“Real Irish hospitality!”

Roundstone House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Roundstone
“Real Irish hospitality!”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

It's the staff here that is the makings of round stone House hotel. It's an old style hotel but I found it to be v clean & comfortable. I did think it was a little bit pricey compared to other hotels. The food is fantastic, the Irish breakfast was the best I've had anywhere. Real orange juice! Breakfast cooked to order. Lisa was our waitress for breakfast & she is the nicest friendliest girl you could wish to meet! We stayed in room 16 it was a triple room with sea view. When I booked I requested a sea view & they happily obliged. I would return to this house hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Gabrielle201

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Wicklow, Ireland
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. We had a room with a sea view but it was more like a Bed and Breakfast than a hotel. The room was clean but there were no hangers in the wardrobe and no mirror in the bathroom - my husband had to come into the bedroom to use a mirror for shaving. Any time we went to reception to mention this there was no on there - the bar and restaurant were extremely busy and staff doubled up between reception and these areas. Breakfast was excellent with 'real' tea and great choice. Dinner and bar food were also exceptional. It is a pity they dont show a lttle more attention to residents. I think the weekend we were there was particularly busy but this is not a good enough excuse! I would return to this hotel to eat but not to stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a Sea View but also check if there is a mirror in the bathroom!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ger27
Drogheda, Ireland
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Can't say we enjoyed this hotel at all. It is blessed by being in a most beautiful location and the views from the hotel veranda/bar are lovely. You probably get an equally good view from the rooms at the front but as we travelled with our 13 yr old son we didn't want a room above the bar.

As requested, we got a room at the back which overlooked a nice but small garden. The room itself was clean but basic.The hotel provides a sitting room downstairs which gave us a living area as such but our actual room really was only for sleeping in. The shower was the smallest I've ever seen and the temperature dial was broken.

There was a sour smell consistently through the hotel and we didn't enjoy the food too much but it was edible. We stayed 2 nights and while you order breakfast from a menu, on the first day cereals and juice were left out to help yourself, but this was not the case on the 2nd morning which seemed odd. And as coffee lovers, we would have preferred if we didn't have to wait for our breakfast to be served, before we got a cup of coffee.

We found the staff to be polite but not particularly friendly.

But we were there to see the sights and it served its purpose but realistically it reminded us of an old fashioned B&B in need of a revamp. We were there peak season and the bar seemed to be open till at least 1am, but the welcome book did warn that the front door would be closed at midnight and guests should make arrangements with the hotel if they thought they would be out later than that.

It is probably true to say that the hotel fits in with the general area. Roundstone has very little to offer apart from its stunning setting, and it is really worth seeing. But there is very little in the way of shops or restaurants and this is the only hotel open in the village now.

On the up side, it was cheap!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Belfast Northern Ireland
Reviewed 23 July 2013

This is a great small hotel. I think it's a three star. If it is it's a very good one. We had the room at the top of the hotel with the sea view [room 16] which another reviewer mentioned. I think it's a family room and there were only two of us so we were lucky to get it. Very clean. Bathroom not the biggest in the world but I've been in smaller ones. Perfect for a two/three night stay. Staff very professional. The waitress remembered our breakfast order on our second morning. You have to go to the restaurant if you stay here. We had the a la carte. I saw that somebody else thought it was pricey - I thought it was very reasonable - saying that we had main course and dessert and split a starter - although I suppose if you go for the lot the set menu would be better value. Very nice selection of wines. We had a lovely Pinot Blanc. Again very attentive staff. The main courses in this restaurant are fantastic. Especially the fish courses. Really if you go to Roundstone you should go for a fish main. We had a mussels starter which was more than enough for two. And not one closed mussel. I'm not a golfer however I am told there is a fabulous links course about nine miles away. Clifen is about the same distance for a day trip. Many many shops with lovely lovely things. Bring your credit cards. There is also a vintage store [The Matchmaker] in Roundstone village which is a real treat. Lovely vintage hats. The owners are American and seem to get a lot of the stock from America. There is also a nice jewellery shop [costume] and there are possibly other shops only I didn't get around to seeing them. Very reasonable tariff. We were there during a busy time [recent heatwave] and there was plenty of on street parking. No hesitation in recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for room 16!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2013

lovely hotel.

staff very helpful

wonderful location.

fantastic restaurant.

please god i'll return and stay a bit longer, but we were on a golf trip with a tight schedule, and the staff could not have been more pleasant or helpfull.

great place.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank peter o
Kent England
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in late May. We had a room at the top of the hotel with a beautiful view of the water. The best thing about the hotel though is the food which is very good. We ate here both nights choosing the set menu ( with several choices ) rather than a la carte which is rather pricey. A member of staff gave us a booklet with local walks. Can recommend the Mt Errisbeg and Dog's Bay ones- one is quite a trek but the other is very flat but beautiful scenery. All in all a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Room on top floor has 2 windows with view over the water.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Swords, Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I recently stayed at the Roundstone House hotel for a weekend. What a lovely homely hotel, with such a warm welcome from the owners. We had a lovely room, not very big, but with a sea view and lovely decor, and very comfy beds and pillows. I was actually unwell on the first night and was not able to make it down to breakfast, but Cynthia (who runs the hotel with her husband Diarmuid) very kindly arranged to have breakfast brought up to my room. Later in the day when my parnter was gone working, they checked on me to make sure I was ok and to see if I needed anything. When I later came down during the afternoon, there was a lovely fire in the reception, Diarmuid got me the paper to read and I had a bowl of their lovely soup. Later we had dinner in their restaurant and it was first class. The staff and service were excellent and the food was very good. The ambiance and decor of the restaurant was warm and romantic with lovely pictures and plates on the walls and candles everywhere. Breakfast the next morning was also a treat, looking out to sea in the same dining room. We were served with home made freshly squeezed orange juice, I had delicious scrambled egg and smoked salmon and we had lovely brown bread with their own home made jam and marmalade, which were oustanding. Every little thing in this hotel is excellent, even down to the porcelain designer mugs in the bedroom if you want a cup of tea or coffee. I would highly recommend this hotel for a weekend away, and apart from the excellence of the hotel and staff, there are wonderful walks in the area, with directions from the very door of the hotel. Hope to go back again soon!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roundstone
Connemara Sands Hotel & Spa
Renvyle House Hotel
Renvyle House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Renvyle
Clifden Station House

Been to Roundstone House Hotel? Share your experiences!