“Lovely hotel - fabulous location - delicious food”
Review of Lough Inagh Lodge

Lough Inagh Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Recess
Halesworth, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel - fabulous location - delicious food”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We stayed at Lough Inagh Lodge on our way between Belfast and Cork. What a lovely, peaceful place. The hotel has the feel of a country house with comfortable sitting rooms, dining room. Our first floor bedroom had a lovely view over the Lough. Service is superb with friendly and helpful staff. A good cellar too.

We intend to return for a longer stay! There's many interesting places to visit locally and very good walking territory.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I needed a tranquil, chill-out break for recuperative reasons as I have a chronic illness, which by-ill-chance is not resultant from wages of sin. Rang on the off-chance and the phone was picked up, without even dialling, by Máire, who said, "Oh, you are very lucky to have rang at this second!" Either, the greatest sales pitch in hotel marketing or it was my lucky day. Yes, it was my lucky day! Cancellation! Karma credits used up! The Gods! Firstly, the location, at Lough Inagh is world equalling as anyone familiar with Connemara knows. We had four brilliant days. The expense? For the location, welcome, friendliness, service, continuous attention, company of other guests and staff, food and accommodation, the cost is correctly pitched. Having stayed 12 months, to the week, at Ballynahinch Castle, across the mountains (cannot say a bad word about them), the food at Lough Inagh, is as good, the rooms with the lake view on a par and service equal. The advantage is it, because of the smaller size, is more relaxed, totally chilling-out and offers more personal service. Basically, modus operandi is that, Máire or Dominic give you the weather forecast (how, is a mystery to me!) and they help plan your day! Fishing (I don't fish) and gillies, from talking to fishermen who return year after year is first class, even if catches, as is the nature of the sport, can vary, but, I gathered is very good. Proximity to the Western Way (or Galway Way) is a big advantage and suggested walks on this trail or the trail around Lough Inagh are to be obeyed, because, the scenery is stunning and you meet nobody!. We declined packed sambos because the breakfasts were too good (McGeoughs butchery of Oughterard contribute! The fresh fruit salad and cream-like natural yoghurt .... Well, just put the two bowls in front of me please!) The dinners are top notch, service attentive without being intrusive and staying with the fish of the day is idiot-me-proof and hides my lazy menu reading and provides a thoroughly satisfying result. I declined dessert (avoided reading it as I am very weak willed!) for fear of ruining the main-course buzz! My wife (present wife) did ask for an off-menu of the previous night's menued pannacotta (some "to-die-for" expression was mumbled - my wife thinks I am hard if hearing!), and it was produced! I slid back up onto my chair. Two very important points of advice, get a room with a lake view and sleep with the curtains open - waking up to sun-rise, that view and the shifting mists on the mountains (real mountains not like our Dublin drumlins!), you think you may have died. Lazy default Dubliner exhibitionists like myself will be used to open curtains, but, not THAT lake and THOSE mountains! If you want a hotel with fine lines, clinical surfaces and everything in it's place this lodge is not for you. If you want to live in a relaxed, chill-out zone this is your nirvana. One downside. Avoid Tomás the barman, because he hides in nooks around the hotel, must have shares in Diageo, greets you with "a pint?", and he procedes to pull the creamiest, coolest pint of Guinness this side of St. James's Gate, a perfect end to a day hill-walking or fishing! P.S on the morning of departure, we successfully booked the same week next year! Dreamland!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Steve2006Dublin
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 17 August 2013

My father and I stayed at the Lough Inagh Lodge on a recent hiking holiday and we both were thoroughly impressed. Terrific food, magnificent setting and very warm service. I will definitely be returning next summer with my wife and baby.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Letchworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Went with two friends for dinner whilst on holiday in Ireland. The setting was lovely and the meal very good but pricy. The bill came to over £270 for the four of us which we thought was a bit steep in the wilds of Ireland. Could not fault the food although we would have preferred a la carte instead of the table d'hote which was the only menu proferred. Not many other diners in the dining room save for a very noisy American family and a friendly chap from Oz. Could be the price put others off and they ate in the bar.

1 Thank Eleanor S
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We stopped off for dinner in the bar and it was really excellent. The wonderfully fresh and flavourful seafood (in our case, mussels and the seafood platter) and the very enjoyable duck made our evening. Hope to come again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank John R
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We stayed as part of a walking holiday. The overall impression was that of staying in a country house, rather than in an hotel. We were greeted by the owner who brought us tea and scones. There was a fair turnover of guests of different nationalities but the owner and her staff all took time to make one welcome. You could have dinner either in the more formal dining room or the bar. The meal was traditional but with a modern, lighter slant and very well presented. Great breakfast choice with plenty of fruit as well as cooked options. A memorable stay.

1 Thank mcaminante
Orange Beach, Alabama
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We did not stay at the lodge. We ate dinner in the dining room after a day of cycling. The food was excellent. My wife had local fresh lobster and I had a local fish. Both entrees were very good as were our appetizers and salads. Mara was most accommodating in the dining room. As the dining room filled up, we moved to the bar for dessert. Thomas, the bartender, was very friendly and gave me some pointers on the various Irish whiskies which he had there at the bar. The bar was very cozy with sporting memorabilia, as the lodge is a fly fisherman destination.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Recess
Ballynahinch Castle Hotel
Delphi Resort
Delphi Resort
#1 of 4 in Leenane
Abbeyglen Castle Hotel

Been to Lough Inagh Lodge? Share your experiences!