“Disappointing and dated”

Ranked #2 of 2 Cashel B&B and Inns
Galway, Ireland
“Disappointing and dated”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Let me start by saying that I truly appreciate the old world charm which I would have expected a country house hotel such as Cashel house to offer. Having stayed in many such establishments - including Gregan's castle, co. Clare and the park hotel,kenmare in the past, I decided to give Cashel house hotel a go. Bad decision. On arrival with my husband and nine month old we were met by a 'porter' who not only expected us to carry our own bags upstairs in addition to a small baby but also to return to our car for the buggy and baby paraphernalia when finished and to carry all that up to our room as well. As we had arrived late on a Friday evening from Galway I asked for a sandwich to tide me over til dinner time. A vigorous argument ensued with the manager who refused my request on the basis that afternoon tea had ended 15 mins ago and told me that I could wait for dinner. Our room was dated, musty and dare I say dirty. Bed linen and furnishings were well worn and tired looking. Breakfast the next day was a mealy-mouthed effort. My husband got one sausage on his plate, the fruit most certainly was not 'fresh' as advertised and portions were generally meagre. The atmosphere was not particularly warm and welcoming and I most certainly will not be back. If you want to experience 5 star service, food and accommodation I suggest you look further. Cashel house needs to seriously up its game if it is to survive into the future.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
14 Thank Niamh C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Reviewed 13 November 2013

this place is great, my girlfriend took me for my birthday and she got a deal from groupon or grabone or one of those sites. the place has such a old time feel about it, full with all the old style chairs and tables and bits and bobs, they use old fancy looking tea cups and all. the staff are great, friendly and very very helpful. the room was huge and the bed was great. gardens are great too, they also have stables and many horses and cats and chickens, lots of birds and even saw a fox pottering around.the food was amazing. dinner was fantastic, breakfast was also very tasty, even have gluten free options and the tea was esp nice. honest to god could not stop drinking it, only bad parts are a bit out of the way and is a little costly when paying full price and no wifi that we could find, but they all don't matter if you are looking for a break from the real world. is a great place to relax and unwind

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank roryface
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Cashel House is an exceptional hotel which I would recommend to every traveller. It is a wonderful country hotel just by a beautiful cove of Connemara in south western Ireland.

I have stayed three weekends there and would definitely stay again in my next trip. The atmosphere, the garden, the food, the rooms of a great variation and the staff are all something special. The owner Madam is an exceptional lady who takes care of every detail and welcome her guests always with a generous wide smile on.

I am looking forward to coming back to Cashel House, whenever possible.

Levent from Denmark.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the back garden are extremely quite and with a wonderful view where you can hear the bi...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Spent a delightful night in the Cashel House Hotel, Connemara recently.
This really is a gem, old world, and genuinely charming in every way. The service, room and food were top quality and the fact that we had availed of a deal offer made it that bit better value.

I can see why so many celebrities fell for it's secluded grace over the years not least Charles de Gaulle and his family back in 1969.
Would highly recommend this hotel for a quiet and peaceful escape.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bert M
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

This was our 6th visit to what has become an annual retreat to Cashel with our 2 girls ages 6 & 10. The location is in the beatiful wilds of Connemara which has a unique & ancient landscape with rugged hills & stunning unspoiled beaches nearby - gurteen is our favourite. We always feel well looked after with a personal attention & care from Mrs Mc Evilly, Ray & all the staff who are warm, discrete & courteous. The food is outstanding, particularly the local seafood. We always try to have one of the garden suites which easlily accomodates the 4 of us & is a lovely mix of luxury & comfort. The hotel is large enough so that we never feel we are intruding with our children. There is a children's room with toys & TV/DVD if needed although our 2 were v happy just to roam around. We are always sad to leave & will keep returning.

Room Tip: pay a little extra or try to find a special deal on one of the garden rooms.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank newalls2013
Cork
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We had had afternoon tea in this charming hotel on a previous occasion and were keen to stay, so unfortunately our expectations were high upon arrival. Sadly we were disappointed, mostly by the quality of the room we stayed in. It was dated and the beds were rather uncomfortable. That said, the staff could not have been more helpful or courteous and they did offer to move us to another room (which we viewed and decided not to move).

The breakfast was very good, served in the conservatory with a view of the gardens. The setting of the hotel is quite lovely, but be aware that it is very far from anything (not even a little shop nearby). If you are looking for a remote escape it would fit the bill.

Room Tip: I have heard the rooms in the newer part of the hotel at the back are the nicest.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We have stayed at the Cashel House on 4 seprate occasions and each has been a delight from beginning to end. Perfectly located in the heart of Cashel with short walks to the best of the area. In the shadow of the Rock of Cashel you feel like you are in the very center of the Irish World. Outstanding management overshadow the old facility limitations of no elevator, but its still worth the stop and the wonderful experience.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cashel
Abbeyglen Castle Hotel
#1 of 6 in Oughterard
Connemara Sands Hotel & Spa
Connemara Sands Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Ballyconneely

Been to Cashel House Hotel? Share your experiences!