“Felt Like I was Home”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Inishbofin
Notre Dame, Indiana
“Felt Like I was Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

I stayed at The Doonmore Hotel last week, and it was an amazing experience. There was something about the place that made me feel like I was returning home, and the entire experience was personal, small-town, and friendly. We were prepared to be out exploring the beautiful sites on the island most of the day, so they made my entire group packed lunches to eat on the fields, and when I returned, there was a warm fire waiting for me! The rooms were wonderfully comfortable as well after a day of hiking.
Definitely check out the small friendly bar connected to the hotel. The bartender has an amazing voice, if you can bribe him enough to sing ;)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
WestMan77, Manager at Doonmore Hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear Mark,

Thank you for your lovely review of our hotel. Although it was only for a few days, we enjoyed having you and your friends staying with us and hope that the next time you will get to stay longer.
There are some people who you know just 'get' Inishbofin and what we at The Doonmore are all about. I know you are one of those and I although I'm not sure about how amazing the voice is, I promise I will sing the next time!!!

Andrew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Clinton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

We took the ferry from Cleggan a few weekends ago for The Taste of Inishbofin and also to visit a few cousins. Since we knew nothing about the ferry we were up "Front and Center" soaking in the beautiful view........... Until the waves started crashing over the sides of the boat and we were soaked to the bones! Luckily for us Andrew had the van at the pier and took a few of us up to the hotel to check in, and placed all the wet clothing into the dryer. Within an hour we were out exploring this beautiful island........... Accommodations were great, central location and dinner was wonderful. Great music in the pub as well. Our only problem is we never know when to go to bed and always stay out late..... Lucky for us the van picks you up at the pier on arrival and delivers you back to the pier on departure. And the rooms rates including breakfast are very reasonable. Looking forward to our next visit to Bofin........ And next time it will be for a longer stay...........

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Dan,

Thank you for your fantastic review, I believe it really gives a good idea of what we are all about. I personally do not think twice about what extent I have to go to to make our guests' stays as enjoyable as can be and I know the rest of the staff sing from the same hymn sheet. (Literally in some cases!!)
I would not ever wait for a guest to ask if we could dry some clothes (especially those daredevil types who stand at the bow of the ferry) but would offer immediately, and lend them spare gear if required while they are drying
( a pair of leggings in the case of one of your buddies!).
The only thing I regret about your trip is that it was so short as to be honest, you and your group only enhanced what was a typically great night in the bar.
I really look forward to your next (longer) stay.

Kindest regards,

Roscommon, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

A group of six of us stayed 3 nights in September. The owner was extremely helpful and made us feel very welcome taking our bags off us at the pier. Its a 10 minute walk from the pier to the hotel. We stayed half board and really enjoyed the dinner menu which changed nightly. Its quite a small rustic hotel and we had the best of service throughout our stay. Bofin is a very relaxing place to unwind.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
WestMan77, Manager at Doonmore Hotel, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear Fergus,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are delighted you and your group enjoyed your stay and I hope you make it back to stay with us again in 2014.
We pride ourselves on the quality of our service and it's always great to know that our efforts make our guests' stay so much more enjoyable.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

Is there anything as nice as a very friendly pick up from the Ferry, up to sit outside a warm family hotel, having a pint on the bench, with Beautiful islands in the distance - did you ever get the feeling off "ahh I am home "
Great food, music and craic , family ran and during your stay you will feel part of a big Inis Boffin family....

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Tullys K,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I think you have worded the essence of many of our guests' experience in just a few sentences.
Hospitality is our game and we aim to be the best but it is lovely to know it doesn't go unnoticed. I think most people 'get' what Bofin and Murray's is all about and generally that sigh you spoke of is the giveaway.
It is such a privilege to know that we are part of what creates an atmosphere that makes our visitors feel that way. After all, isn't that what holidays should be all about.
Thank you again and I look forward to seeing you on your next trip...sighing contentedly again..

Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

My wife and I traveled to Ireland to celebrate our honeymoon. We chose Inishbofin because it is a little less touristy than other islands/destinations. We were met at the pier by Andrew Murray who took our bags and drove us to the hotel. Andrew could not have been a more gracious host. He drove us around the island during the rainy moments and showed us the sights and gave the history of the town. The hotel was clean, comfortable and the pub served excellent food. We were fortunate enough to be there during the church's 100th year anniversary. Since everything closed down for the celebration, we were invited to mass and the party after. There was great food and wonderful music from Don Stiffe. My wife and I took advantage of the sunny weather and took the hike on the west side of the Island where we were able to see some amazing scenery and beautiful views. The overall feeling of the island is one of comfort and a close knit community that is welcoming to visitors. I highly recommend visiting the island and staying at this hotel. You will not regret it. We cannot wait to go back.

A sincere and heartfelt thank you, Murray family.

-Bruce and Elizabeth

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Bruce and Elizabeth,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I hope the rest of your honeymoon was as enjoyable and that married life is going really well.
I am delighted you both enjoyed you your stay with us and that you got to see the island in all its glory, rainy days mixed with beautiful sunny weather, amazing views and a people welcoming you into the centre of the community.
I though it was quite brave for a couple of New Yorkers to take the chance on visiting a little island off the west coast of Ireland as part of your honeymoon. However, as soon as I met you I knew instantly that you would enjoy the experience. I really hope to see you both staying with us again, maybe for a wedding anniversary!

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

Inishbofin had an Indian summer last Saturday! And it was wonderful to be there for it, the island is beautiful and staying in Murray's hotel was a treat, great food, staff and the icing on the cake was a wonderful music session in the bar with Declan O'Rourke making an appearance, you could hear a pin drop when he sang Yellow Moon. Andrew Murray is also a wonderful voice and he treated us to a few songs. A great night.

Dear Mirtha,

Thank you for your review. We really appreciate people making the effort to let us, and future visitors, know how we are doing.
I remember the night in question and it was what is known as a typical Doonmore session! Our bar is famous for such nights and I'm delighted you got to witness one of the really special ones. There was some serious talent around the fireplace that night and it was a privilege to be part of it.
I hope you make the Doonmore a regular venue for your holidays and you never know who you might get to hear singing in that cosy little bar the next time.

Andrew Murray
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

I stayed for two nights with a group of 38 hikers. Food was excelent for all meals. The staff were very kind and helpful. I will definitely be returning Really an enjoyable stay in Inishbifin Island,Ireland.
Katherine Glennon

Room Tip: annex nice and quiet