“Brilliant small wedding hotel!”

Zetland Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cashel
Reviewed 15 February 2013

I've been meaning to do this for ages so here goes... We wanted somewhere smallish and different for our wedding (80 guests) and we fell in love with this place at first sight. We just loved the homely atmosphere, the staff were amazing and the (lovely) owner, Colm spent a lot of time with the family over the weekend which made it feel like we were visiting a relative. We now have pictures of all the staff in our wedding album. It was like a home from home and they couldn't do enough for us - we had the whole place to ourselves. The wedding meal was the best we've ever had and the service was spot on. If you're into modern decor, matching furniture and everything new, don't go there but if you're someone who likes a big fire, comfy chair, beautiful view and good company over a few drinks in total peace, this is for you.

Room Tip: View of the lake is a must for a romantic break.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank ASimpson186609

Reviewed 3 February 2013

My husband and I stayed at Zetland for two nights recently, and absolutely loved it! On a cold January night the blazing fires in the main reception rooms were really welcoming, but the staff were even more so. They set up a table for us in the drawing room so we could eat in front of a blazing fire. The service and friendliness of the staff were top class, and we really enjoyed our meal. The room was perfect - they even had an electric blanket in the bed for us when we retired: absolute bliss! The views from our bedroom were spectacular, but what really made our stay was the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff, and the conviviality of the owner, Colm, who made us feel so welcome. Zetland is a real gem - discover it before the rest of the world do!

Room Tip: Room 24 is a large, comfortable room which has a wonderful view and an enormous walk-in shower with...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IrelandWesternmom
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Our overnight stay in August 2012 after a hard day's cycling was made very enjoyable by friendly and helpful staff. We were given an upgrade to a superb suite with a view of the Lough because the hotel was quiet. The hotel food was substantial and excellent. I thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for the view of the Lough.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AndyG_1958
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I stayed a night at the Zetland with my parents, we took two double rooms. As a country house hotel, its expected that the decor be shabby and comfortable, and it was certainly comfortable. Everything was very clean in the rooms and common areas, the sitting room was warm and welcoming and I spent a few hours curled up in front of the fire on my laptop while my parents enjoyed the live music in the bar. The food was lovely and the service really could not be better, everyone is so friendly and chatty, full of local knowledge, and keen to make sure you're having a nice stay.

If you're looking for a comfortable base from which to explore Connemara, I'd recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: My room was right above the sitting room, where there was a fire going all evening, and as a result...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank lil_punk_pixie
Reviewed 8 August 2012

My son and I traveled through Ireland and stayed 2 nights at the Zetland.At first we thought it might be kind of a stuffy place but were very pleasantly surprised.The hotel has a very lively pub attached to it (that the locals obviously enjoy!)We heard irish music and enjoyed watching people and children dance.The staff was excellent and very friendly (esp. Pamela.) The owner Colm was great! He took my son fishing for hours and set us up in some great fishing spots.All in all a great stay!Also the grounds are lovely!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Meghan O
Reviewed 4 August 2012

I feel I have to write this review for two reasons, the first been to disagree with the review of Klaus 37Who obvious has no comparisons of a world without materialism, I was at the Zetland Hotel For my very first visit the last week of June of this year. And found it to be very well decorated in the style that is suitable to its environs. Country, with art work on the walls, it was a mix of both local work, which I love to see showing on the walls in such a fine hotel, and some very original pieces.
I was fortunate enough to be up early and the amount of staff busy at work, cleaning. They were pleasant and made sure that all downstairs was complete by 7.30am as not to disturb guests who like me like to read my newspaper in peace.
I love to walk and was delighted when the receptionist was not offend when I stepped in the front door with my dirty shoes, she very quickly and politely handed me a bag to place my shoes in. And told me not to worry. She was out with a small vacuum straight away; I must say I was the embarrassed one as I had carried dirt in to the foyer that was immaculately clean. The surrounds of the Zetlands is a fantastic place to walk or hike, and return to beautiful clean, large, peaceful rooms and wonderful food. Dining in the big dining room with specular view across the bay was out of this world. The craic in the bar with the locals was amazing. I would very much recommend this fine establishment. With regards to the owner who is a man of straight talking and good humour, was the first person I’ve meet who takes the time to spent with his quests and is very good to staff, which is reflected in the pleasant atmosphere within the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank AmyAnn275
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We ( a couple) stayed here some weeks ago ( early June). My first impression was that we had arrived at the back door, we entered the lobby where yes the receptionist was very friendly. We arrived at our room, I think we must be in the old part, there was a lingering damp smell, the decor was very 1980's, you could see the damp behind the wall paper. The room itself was very spacious but in desparate need of a revamp. We walked into the dining room and decided that we would not eat here as it looked grubby, for example the large windows in the dining room looked like they hadn't had a good clean in over a year. The breakfast room seemed to be part of the bar and again it was very 1980's and could do with a revamp. There is a beautiful view from the hotel but the grounds seem a little neglected, some bits looked OK and others not. I don;t like being so negative but I feel I have to give this review as we chose this hotel based on the other reviews here and I honestly could not agree with most of the reviews here. Maybe it depends on what you are looking for but given the cost of this hotel ( its not cheap!) I would expect the claenliness standards to be higher, also I would expect a reasonable standard of decor in the room, not faded upholstery and damp peeping through the wall paper. The lounge again is a very big room but a mish mash of worn looking furniture and some very cheap paintings on the wall interspersed with some nice paintings. We met the owner who seems a pleasant enough chap although he did repeat the same stock phrases everytime we bumped into him. Overall we very both very disappointed with the quality of our accommodation and I can honestly say we were glad to leave. Sorry to say I won't be returning.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Glas37
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cashel
Ballynahinch Castle Hotel
Connemara Sands Hotel & Spa
Connemara Sands Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Ballyconneely
Clifden Station House

Been to Zetland Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!