“Much improved”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kinvara
A Hillside In Wales
“Much improved”
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I swore I would never stay here again after a dreadful experience a few years ago but it has changed hands so I tried it again.

It was very clean, all the staff I dealt with were very pleasant and helpful and the breakfast was good with a lovely gentleman serving every day I was there, he could not have been more helpful.

The room I had was in need of some work and the bath remains the very shallow type that it is impossible to relax in but elsewhere it was obvious that work has been done to bring the hotel back to the standard it offered when it first opened.

The hotel itself is in a great location, Kinvara is a lovely little village within easy reach of the attractions of South Co. Galway, Galway city itself and North Co. Clare with The Burren just a few miles away.

If you are there on a Friday morning the Farmers' Market is worth a visit with home baking and many cheeses, all the makings of a great picnic.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the car park are quieter, the front rooms are very close to a road that is quite b...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Martin K, General Manager at Merriman Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Dear Groeslongirl,

I would like to say a big thank you for giving the Merriman Hotel a second chance and for your warm comment on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to hear that everything changed in our hotel was up to your standards, we here try our best to make our guests feel warm and welcomed. Thank you also for taking your time to write this comment we appreciate every comments received by our guests.

We hope to welcome you again in the near future!

Martin K.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Czech first
London
Reviewed 23 April 2013

we stayed here on ealry March to partiicpate in the Kinvara Rock and Road half marathon and to have a kllarge family gathering as we have links with the area. We were the very first guests to srrive on the day the hotel reopened after a refurb.

We cannot compliment the hotel enough. it was wonderful. we receiveed a really warm welcome, we had 9 in our party in all and all enjoyed it thoroughly. The management and staff were wonderful the foood was really excellent and we had arranged a 50-person buffet for the ecxtended family to spend some time together late on the Saturday afternoon.

we enjoyed drinks and superb bar food in the refurbed bar on a couple of nights and had a thoroughly great time. The bedrooms have nnot yet been refurbished but were n more than adequate. we were offered a very fair price for the weekend, all included, sio it was very good value on a very busy weekend.

its warm, friendly, well run with great ataff. i cant recommend it enough.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Martin K, General Manager at Merriman Hotel, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
Dear CharlesKickham,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here with us at the Merriman Hotel. I am thrilled to hear that you found your stay to be so comfortable.
It was our pleasure to look after your family and friends after the hotel has been refurbished the staff were eager to get back to work and to look after their customers.

Many thanks again for the lovely comment and we will look forward welcoming you back to the Merriman Hotel in the near future.

Oxford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2013

they were very flexible with the food we asked!
The food was servered with many different sides, without any extra charger.$
The waiter was very helpful and offered a great service!

I would recommend this pub to anyone visiting the area!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Anthony J,

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your visit to The Merriman Hotel, I'm glad to know that you have found our service and food good.
We appreciate every comment on Tripadvisor as guests can share their experience with others.

We look forward welcoming you back to our Hotel.

Olney, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2013

My parents, and I decided to try the Merriman Hotel in Kinvara for Sunday lunch last weekend. We were aware that the hotel had been taken over approximately 6 weeks ago, and were keen to check it out. We knew that we had missed the Carvery, and that there would be a pub food menu still on offer. Personally, I don't ever expect great things from a 'Pub Food' menu. So my expectations were not particularly high. The minute that we walked through the door, we all nodded our approval and admired the new decor. Fresh and modern, yet homely and welcoming at the same time. We were greeted immediately. The staff were warm, courteous and professional. We were shown the menu, and talked through the special boards. The roast of the day was Strip Loin of Beef (and a reasonably priced 11.95 Euro, or was it 10.95 I can't quite remember which, but very reasonable nevertheless!) Two of us ordered the Vegetable Soup, which was fresh, though a little too sweet tasting for my pallet, but my father enjoyed it. Out came the main course, which was two of the roast specials, and a sirloin steak. The three dishes were really beautifully presented, and you do not usually associate these dishes, as being presented in a lovely way, they usually are what they are! But not at the Merriman! Both dishes, came with perfectly cooked vegetables and plenty of them. The Strip Loin of Beef was wonderfully tender and very generous piece of meat. The steak was likewise, just cooked perfectly (medium) as I had requested. All three of us were thoroughly delighted with our main courses. They were washed down with some very fine tasting Cabernet Sauvignon, again reasonable priced. When we had finished, we wondered into the restaurant, to see if we could also sneak a peek at the restaurant menu, as we were so very impressed with the bar food. We were greeted with another friendly member of staff, who gave us a copy of the menu, from the previous evening to take away with us. It looked a great selection of dishes from the restaurant menu too, so I cannot wait to return to try this also. And will soon be posting a review for that! It is worth noting that the bar was buzzing with a great atmosphere, and there was a good age mix of people. With many young families in also. We will definitely bring our brood along next time we're around!!!! Get down to the new and very much improved Merriman Hotel, you are in for a real treat!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank thegreedygannet
Dear Guest,

May I say that your review is very important to the hotel and to our staff here at the Merriman for that I would like to thank you for giving such a detailed comment.
We here try our best to make our guests feel welcome and important to us.
I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed the food and service and that you would return for another visit.

Thank you again and we would be happy to see you and your family back to The Merriman Hotel.

Reviewed 24 March 2013

Went for lunch on Sunday afternoon. From the minute we walked in we were greeted by freindly and well presented staff. The food was excellent and well presented.

Decor and design top notch while warm and cosy.

Will be back again when next over from UK.

• Stayed March 2013
Martin K, General Manager at Merriman Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Dear Socarates,

Thank you for your recent comment on Tripadvisor, I am delighted that you have liked our refurbished Hotel and the decor. We have tried our best in making the cosy feeling for all of our guests/customers.
We would be delighted to welcome you to our hotel again.

Merano, Italy
Reviewed 6 March 2013

Maybe my best stay in Ireland! Again stayed there with a large group of tourists and all went very well, all were very pleased. The hotel itself is just very very nice and very very cozy. It also has a large and warm bar. Service was excellent. It even sports an original thatched roof. Just a few minutes walking and you reach the main square, its pubs and the harbour. A few more minutes and you get to the castle.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Dear Lolicon,

I would like to thank you for such a warm and a pleasant comment about our hotel.
All of our staff members do their best for customers to enjoy their stay/visit, we would be delighted to welcome you again to our Hotel.

Ballinrobe, Ireland
Reviewed 4 March 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for the 10km/half marathon event on 2nd March 2013. We were delighted that we were able to check in early so that we could come back and shower after the race. The room was spacious, the bathroom was a good size too with a bath/shower. Slight complaint was the floor was VERY cold on bare feet ! The shower was very powerful - the temperature varied a bit though. It was supposed to be a romantic stay and it was spoiled a little by the fact that the double bed my boyfriend specified was actually two single beds pushed together - they weren't even the same height. We were awoken in the middle of the night by people talking outside the bedroom door too and the curtain didn't fit the window properly. Very disappointing. Kinvara is a lovely place and I recommend the Pier Head for dinner very highly.

Room Tip: Make sure the bed is what you asked for before you sleep in it.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Liz P
Dear Liz P,

Thank you for taking the time to comment our hotel on Tripadvisor we value every comment we receive.
I would like to take the time to apologies for the discomfort you have had while your stay with us.
After I have rechecked with the reservations what has happened was a bit of mix up with the rooms as most of the customers have requested double rooms for that weekend that has left us short of double room, the mix up should have not accrued and for that I sincerely apologize.

We would be delighted if you would come back to us and we can rectify all the discomfort caused during your last stay.
Again please accept my apologies and if you mention Tripadvisor when booking next time we will 100% look after you.

Martin K.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinvara
Hylands Burren Hotel
#3 of 5 in Oranmore
Kinvara Guesthouse
Kinvara Guesthouse
#2 of 13 in Kinvara

Been to Merriman Hotel? Share your experiences!