“Great place to stay”
Review of Doonmore Hotel

Doonmore Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Inishbofin
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This is our second visit to the Doonmore Hotel and I'm sure we will be back again. The friendliness and hospitality of the owners and staff exceeds expectations. It's like a home from home. The food is fantastic and the bar is cosy with great music sessions. I'm looking forward to returning soon.

• Stayed: May 2014
WestMan77, Manager at Doonmore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear TravelladyIreland,

Thank you for your very positive review. I'm delighted that you found your second stay as pleasant as your previous visit. We aim to be consistently good at what we do and it is only when guests like yourself come back to us and are able to tell us that we can be sure. For us it is all about our guests and we always try to do that little bit more to ensure you have a pleasant stay .

I hope you get the chance to make it back a third time very soon.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Thanks to Andrew and the entire staff at Doonmore, we had a fantastic stay. The room was clean and comfortable, breakfast was decent and Murray's Bar...well it didn't let us down either night! My husband and I spent 2 nights in Doonmore Hotel and we thought the service was excellent. We were met at the pier by Andrew who brought us up to the hotel where we were checked in and walked to our room. The bar staff were fantastic to us. I forgot my trainers (essential for walking around the island) and Donna was kind enough to lend me hers! The Sunday Session is a must-do, we absolutely enjoyed it. Overall, I have to say we were delighted with the Doonmore. Thanks again to everyone there, we will most certainly be back soon!

Room Tip: Probably worth booking a sea-view room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Michelle C,

Thank you for taking the time to write your lovely review. I remember the day you discovered you had left your runners behind and your partner timidly and doubtfully asking if I could do anything to help. I was delighted to find Donna had a pair that fitted. I hate not to be able to sort out problems, however minor, for our guests, as even little things can impact negatively on an otherwise enjoyable holiday
I am blessed with a great team of people around me in the Doonmore who all have customer care to the forefront of their minds and who will all go above and beyond the call of duty to make your stay as pleasant and memorable as possible. Our food, service and atmosphere are constantly being complimented and commented on, both online and in person. I'm delighted you appreciated it all and I hope to see you both back again soon.

Andrew
I do hope to see you both back again

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Thank you Andrew and your wonderful staff for a magic three nights/4 days on 'Bofin. Our group consisted of parents, adult children and three grandchildren - one five year old, one 8 months and one six months old. We were treated royally! Each evening, as we arrived at our table for dinner, there were two high chairs seated ready for the babies. There were no frowns either as our babies made themselves known! Our dinners, lunches and breakfasts were delicious, fresh and incredibly good value. All served by the friendliest staff who clearly enjoy their work. Doonmore's hospitality and warm welcome settled us all in. We originally intended staying for two nights only but such was our enjoyment of Doonmore and 'Bofin that we were delighted when Andrew could accommodate an extra night. The sun shone and we climbed the hills (prams and all). It was a tonic, a wonderful family memory and all have agreed we cannot wait to return. No wonder the hotel is so busy. Thank you to all, we had a great time.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Doonanore,

Thank you so much for your lovely review of our hotel. I remember your family and I have to say you were all a pleasure to have stay with us. I love that there were several generations and, if I'm not mistaken, different nationalities, all here together and all enjoying the holiday equally. We are a family owned and managed hotel and we have catered for families for generations. I have no doubt we will see you again and that the babies will be coming back with their own children sometime in a few decades time.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Thanks Andrew and staff for creating a very special break for rosemary and myself
We celebrated our pearl wedding anniversary on Bofin
From start to finish everything was brilliant
I am sitting at the harbour an hour away from my departure
The clouds are beginning to gather after four days of wonderful sunshine
The attention we received was amazing and this was replicated everywhere we went
The food was great and we were lucky to be there for two lively music sessions
Though really busy preparing for a wedding we always felt that our visit was very important to Andrew and gang
Much is made about the demise of the family run hotel
My experience this week has copperfastened for me how the family run hotel should become a "protected species"
and everything done to ensure its survival
It has taken me almost 55 years to discover this little jewel
We will return and we won't need to do any research re accommodation
Thanks tripadvisor for putting us on the right path
A last coffee under the reappeared sunshine and then off to meet Andrew with our bags at the ferry
See you all soon
PS next time we need to hear you sing

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear MGarv,

I believe the M in MGarv is Micheal and I remember you and Rosemary well. To be honest, I was initially a little concerned that on the last night of your stay you would feel out of place having so many wedding guests around on the night before the wedding. However, I knew by the second day of your 3 night stay that it would not be an issue as you were very obviously 'Bofin people' as we call guests who get what this hotel and the island are all about.
I wish I knew about the anniversary though as I like to do something special for such events, even much less momentous than a 30th wedding anniversary. However, I'm truly delighted that you finally discovered us and more importantly that you enjoyed your visit as much as you obviously did. I'm totally in agreement with you regarding the value of the family run hotel. It saddens me greatly that so many places like this have been left by the wayside never to be replaced, in favour of soulless functional, sterile modern buildings. The Celtic Trojan Horse has a lot to answer for but it never got through the gates of the Doonmore. We're still here when many of the aforementioned stand as sad decaying monuments to the madness that destroyed some real gems.
I look forward to seeing you both again soon,

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Seeking peace and tranquility in an idylic setting or 'Ceoil agus Craic' at evening Trad Sessions? You'll find it at Doonmore Hotel, Innisbofin. Situated at the Western quarter of the Island surrounded by breath taking scenery, this is a home from home. A warm welcome and delicious food in a very comfortable and relaxing surrounding. Thank you Andrew and staff for making our stay such a pleasant one. We are already planning our return to your fair shores.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Anne Marie S,

Thank you so much for your review and I'm Delighted you enjoyed this beautiful island and particularly our hotel,. As with so many of your guests, you picked out a 'warm welcome and delicious food in a very comfortable and relaxing surrounding' which is exactly what we strive for.

I do hope you have made it back to visit again already or will get the chance to do so in the near future. I also hope that your second visit is as enjoyable as the first.

Thank you again for the lovely review.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

After a long and tough winter the clouds finally parted and the sun came out, so a group of us decided to head out to Bofin for the weekend. I forgot what a great spot this place is, and I also forgot how well you're looked after at the Doonmore. Andrew Murray and his team of friendly staff couldn't have done more for us: we were collected from the boat, shown a few sights, and brought to our cozy rooms. As soon as you walk in it's impossible not to relax, and the head immediately slows down. The atmosphere of the hotel tells of generations of families who previously came here to 'down tools', and this tradition is clearly continued today with the current line up of incredibly helpful staff.
The little bar is warm and inviting, and the food is amazing. Fresh, made to order, with quality ingredients, all for a reasonable price. What more could you ask for? In the evening, the bar changed from a refuge of replenishment to a place of chat, music and song. A great night was had.
Breakfast was, again, fresh and plentiful. A solid fry up after a night on the creamy stout, the perfect cure.
Couldn't have asked for more, so thanks for the brilliant stay.
We'll be back! ;)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank mickjclancy
WestMan77, Manager at Doonmore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear mickjclancy,

Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel. It brings us great satisfaction to know that our guests continue to enjoy what we have to offer them and, whether it's a large group or an individual guest, we try hard to make sure each guest's stay is better than they expect and leave us wanting to come back.
In this age of hectic work lives and financial pressures, we like our guests to be able to leave their cares behind on the mainland and allow us to look after them from the moment they arrive on the pier on Bofin. From that moment it is our job to make sure you can enjoy your well deserved break. We have a fantastic group of people working very hard here, both front of house and behind the scenes, who all want to do that little bit extra and for whom nothing is a problem, so you can relax and enjoy your stay.
I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay, which was obviously not your first visit, and I do hope you come back to visit soon again.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

- pick-up from harbour
- baggage can be left in the morning at the hotel and will be brought to the harbour for your leaving ship (though we did not use this service as we had only backpacks with us, nevertheless Andrew made sure at the harbour that we have all our stuff)
- superb view from hotel room
- very good food (breakfast and restaurant/pub alike)
- don't miss the music evening to experience authentic Ireland
- once Andrew knew our names he did not forget and greeted us friendly every time he met us on the island (which happens a lot due to the size of the island)
- very friendly staff, they make you feel like being part of the family
- the room was basic but fine and clean
- Pub seems to be the meeting point of the island (don't worry at least in our room we were not disturbed by any noise) and serves reasonably priced drinks and food
- don't get a sunburn on the hotel's "terrace" since you might stay there longer than intended (relaxing atmosphere, sea-view, guinness, burger)

Room Tip: I've heard the rooms at the backside (new part of hotel) are better equipped, but then you would...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael E

Dear Michael E,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our hotel. I believe strongly that it is our duty, not just our job, to do everything possible to make each of our guest's stay as relaxed and enjoyable as possible.
Having stayed and having been a customer myself in hundreds of hotels, bars and restaurants, I like to take the best of my collective experiences and compare them to our hotel. To be fair, all I really have to do is continue the excellent tradition of the welcoming atmosphere, superior customer care and attention to detail started by my parents 45 years ago and continued by various members of our family to this day. I have to thank our fantastic staff for their hugely important role in all of this too.
I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I hope we see you again soon.

Andrew

Also consider these accommodations in or near Inishbofin
Inishbofin House Hotel & Marine Spa
Connemara Sands Hotel & Spa
Connemara Sands Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Ballyconneely
Ardagh Hotel & Restaurant
The Dolphin Hotel and Restaurant Inishbofin
Ballynahinch Castle Hotel
Abbeyglen Castle Hotel

Been to Doonmore Hotel? Share your experiences!