“Never Again!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Inishbofin
Inishbofin Island Hostel
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I called and booked in advance a room for myself, husband, teenage son & daughter was told that they would book a four bedded dorm and I gave my credit card to confirm the booking. Prior to arriving I called to confirm all was in order and the gentleman I spoke to told me that I had only booked a 3 bed, I explained that I had confirmed my reservation with a credit card on the day that I had booked this and his reply was 'that makes no difference as the beds were not availble now' he was rude and indifferent. We were attending a family wedding so we had no choice but to take the 3 bedded room and book my daughter into one of the female dorms. I found the hostel to be dirty and very unclean, the fidges was dirty and the bedding was stained. Thankfully we had sleeping bags so we did not need to use the bed linen. The smell in the room was vile. Bathrooms, and in particular the showers were a disgrace. We had only booked for the one night as we had a house booked for the rest of our stay, so again we advoided having to use the showers which I heard from other members were cold. Other members of the wedding party had stayed there also, who felt that the hostel was very unclean. There is no excuse for accomadation to be that unclean.

Room Tip: Book a B&B plenty of lovely ones on the Island!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank ruddyAthenry

Reviewed 10 June 2013 via mobile

On a high note I really enjoyed my stay of two nights here as the staff working in the hostel were very warm and welcoming. The kitchen facilities and were of a very good standard. The sunroom is a lovely place to relax or enjoy a meal. It's very in a lovely location.
However, my room was ok. The bathroom and showers were very poor in terms of cleanliness. Also, each morning there wasn't any hot water to shower which I found very inconvenient to say the least. There was an option of paying €2 to use another shower but I abstained as it was unclean. It is such a shame as the rest of my experience was so positive.

• Stayed: May 2013
6  Thank Nicole00000
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We camped here with another couple, we had use of the hostel communal areas and showers which were basic but absolutely fine. The staff were really nice, they were really helpful when our wet suits went missing which they were dumbfounded with as they never had anything stolen at the hostel before. Turned out another guest took them by mistake but the owners got them back to us at the boat.
Beware of the dogs who ate my friends paracetamol I hope he is still alive.

Room Tip: Its very dark walking back from the pub at night, bring a torch or if your mobile phone has battery...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Stayed in this hostel for 2 nights at a weekend during May. Stayed with 2 friends. The hostel was quiet so we had an 8 bed dorm to ourselves. The hostel is a lot busier in July and August.

It's about a 700 metres (5 to 10 mins walk aprox) uphill from the ferry.

The hostel seems to have 4 dorms (the ones I saw were 8 bed dorms), 2 double rooms and 4 family rooms. There is a kitchen (well stocked with utensils) , and plenty of eating space along with a small living room. The conservatory at the front of the building is nice and bright. There is also a camping area. They also have some board/card games that you can use.

The hostel was very clean. There is no charge for the showers - that said the flow of water was only ok and temperature was only luke warm.

The hotel next door has a bar and restaurant and serves bar food until 9pm. I don't think its always open though. The next nearest pub is about 500 meters away - down towards the pier.

There is only one shop on the island (in a portacabin near the ferry) and its only open for a few hours a day. It also serves as the post office :-) So really you should bring any food you will require with you from the mainland.

There are no street lights on the island so its worth bringing a torch if you plan on being out after dark.

Overall it was a lovely hostel located just outside the main area. Its very peaceful with no sound of passing traffic! The showers are the reason I haven't given it 5 stars. Also it was quiet when we were there so I can't commit on how it would be in the height of summer. (The dorms looked like they would be tight on space when fully occupied.)

Inisbofin is a lovely island and well worth a visit!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank dee153
Reviewed 9 March 2013

I usually stay in this hostel when I visit Bofin over the years it can safely say it is all round excellent. The cheapest beds on the island (and even cheaper camping), still everything in clean easygoing, friendly/helpful and spacious enough. The dorms are not too large and they'll spread you out if the place is not full. There is a great atmosphere, perhaps a result of the easygoing island life, where everyone hangs out and chats or plays board games into the evening/before the pub. There is a large grass room with awesome views as well as a lovely sitting room with a stove. If the weather's nice it's lovely to sit outside too. ONLY negitave I can think of is the showers are a bit miserable but sure with these prices who cares, that's hosteling.

Room Tip: Camp and use all the facilities all the time, also no need to book that way.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Stayed there for the weekend with 4 other girls. Its a nice walk from the pier (boat) and its a steep hill but a beautiful walk. Hostel is clean. Lovely communal feel to the place. everyone was so friendly. Bedrooms were fine. 3 bunk beds for the 5 of us. Tight enough on space but it adds to the charm! Lovely walk to "the Beach" pub which was excellent!
Can't wait to come back

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Everything was so positive about this place. There is a conservatory where people eat and chat late into the evening. Owners top notch, obliging people. Very clean. Could not recommend enough. I'm fussy and would not give it to them if it was not top drawer. Well done all, thank you very much for a great time. I'll definintely be back and will tell all and sundry.

Room Tip: You may be able to hear the chat from downstairs if you stay in Dorm number two.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends