at least in our attitude to each other. My husband has booked us in again next year - he knows we'll need it again. Only comment I would make is that a lightbulb went while we were there and we were clueless how the Irish system worked. Eventually we called the housekeeper and she fixed it. Some more instructions on things like that would be nice.

Stayed January 2007
3 Thank QueenBean99
Kapaa, Hawaii
Reviewed 5 June 2006

Staying at the cove cottage was an experience of a lifetime. It is very quaint, comfortable and the setting is almost spiritual. This was my second time to Ireland but this time I traveled with my husband, his brother and wife (she is 100% irish, first visit). We all loved the experience and found it a perfect location for day visits to Counties Galway (Connemara), Mayo and Clare (the Burren). After 2 weeks of travel throughout Europe, this was a place of rest with all the modern convenience of home (washer/dryer a plus). The cost of the cottage for 4 people was very reasonable after paying much more during our adventures abroad. We ate oysters at the local restaurant and enjoyed irish music at the town pub. The locals gather for impromtu jams sessions on the first Tuesday of every month. A great experience. We would love to return to The Cave Cottage in the future and we certainly would if it wasn't such a distance. Kathy and Kenny from Kauai, Hawaii, USA.

Stayed May 2006
2 Thank surfski2016
Reviewed 18 April 2006

The Cave was the perfect place to spend our last two nights after hopping from Dublin to Galway. It immediately felt like home and we were saddened to leave. Colm, the owner who resides in California, is wonderful and made us feel welcome even before we arrived. We'll be staying longer next time for sure!

Stayed February 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 March 2006

I stayed at Cave Cottage in Feb after reading the reviews at tripadvisor and was not disappointed. The cottage is right, and I mean right on the water. There is just a little road in front that would fit one car. The setting is truly idyllic and calm. I couldn't believe how quickly I forgot about the internet, email and all those things that seemed so important just two days ago.
The cottage itself is very rustic with a real thatched roof. Inside is cozy, they have a real turf fire and it was set when we arrived, which was a nice touch. I just put a match to it.
The cottage is 300 years old so it has some quirks, but the sheets are clean and it seems like they thought of everything (including kids games under a seat in the bedroom). I could see a little sparrow flitter in and out of its nest somewhere in there. There are fields on either side with a few cows and a field at the back.
But reading this back, I guess I'm just describing a place. What was magic was how I felt when I woke up every morning and looked out the little window to the beautiful bay and the ruins of the castle across. I think I felt at home in a place I'd never been.

• Stayed February 2006
Reviewed 14 February 2006

I spent a birthday weekend in Cave and was torn to leave. The cottage is rustic in its beauty and has been thoughtfully kept with everything from towels to turf blocks for the fire. More information is available at the web address below. I was a little dubious about making a reservation as the owner, Colm, is in America - however, he was prompt and helpful with all email transactions. The cottage is easy to find (but the folk in the local store will point the way if needed!). It's in a very peaceful spot overlooking the water, only 10 minutes drive from Galway and a comfortable drive away from the Cliffs of Mohair in the South and Connemara to the North. Cave is highly recommended for lone artists looking for inspiration, couples wanting a romantic break and families wanting a base that comes with fully equipped kitchen, hot shower and clean sheets!

(---)

Stayed January 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Nottingham, England
Reviewed 27 January 2006

A charming little place - very comfortable and convenient for Galway City or into County Clare. A pleasure staying there, very realxing with its views over the bay. A comfortable sitting room, compact kitchen and snug bedroom, although I found the bunk area a little odd. I would go back but the annual increase in prices have now eased me out, I'm afraid, especially as there are equally nice places in the area for much less.

• Stayed April 2004
2 Thank RVarley

Been to Cave Cottage? Share your experiences!