“Comfort and Scenery”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Recess
Chesterfield
“Comfort and Scenery”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Beautifully located with views of Lake Inaugh and mountains, Lake Inaugh Lodge welcomes its guests with charm. If weather permits, there are outdoor tables in the front yard. Indoors, two drawing rooms and a bar with TV provide either a quiet spot for reading or conversation or a place to enjoy a drink or snack. The dining room is set up for guests to enjoy dinner and breakfast. Ceilings are high and provide an elegant atmosphere. We ate both dinner and breakfast and found the food delicious and the service friendly. The lodge is located near Kylemore Abbey and also offers bicycles for hire and fishing opportunities. Rooms were both comfortable and charmingly decorated.  WiFi is available throughout the hotel. It worked well in our room, but we saw others in our group who had to be in the lobby for good internet access. The staff were friendly and went out of their way to be accommodating. This is a great spot for relaxation or as a base for exploring the beautiful Connemara Peninsula.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Lough Inagh is an experience not to be missed. The views are stunning, the people are really lovely (Maura and Tom) and the food is spectacular. I am in my 30s and travelled with my husband here for one night and really enjoyed everything from our mountain walk to our pub drink to our delicious dinner to our fireside chats with the other guests. If you are in the area, this place is a must-see.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
California
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I think I have a new favorite place to stay in Ireland. My time at Lough Inagh Lodge was spectacular. Beautiful location, lovely property and a fantastic staff that just couldn't do enough for their guests. Meals were wonderful, the fresh squeezed orange juice at breakfast really made my day. Dinner was also great, definitely some of the best food on my entire trip. My room was very nice. Can't wait to return to this hotel. A great place to stay while you explore the local treasures of Connemara.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Omsibuc
vancouver
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We were put up here as there was a double booking in our original hotel. What a wonderful jewel in all aspects. the room was very large with a gorgeous surround view of the gardens. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The meals were delicious and the service attentive. It was a retreat in the mountains. A warm family run lodge.

Room Tip: There was no pool or fitness centre-I had to put a rating for the review to be accepted.
March, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2013

This is simply the best hotel we have ever stayed in, to stand and admire the building in its setting is like viewing a film set. The room we had (I think it was #1),was perfect in every way, the owner was helpful and knowledgeable about the area and the building, and although we could only get two nights there, we would have had more if planned better. The view over the lough from our room was like a painting, beautiful. Excellent food as well. Initially thought it a bit costly, but soon discovered that it is well worth every penny, and we would love to stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Halesworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We stayed at Lough Inagh Lodge on our way between Belfast and Cork. What a lovely, peaceful place. The hotel has the feel of a country house with comfortable sitting rooms, dining room. Our first floor bedroom had a lovely view over the Lough. Service is superb with friendly and helpful staff. A good cellar too.

We intend to return for a longer stay! There's many interesting places to visit locally and very good walking territory.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I needed a tranquil, chill-out break for recuperative reasons as I have a chronic illness, which by-ill-chance is not resultant from wages of sin. Rang on the off-chance and the phone was picked up, without even dialling, by Máire, who said, "Oh, you are very lucky to have rang at this second!" Either, the greatest sales pitch in hotel marketing or it was my lucky day. Yes, it was my lucky day! Cancellation! Karma credits used up! The Gods! Firstly, the location, at Lough Inagh is world equalling as anyone familiar with Connemara knows. We had four brilliant days. The expense? For the location, welcome, friendliness, service, continuous attention, company of other guests and staff, food and accommodation, the cost is correctly pitched. Having stayed 12 months, to the week, at Ballynahinch Castle, across the mountains (cannot say a bad word about them), the food at Lough Inagh, is as good, the rooms with the lake view on a par and service equal. The advantage is it, because of the smaller size, is more relaxed, totally chilling-out and offers more personal service. Basically, modus operandi is that, Máire or Dominic give you the weather forecast (how, is a mystery to me!) and they help plan your day! Fishing (I don't fish) and gillies, from talking to fishermen who return year after year is first class, even if catches, as is the nature of the sport, can vary, but, I gathered is very good. Proximity to the Western Way (or Galway Way) is a big advantage and suggested walks on this trail or the trail around Lough Inagh are to be obeyed, because, the scenery is stunning and you meet nobody!. We declined packed sambos because the breakfasts were too good (McGeoughs butchery of Oughterard contribute! The fresh fruit salad and cream-like natural yoghurt .... Well, just put the two bowls in front of me please!) The dinners are top notch, service attentive without being intrusive and staying with the fish of the day is idiot-me-proof and hides my lazy menu reading and provides a thoroughly satisfying result. I declined dessert (avoided reading it as I am very weak willed!) for fear of ruining the main-course buzz! My wife (present wife) did ask for an off-menu of the previous night's menued pannacotta (some "to-die-for" expression was mumbled - my wife thinks I am hard if hearing!), and it was produced! I slid back up onto my chair. Two very important points of advice, get a room with a lake view and sleep with the curtains open - waking up to sun-rise, that view and the shifting mists on the mountains (real mountains not like our Dublin drumlins!), you think you may have died. Lazy default Dubliner exhibitionists like myself will be used to open curtains, but, not THAT lake and THOSE mountains! If you want a hotel with fine lines, clinical surfaces and everything in it's place this lodge is not for you. If you want to live in a relaxed, chill-out zone this is your nirvana. One downside. Avoid Tomás the barman, because he hides in nooks around the hotel, must have shares in Diageo, greets you with "a pint?", and he procedes to pull the creamiest, coolest pint of Guinness this side of St. James's Gate, a perfect end to a day hill-walking or fishing! P.S on the morning of departure, we successfully booked the same week next year! Dreamland!

3 Thank Steve2006Dublin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Recess
Ardagh Hotel & Restaurant
Connemara Sands Hotel & Spa
Connemara Sands Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Ballyconneely
Abbeyglen Castle Hotel

Been to Lough Inagh Lodge? Share your experiences!