“Sunny days on the west coast at the Zetland”

Zetland Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cashel
Reviewed 10 March 2010

I have been coming to Connemara for 40 years and this visit has been wonderful. The weather in Ireland has been terrible of late but 4 days of frozen nights followed by unbroken sunshine has been worth all the waiting, even if the "wind had an edge".
The warmth of the staff and welcome at the hotel was a perfect antidote to the cold. It is the first time I have stayed here and it will not be my last; I long to come back and explore more of the Gowla .The view across the bay from the dining room was magnificent which made eating in the large bay window a great pleasure. The fishing, food and friendliness made my stay very valuable. The perfect way to recharge the battery before plunging back into working life.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank RGC75

Reviewed 21 September 2009

This is a beautiful hotel to stay in. It’s tucked away in the countryside overlooking Cashel Bay. We stayed for two nights and fell in love with the house. It is so warm and comfortable but what makes this hotel really special are the people who run it they could not be more helpful and friendly.

The grounds are spectacular and the views from the dining room of cashel bay are truly amazing. The bedroom we stayed in also had a fantastic view with cosy four poster bed. Breakfast was delightful, but dinner was a culinary experience. Memories of your stay here will truly last a lifetime. We cannot wait to return!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2009

Stopped off here while on holidays in Connemara, we holiday in Connemara a few times a year. Heard the Zetland had new bar opened last year that does food so we decided to stop off and try it. BIG MISTAKE!!. There were 5 of us, 3 adults and two children. We placed our order with young guy from behind the bar. I should mention we were only ones in food area when we placed our order. After we placed order another family came in and 2 other couples. Had to ask twice for highchair. 10 mins later still no water or wine we ordered. My children were thirsty so we asked again for water, told by our teenage bar guy yes it was coming. Had to ask 4 more times, evenutally after 20 mins we got the jug of water but by this time all other tables had their drinks and we were first there by 15 mins. Food arrived after about 30 mins but not all food. We waited 10 mins and asked where rest of our food was. To be told side orders of potatoes and chips on their way but we didn't order the other main we enquired about. We eventually got side orders and other mains 1 hour after we had come in to eat, my stew came hack heated up too as I sent it back to be kept warm while waiting for potatoes but guess what my friend or I didn't get to eat our mains. Owner came around tables to ask if everyting was alright of course we said no, who else wouldn't? He said he would enquire as to what happened. He then came back to tell us we hadn't ordered the other items so delay was in a second order having to be placed. We highlighted to him that we did place all our orders at same time that it was bar guy that didn't take proper order. I mean we were missing sides that were supposed to come with main??. Owner said he had to listen to his staff and he had never had any complaints ever before! So with my Aunt and children finished their food. my friend and I started on ours but before we got to take a first bite, owner was back again to say, his staff were right and we did indeed place a second order. My Aunt told him yet again we didn't and surely bar guy, who is probably his son, should have realised 5 orders should have gone to kitchen, he said that he could count. My Aunt said ever hear of saying ' Customer is always right and owner said "Not in my hotel". So we got up and left, and paid for what was eaten and wine. But they were insisting I should pay for stew but I didn't considering I didn't eat it waiting for potatoes. We didn't have to pay other main course either. Owner ran out after us shouting at us, he was especially vocally aggressive with my Aunt, my 5 year old started crying at his. It as all so shocking. So folks remember customers do not matter in this establishment.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
6  Thank Dawmy
Reviewed 2 August 2009

This is an isolated hotel sitting right on the bay with fantastic views and beaches. The food was excellent as was the service. The atmosphere was fantastic with fires in the living areas and lovely silver tea service. We had a really relaxing stay here and would definitely come back. We would suggest that it is a romantic getaway for couples and not for families.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jupiter100
Reviewed 31 March 2009

A huge thanks to all at the Zetland who catered for our wedding in January. The genuine attentive service at all levels was a revelation for our guests. International guests were especially bowled away. The chef catered for 80 people (many of whom are 'foodies).Guests agreed that it was one of the best meals they have ever eaten in their lives. For us, the bride and groom, our demands were many on how we wanted things to look, taste, sound.... and our expectations were surpassed at every level.

• Stayed: January 2009
3  Thank moffireland
Reviewed 9 January 2009

This hotel needs a serious makeover and is not up to four star standard. The prices they charge do not reflect the fact that the interior, along with the heating system, seems to have been forgotten about for at least 25 years!
I stayed in the hotel in December and to say it was cold would be an understatement! As soon as you went past the reception and lobby area to the stairs to the bedrooms, the temperature dropped by about 15 degrees, the more stairs you climbed, the colder it got! It didnt get any better in the bedrooms either.
The bathrooms had this rather odd pheasant print on the toilet and sink, which added to the bizarre nature of the hotel, while the shower only trickled.
Staff were friendly enough, if at times a bit indifferent towards the guests.
Food was ok, nothing special but the views were very nice.
If you like being cold and creeped out by somewhere, then this is the place for you, however if that kind of thing doesn't really appeal, then avoid Zetland at all costs!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 17 September 2008

If you are looking for a generic, bland Celtic Tiger hotel experience, then head for The G or the Clayton. The Zetland Country House Hotel may be a little frayed at the edges, but, in my opinion, that is what gives it its charm.

My girlfriend and I stayed there over Easter and from the moment we drove up the drive we felt that we were stepping back to the Ireland of the 80s, when people had the time to spend chatting with strangers over a couple of pints about nothing much in particular.

The hotel is small enough for guests to get to know all the staff over a couple of days. Bronagh, the manager, clearly knows what she is about and runs the place with good humour and efficiency. The food in the restaurant was fantastic, with a French flair and the view from a window seat in the dining room incomparable.

If you want to get as far away from the brash, busy New Ireland as possible (without leaving the country) then I strongly recommend the Zetland Country House Hotel.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cashel
Ballynahinch Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Renvyle
Lough Inagh Lodge
Lough Inagh Lodge
#2 of 2 in Recess

Been to Zetland Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!