“The best hotel in Ireland”
Review of Doonmore Hotel

Doonmore Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Inishbofin
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Amazing, well-staffed, beautiful setting, comfy rooms and really good food. What else can you ask for? This is what real Irish hospitality was before the accountants and receivers came in (thanks Andrew and company!). Will definitely be back there again :)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
WestMan77, Manager at Doonmore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Francis,

Thank you for your lovely review. You haven't beaten about the bush with the title of your review, thank you, that's quite a compliment. It is a genuine aim of mine to make it the best hotel in Ireland by the way, so I'm glad you have set the bar that high...nothing like a little bit of pressure to spur one on!
Our accountant is paid by us to do our accounts and there isn't and won't be a receiver anywhere near this hotel.
While hotels are an expensive business to operate and even more so out on an island, what doesn't cost money is a smile and, as you put it, real Irish hospitality so we can serve that up by the bucket load!

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Andrew and crew
Thank you for making our stay a memorable one last weekend. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Food ceol agus craic. Great island ,great people.looking forward to a return visit ;-) Emma .

Dear Emma,

Thank you for your review and I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay. This year so many more people from Connaught have discovered what is on their doorstep and have come out to visit our beautiful island. I repeatedly hear people asking 'Why have we not come out here before?' I'm not sure if this was your first visit but I really hope you do make a stay in the Doonmore a regular event.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

It was my first stay on Inishbofin Island, the hotel is just fabulous, I had non en suit ocean view room which was perfect for one night stay. There is a cosy bar&restaurant downstairs when I had the best dessert in my life (warm chocolate cake with toffee sauce and vanilla ice cream). Highly recommended.

Room Tip: non ensuite room with fabulous ocean view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear Sebastian,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and I agree, the view is magic, enchanting even. It has put a spell on many people over the years so I'm sure you will be back. The sticky toffee cake gets a 10 out of 10 every time and is very popular so give me a call before your next visit so I can make sure we have enough baked!!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I cannot say how much I enjoy this super little hotel. It has it all, location, location, location, friendly staff and owners, great food and music in the bar. While I was there last weekend I realised I have been coming out to the island for fourty years ! My first experience of the friendly welcome was back in the 1970's was as a school leaver on a camping trip, I asked in the Doonmore was there anywhere I could camp and they allowed me and my friends to pitch our tents right beside the hotel. For the last 15 years I have been enjoying the comforts of the hotel as well as the bar !!

Room Tip: ask for a room with a sea view..... waking up to that view is something special
1  Thank PeterMBuchanan
WestMan77, Manager at Doonmore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Peter,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your great review of the Doonmore Hotel. It is great when a long time regular guest writes a review as it gives a longer term perspective of our business to new guests and staff alike. the first time you came to Bofin the hotel was run by my parents and now many of their grandchildren work here. It is a matter of pride to us to keep up the traditions they forged from 1969 which is why reviews from guests like yourself are so important to us.
I'm delighted that you obviously see that those excellent foundations of great hospitality are still rock solid. So many of our guests, new and long time regulars, comment on how they feel like part of the family. It is not an accident that this happens, that is genuinely how we want people to feel and we have been blessed with great staff over the years who always adopt this attitude. To us, while our guests are staying with us, they are our family.
I hope we see you soon again.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Not long back from another wonderful visit to Inishbofin with my parents. We were there for the Arts Festival, so the island was a hive of activity, with workshops, drama, music and dance going on! Once again we stayed in the Doonmore Hotel, and once again I can't speak highly enough of the hospitality we received. It really is like a home from home, minus the stress! Rooms are clean and comfortable, with stunning ocean views from the front of the hotel. The food, both in the dining room and the bar is consistently good (I would highly recommend the fish/sea food!) And last, but not least, undoubtedly the nicest staff I've ever encountered. Lean ar aghaidh leis an dea obair Andrew agus an foireann go léir!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
WestMan77, Manager at Doonmore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Mary F,

Thank you for your second lovely review. I don't often know the people who review us as they use different names or nicknames but I do know you and your family. You say it is like a home from home and that is exactly how we want you and all our guests to feel. we genuinely love to look after our guests and to make everyone feel as welcome and relaxed as possible. It is also great to know that long time regulars can see how the Doonmore has maintained it's consistency in terms of our food, service, cleanliness and atmosphere. Those are the lynchpins of our business.

I always look forward to you and your family visiting and I hope to see you all again soon.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

This is our second visit to the Doonmore Hotel and I'm sure we will be back again. The friendliness and hospitality of the owners and staff exceeds expectations. It's like a home from home. The food is fantastic and the bar is cosy with great music sessions. I'm looking forward to returning soon.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear TravelladyIreland,

Thank you for your very positive review. I'm delighted that you found your second stay as pleasant as your previous visit. We aim to be consistently good at what we do and it is only when guests like yourself come back to us and are able to tell us that we can be sure. For us it is all about our guests and we always try to do that little bit more to ensure you have a pleasant stay .

I hope you get the chance to make it back a third time very soon.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Thanks to Andrew and the entire staff at Doonmore, we had a fantastic stay. The room was clean and comfortable, breakfast was decent and Murray's Bar...well it didn't let us down either night! My husband and I spent 2 nights in Doonmore Hotel and we thought the service was excellent. We were met at the pier by Andrew who brought us up to the hotel where we were checked in and walked to our room. The bar staff were fantastic to us. I forgot my trainers (essential for walking around the island) and Donna was kind enough to lend me hers! The Sunday Session is a must-do, we absolutely enjoyed it. Overall, I have to say we were delighted with the Doonmore. Thanks again to everyone there, we will most certainly be back soon!

Room Tip: Probably worth booking a sea-view room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Michelle C,

Thank you for taking the time to write your lovely review. I remember the day you discovered you had left your runners behind and your partner timidly and doubtfully asking if I could do anything to help. I was delighted to find Donna had a pair that fitted. I hate not to be able to sort out problems, however minor, for our guests, as even little things can impact negatively on an otherwise enjoyable holiday
I am blessed with a great team of people around me in the Doonmore who all have customer care to the forefront of their minds and who will all go above and beyond the call of duty to make your stay as pleasant and memorable as possible. Our food, service and atmosphere are constantly being complimented and commented on, both online and in person. I'm delighted you appreciated it all and I hope to see you both back again soon.

Andrew
I do hope to see you both back again

Also consider these accommodations in or near Inishbofin
Inishbofin House Hotel & Marine Spa
Abbeyglen Castle Hotel
Rosleague Manor Hotel
Rosleague Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Letterfrack

Been to Doonmore Hotel? Share your experiences!