“'Peace comes dropping slow'”
Review of Doonmore Hotel

Doonmore Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Inishbofin
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Seeking peace and tranquility in an idylic setting or 'Ceoil agus Craic' at evening Trad Sessions? You'll find it at Doonmore Hotel, Innisbofin. Situated at the Western quarter of the Island surrounded by breath taking scenery, this is a home from home. A warm welcome and delicious food in a very comfortable and relaxing surrounding. Thank you Andrew and staff for making our stay such a pleasant one. We are already planning our return to your fair shores.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
WestMan77, Manager at Doonmore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Anne Marie S,

Thank you so much for your review and I'm Delighted you enjoyed this beautiful island and particularly our hotel,. As with so many of your guests, you picked out a 'warm welcome and delicious food in a very comfortable and relaxing surrounding' which is exactly what we strive for.

I do hope you have made it back to visit again already or will get the chance to do so in the near future. I also hope that your second visit is as enjoyable as the first.

Thank you again for the lovely review.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

After a long and tough winter the clouds finally parted and the sun came out, so a group of us decided to head out to Bofin for the weekend. I forgot what a great spot this place is, and I also forgot how well you're looked after at the Doonmore. Andrew Murray and his team of friendly staff couldn't have done more for us: we were collected from the boat, shown a few sights, and brought to our cozy rooms. As soon as you walk in it's impossible not to relax, and the head immediately slows down. The atmosphere of the hotel tells of generations of families who previously came here to 'down tools', and this tradition is clearly continued today with the current line up of incredibly helpful staff.
The little bar is warm and inviting, and the food is amazing. Fresh, made to order, with quality ingredients, all for a reasonable price. What more could you ask for? In the evening, the bar changed from a refuge of replenishment to a place of chat, music and song. A great night was had.
Breakfast was, again, fresh and plentiful. A solid fry up after a night on the creamy stout, the perfect cure.
Couldn't have asked for more, so thanks for the brilliant stay.
We'll be back! ;)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank mickjclancy
WestMan77, Manager at Doonmore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear mickjclancy,

Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel. It brings us great satisfaction to know that our guests continue to enjoy what we have to offer them and, whether it's a large group or an individual guest, we try hard to make sure each guest's stay is better than they expect and leave us wanting to come back.
In this age of hectic work lives and financial pressures, we like our guests to be able to leave their cares behind on the mainland and allow us to look after them from the moment they arrive on the pier on Bofin. From that moment it is our job to make sure you can enjoy your well deserved break. We have a fantastic group of people working very hard here, both front of house and behind the scenes, who all want to do that little bit extra and for whom nothing is a problem, so you can relax and enjoy your stay.
I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay, which was obviously not your first visit, and I do hope you come back to visit soon again.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

- pick-up from harbour
- baggage can be left in the morning at the hotel and will be brought to the harbour for your leaving ship (though we did not use this service as we had only backpacks with us, nevertheless Andrew made sure at the harbour that we have all our stuff)
- superb view from hotel room
- very good food (breakfast and restaurant/pub alike)
- don't miss the music evening to experience authentic Ireland
- once Andrew knew our names he did not forget and greeted us friendly every time he met us on the island (which happens a lot due to the size of the island)
- very friendly staff, they make you feel like being part of the family
- the room was basic but fine and clean
- Pub seems to be the meeting point of the island (don't worry at least in our room we were not disturbed by any noise) and serves reasonably priced drinks and food
- don't get a sunburn on the hotel's "terrace" since you might stay there longer than intended (relaxing atmosphere, sea-view, guinness, burger)

Room Tip: I've heard the rooms at the backside (new part of hotel) are better equipped, but then you would...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael E

Dear Michael E,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our hotel. I believe strongly that it is our duty, not just our job, to do everything possible to make each of our guest's stay as relaxed and enjoyable as possible.
Having stayed and having been a customer myself in hundreds of hotels, bars and restaurants, I like to take the best of my collective experiences and compare them to our hotel. To be fair, all I really have to do is continue the excellent tradition of the welcoming atmosphere, superior customer care and attention to detail started by my parents 45 years ago and continued by various members of our family to this day. I have to thank our fantastic staff for their hugely important role in all of this too.
I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I hope we see you again soon.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

Although I have not stayed in the Doonmore I have spent alot of time relaxing there! The food is delicious & the crab claws are the best you will ever taste! Whether you want to chill & read looking out at the fabulous views or want to take part in the excellent music sessions; there is always a welcome. The staff are very friendly & give an excellent service. I always rent a house on the island but if I was going for a weekend or a few days to Bofin Murrays
(The Doonmore) would be the place to stay for an authentic Inisbofin experience!

• Stayed: April 2013
WestMan77, Manager at Doonmore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2014

Dear JenningsSteph,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your lovely review. It is always great when people who haven't actually stayed in the hotel let us know how we are doing on the basis of what they experience during visits to the bar or restaurant.
Our welcome, service and hospitality extends to all-comers and I'm delighted that you have experienced this for yourself.
We intend to continue to improve our levels of service and hospitality so please call in on your next visit and let me know how we are doing.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Inisbofin is simply a magical island. A little hidden gem. A beautiful place to be. The Doonmore (Murray's) Hotel exemplifies all that is so pure, so deeply relaxing, so wonderful about the Island and it's people. The Murray family are friendly, courteous and professional at all times. They are also a family of talented cooks and musicians which makes for an amazing holiday.

Room Tip: Why not have a sea view to wake up to.....
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Dear TrishHeg,

Thank you for your lovely review. I agree totally with your succinct summary of Inishbofin.
One of the corner stones of our business philosophy is that we reflect all that is great about this island and make our guests feel part of this special place, feel valued and treated as well as could be.
It is our pleasure to have guests like yourself who understand what the island and our hotel are about. It makes it all worthwhile when we see these same guests coming back to us again and again.
I hope to see you in 2104 when all this winter weather is but a memory.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Spent two nights at the Doonmore and it was a great experience. It is owned and run by an incredibly friendly family. They made sure we had everything we needed and were as comfortable as possible. I highly recommend staying at the Doonmore, you won't regret it!

• Stayed: October 2013
WestMan77, Manager at Doonmore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Dear Patrick,

Thank you so much for your recent review of our hotel. It was a pleasure to have you and your group staying with us and we look forward to many of you returning again.
It is great to know that what we do is appreciated by so many people from so many different places around the world.

Wishing you, your family and friends a very happy Christmas.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

I stayed at The Doonmore Hotel last week, and it was an amazing experience. There was something about the place that made me feel like I was returning home, and the entire experience was personal, small-town, and friendly. We were prepared to be out exploring the beautiful sites on the island most of the day, so they made my entire group packed lunches to eat on the fields, and when I returned, there was a warm fire waiting for me! The rooms were wonderfully comfortable as well after a day of hiking.
Definitely check out the small friendly bar connected to the hotel. The bartender has an amazing voice, if you can bribe him enough to sing ;)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Mark,

Thank you for your lovely review of our hotel. Although it was only for a few days, we enjoyed having you and your friends staying with us and hope that the next time you will get to stay longer.
There are some people who you know just 'get' Inishbofin and what we at The Doonmore are all about. I know you are one of those and I although I'm not sure about how amazing the voice is, I promise I will sing the next time!!!

Andrew

Also consider these accommodations in or near Inishbofin
Ardagh Hotel & Restaurant
Rosleague Manor Hotel
Rosleague Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Letterfrack
Abbeyglen Castle Hotel

Been to Doonmore Hotel? Share your experiences!