“Lovely hotel...but very poor dinner in restaurant...”

Inishbofin House Hotel & Marine Spa
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Inishbofin
County Offaly, Ireland
“Lovely hotel...but very poor dinner in restaurant...”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We stayed here for a friday and saturday night recently, the hotel is not 4 star but the staff are pleasant, it is clean and the views and convenience of the location more than make up for any lack of star rating... I stayed here in 2010 and the one thing I remembered was that the dinner in the evening was delicious and very good value, however this was not our experience this time, there were 3 courses and tea/coffee for €35.00 - rather limited when you consider the location that seafood should be very much in evidence on the menu.. anyhow i had smoked salmon to start which was your average supermarket smoked salmon with some salad and dressing, my main course was sea bass with potato and veg, two very small pieces of fish came out on the plate covered in a horrible creamy looking sauce, you could not taste the fish for the sauce, the fish reminded me of what i normally buy in my local supermarket for a couple of euros, the veg were fine but the potato was very obviously cooked earlier and re heated - i was so disappointed, the food was not bad it was just bland and tasteless, my friend had Gnocchi which really wasnt much better and again covered in the same horrible sauce. As we didnt have desert we were charged €30 which really for the quality of food that was presented was extremely expensive - Chapter one in Dublin a michelin star restaurant charge €36.50 for their pre theatre menu and to have these menus priced almost the same was just ridicilous.
The breakfast in the hotel was very good, nice freshly cooked to order, did nt eat in the bar so cannot comment.
A lovely hotel but guys you really need to re think that dinner menu - the dining room was almost empty both nights and i can understand why.

Room Tip: Get a room at the front with either private or shared balcony.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank sparkely

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We visited as part of a two-week Ireland travel (self-guided) tour and would state that the stay on the island was one of the most relaxing two days of our trip. The accommodations were excellent, the pub food was some of the best we had on the entire trip, the staff were helpful and appreciative of visitors, and our local driver "Huey" was phenomenal! He not only knows all the 160 residents by first name, he knows the history of the island, is quite humorous, and gave a great motor tour of the place. Highly recommend this location!

Room Tip: Upper level rooms with harbor view recommended.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dennis M
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Great :-) central location, lovely views from room balcony.
There was a September offer except last weekend of September because of set dancing and music festival, so quite pricy!
Friday night not a wink of sleep, despite beds being very comfy, outside window I could hear someone getting sick, people yelling cars playing loud music all night, I expected to see mayhem next morning but no sign of previous night of excesses, they must have been locals? As cars on island only owned by locals.
We expected Saturday night to be worst but not a sound, once the music in bar stopped.
Staff at hotel pleasant, although confusion over bags and getting rooms initially, there didn't
Seem to be enough staff on arrival to cope with us.

appear enough staff to deal with everyone's arrival.
Library area upstairs lovely views and comfy sofas to relax if weather unkind, we got lovely
weather so saw the sights and staff advised how to get where we wanted to get to safely, ie when tide at lowest.

Food in bar pleasant.

Breakfast nice, again staff friendly and helpful, food nice.
Loads hot water for baths and showers available at all hours, always a big bonus for me.
Bar food pleasant.

Room Tip: We were in 101, lovely balcony with tables and chairs to enjoy view, but we were over bar and at a c...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed in early sept. What a place to relax , have fun, keep the kids away from playstations and shopping. Ha. Staff were extremely nice and couldnt do enough for you, fantastic atmosphere. Food was just heaven, breakfast lunch and dinner,
the only criticism I have is there were no tea or coffee facilities in the room and when I approached the bar area for a cappuccino I was told the machine doesnt get switched on until 11am. Also I think the lift doors could do with a polish inside. But they are only petty things to follow up on.
OVERALL A DELIGHTFUL PLACE WHICH I WOULD RECOMMEND TO EVERYONE I SPEAK TO.

• Stayed September 2013
Cabo Roig
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I visited Inishbofin as part of a group of 12.We booked sea view rooms & were not disappointed!
The rooms were very spacious most with balcony. Staff were extremely friendly & helpful. We had dinner one night in the restaurant & it was very good. It was part of our package which I considered great value. All the wonderful walks & beautiful beaches are very accessible from the hotel. I would return there in the morning!

Room Tip: Definitely opt for sea view if you have a choice. Other rooms are fine too but a lot darker.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank morganjack1
Wicklow
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I visited Inishbofin for the first time ever in June and I have fallen with the place (I came back again July), I stayed at the Inishbofin House Hotel & Marine Spa and was looked after royally. The staff were so friendly and helpful, everyone of them seemed like they were ambassadors for the whole island, I felt like I was a welcome visitor to their home. Nothing was too much trouble for them.

My room, with a large shared terrace, overlooked a stunningly beautiful secluded harbour. The food was terrific and it was a delight to enjoy my breakfast with a wonderful sea view.

This is a gem of a place and I am taking my wife here in a few weeks, Can't wait!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Artlines
Dublin
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Stayed here is early September with my partner for two nights. Sunday- Tuesday and from the minute we stepped on the boat it was like stepping into another world. Having said that I was very glad we both had a sea sickness tablet before stepping on the boat! It was very windy for the duration of our stay so the waves were quite strong so don't forget to bring your sea legs! When you step off the boat you are greeted by the receptionist from the hotel with a courtesy bus which you can choose to bring you to the hotel or just your bags and walk. We chose to walk as the hotel is less than 5 minutes from the pier. Check in was quick and efficient and our room was clean and spacious with breathtaking views of the harbour. Over the three days we ate in both the bar and restaurant- both very good with a great variety and all cooked beautifully. The staff were on hand at all times to ensure you had what you need and were always friendly and chatty. Wifi is not great upstairs in the hotel.Unfortunately the hotel had ran out of maps when we were there but all the walks are very well signposted around the island. Both of us were never very into walking but we both agreed that Inishbofin has definitely changed our opinions on that. The views are stunning and the whole experience is just so peaceful and idyllic. So don't forget your walking gear when you come to the island! In the evening you can sit in the bar of the hotel or go to The Beaches Bar which is right next door to the hotel and had music one of the nights we were there. Our only minor complaint was on the second night of our stay we were woken to a rendition of "I want to take you to the island" outside our window and looked out to see a group who looked like they had a few too many! There is a nightporter on duty but I don't know what happened that night! One of the best parts of the hotel is the upstairs sitting room which is perfect for sitting in, reading a book and taking in the wonderful views. I would highly recommend a stay on Inishbofin and if you are looking for a hotel that has everything you could need than stay here!

Room Tip: Request a room at the front of the hotel with a sea view
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inishbofin
Doonmore Hotel
Renvyle House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Renvyle
Abbeyglen Castle Hotel
Ardagh Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Inishbofin House Hotel & Marine Spa? Share your experiences!