“Amazing Time”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Inishbofin
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing Time”
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Should have written this review ages ago but better late than never I guess. We stayed as a family group in Sept 2012 to celebrate our parents 50th wedding anniversary. (19 of us in total) I can honestly say that we had one of the best weekends ever, Pat and the staff were brilliant, the hotel is spotless and the food is fantastic, we couldn't have wished for better. Pat organised the church blessing, the music for the night, the anniversary dinner, the fantastic cake, the champagne... you name it, he did it. Thank you Pat and all the staff at The Dolphin Hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
ireland
Reviewed 24 May 2013

a group of us stayed here for the inishbofin arts fest, we were worried about adding people and having enough room as it was a busy weekend and we weren't sure who was going to join us but the owner Pat was so obliging about adding beds and fitting us all in. He collected us from the ferry without us even arranging it which was great, the rooms were so big and spacious and warm, which is what you need aft the ferry, full tea/coffee facilities with biscuits-bonus and one downstairs opened onto the front lawn with private bench area-amazing. Due to our socialising antics we slept in for our checkout and the 1pm ferry the next day but Pat simply told us to relax and sleep it out til the next ferry at 5pm and even dropped off our bags at the ferry. Great service in a wonderful setting and a very aesthetic and eco friendly building. we'll be back.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ashy77
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We stayed here for a bird watching weekend.Location is beautiful and hotel is basic but comfortable.I would have wished for a more comfortable and cosy "lounge " for the wet days...maybe with an open fire?The cuisine was very good and staff very friendly.Pat ,our host,was extremely welcoming and Anneka who served us in the restaurant was great.

Room Tip: The rooms on lower ground level have a walkout to the garden where you can sit and admire the scener...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank joan186605
Kerry
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I really wish I wasn’t disappointed by the bar food at The Dolphin, we love Inishbofin and hate to say anything negative about any part of it.
We ate at the bar on a Sunday evening, I ordered the vegi lasagne, my husband ordered the fish & chips. The lasagne arrived a bit deflated looking, I poked through it and realised that it mainly consisted of parsnip! We weren’t sure what veg it was at first but when I asked I was told it was parsnip. Reckon it was an entire parsnip cut into large chunks.
There was a small amount of other veg but I'm not entirely sure what it was, maybe some peppers and onion? The fact that parsnip was used in the lasagne wasn’t really the issue, it was the fact that it seemed to have be used to bulk out the dish avoiding using the more traditional Mediterranean veg used in lasagnes. To be fair I explained to the waitress that I was happy with it & that it didn’t taste good and she offered to get me something else. I played it safe with a toasted sandwich. Unfortunately, that arrive out soaked in salad dressing which the side salad was over drenched in. So disappointing.
However, my husband enjoyed his fish & chips but the whole experience put us off eating there again over the week we spent on the island.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KerryPenguin
Dublin
Reviewed 12 June 2012

My wife and I had short a stay here during spectacular weather in May'12. Our room was huge with large king-size bed, large modern bathroom (with double bath) and a terrace with a sea view. The proprietor collected us from the ferry and delivered our luggage for the return. The food was good and staff friendly. The hotel is a short walk from pristine beaches and hill walks and the small harbour where the ferry arrives and other pubs/restaurants are located, Inisbofin is a compact and beautiful island offering the best of West of Ireland scenery. Our experience of the Delphi Hotel simply enhanced the experience. On departure my wife and agreed we'd plan to return here as soon as possible. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dermot R
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 19 May 2012

We had a wonderful stay on Inishbofin and thoroughly enjoyed The Dolphin. We were met immediatley at the dock by Pat and taken to the hotel where we were given our rooms. The rooms were spacious and the view from the hotel was breathtaking. I would highly recommend a trip to Inishbofin and a stay at The Dolphin. The island is beautiful and you won't find a better host than Pat.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank dannyo62003
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 16 May 2012

We recently attended a wedding on the island and stayed in the dolphin for 2 nights. I have recently been convinced that Irish hospitality was dead and buried untill we arrived here. From the moment we got into Pat's bus on the pier to the moment he dropped us back again this was a fantastically relaxed place to stay. I think some of the other reviewers on here seem to forget that this is an island hotel. I'm glad that this is not Irelands most luxurious hotel, I'm glad that the decor is not up to some peoples standards and I'm glad that Pat's bus has so many miles on it! and you know why.....because nothing else would fit in with the rest of the island. The guineas was fantastic(much better than the bigger hotel) the breakfast was the nicest I have ever tasted with the most amazing produce. Pat where do you buy that black and white pudding? There was a BBQ here the day safter the wedding and again the food was fantastic. I think the chef is the owners sister and it is not hard to see the work that goes into this place but always with a smile on the face. The weather was great and if you could perdict a good week in the summer then this would be the place to go. Can't say enough good about it and hope to return real soon for a longer stay. Keep up the excellent work Pat.

Room Tip: Get one of the 3 downstairs room with your own door out to a private patio
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Tevezr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inishbofin
Doonmore Hotel
Connemara Sands Hotel & Spa
Connemara Sands Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Ballyconneely
Abbeyglen Castle Hotel

Been to The Dolphin Hotel and Restaurant Inishbofin? Share your experiences!