“Pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Celbridge
London
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

We had stayed here before in it's previous incarnation as the Setanta and weren't impressed. However the location is very handy for visiting family so we were very happy to hear it had reopened. It is much nicer than it was. The building is better cared for and it has a much more welcoming atmosphere. I guess the staff and the management attitude are to thank for that.

I cannot give it 5 stars because it wasn't perfect but it was amazing value for money. I am going to list the pros and cons and hope it will be accepted as constructive criticism. I think the most important thing is I would definitely stay here again.

Good Points

Very clean, much cleaner than very expensive 5 star hotels I have used.

The staff are all very friendly. They may not be technically perfect but their sincere charm smooths over many issues.

We had breakfast, snacks and one dinner. All seemed to be freshly cooked.

The breakfast buffet choice was excellent considering the relatively small clientele.

On most mornings fresh decaf coffee and fat free milk were available, something lacking in many 5 star hotels. This was inconsistent and seemed to depend on the waitress on duty,

Wi-fi in rooms was as speedy as in public areas, a very rare treat.

The wine available by the glass in the bar was excellent with lots of choice.

AREAS TO IMPROVE ON

The central heating in the rooms seems to be geared to business travellers. We were on a holiday and so were unhappy to be woken up at 6.00am because the radiators were red hot. Then they were freezing at 8.30 am when we wanted to get up.

The bah towels were too small. I am 60 cm tall and weigh about 9 stone and the towel just about met around my middle. If I am staying somewhere so gorgeous the experience would be better matched by more generous towels.

The bar staff are amazing. Friendly, knowledgable and efficient. On the downside some of the male staff need to improve their personal freshness. It became a running joke in our group that we could smell them approaching even when we couldn't see them. This was so out of synch with their professional attitude I wonder if the problem is they don't get enough uniform shirts to wash them daily?

I was in a room with two beds. Neither of us found the beds comfortable. This could be personal taste.

We got a lot of disturbing noise from adjoining rooms.

The telly was small for the size of the room.

The communal rooms are beautiful but would have been improved by open fires. Some nights we walked into Celbridge to enjoy sitting by a blazing turf fire.

I will return and hope it will be even nicer next time.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
262AnthonyK, Director of Sales at Celbridge Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
We are delighted that you had such a pleasant stay with us here at the Manor and we look forward to welcoming you back again. Thank you also for your very constructive feedback and let me assure you we have taken your points on board and we will address each one of them.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I didn't stay Al this hotel, I visited for lunch.
I'll start with the positives. The two waitresses working in the bar were lovely. Really friendly and attentive.
The second positive, there were LOADS of seats. Plenty of place to sit, however, this may be down to the disgusting food served.
I ordered a BLT WITH CHICKEN. This was to come with chips. I was so impressed when my food arrived, it was a highly stacked sandwich in a bun, the style of one off those gormet burger type places. It looked great, but very impractical, sloppy and crumbley. On closer inspection, the chicken was grey!!!! It was a full chicken breast, cold, and no only was it grey, it wasn't the texture that chicken should be. I was worried I'd become sick if I ate it, so I pushed it to one side. The red onions were cooked, but very clearly off. The bacon was like no food I've ever eaten or tasted before. That is not a positive comment. Having taken the bacon off, I stuck the chips between the buns with the lettuce and tomato. That tasted ok. I had tea with this. All together, it came to about €12.75.
This food was not fresh or cooked correctly. I had high hopes for this hotel and I really wanted to see it succeed, but it's food standard is just too poor.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank annIe-Lou-c
Hi there. We are very disappointed to hear about your meal here at the Manor. We pride ourselves in the quality of our food and have had such positive feedback regarding our food since we opened. We are sorry that your experience was not as positive. Perhaps you could contact the general manager directly on 01 6013700 as we would like to resolve this matter.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Just out after a Sunday lunch! First visit to the re-opened hotel. Not impressed. Three soups ordered - each of the three soups were slopped over the edges of the bowls. Waiting staff were not enthusiastic or well organised. Main courses were just okay, except for the two curry dishes which were definitely burnt. Won't be rushing back!

Stayed January 2014
Hi there. Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that you did not have such a good experience. We are newly opened since December and we are still finding out the best ways to serve our customers. Since you visited in January, we have changed our Sunday lunch provision. We now have two offerings: a Table d'Hote menu served in our Garden Room and for those who want a more casual, more relaxed meal we have a new, more efficient menu operating in our Schoolhouse Bar. So please reconsider not rushing back to us! Please also introduce yourself to the manager on duty on your next visit.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

I was booked into this hotel by my company. I though they had made a mistake! A 300 hundred year old, completely restored Manor House, at the end of an elegant driveway. Set in its own well tended grounds.

Great care has been taken in the restoration of this beautiful building. The staff are very friendly, and genuinely willing to tend to your every need.

The room I was allocated is huge, very tastefully furnished, warm, and has one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. The breakfast has a wide and varied choice, anything from French and Danish pastries, to a full traditional Irish. The lunch and dinner menu's are also extensive, at a modest price.

I will be sorry when I have to leave.

I would describe the hotel as boutique without pretensions, and probably the best value for money hotels I have ever visited.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
We are delighted that you had such a pleasant stay with us! The hotel itself is steeped in history and a lot of our corporate guests are pleasantly surprised when they arrive to stay with us as they are used to staying in a typical branded corporate hotel. We do look forward to welcoming you back again and we were as much sorry to see you leave as you were sorry leaving yourself! Do spread the good word!
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I stayed overnight in the hotel,This hotel has been newly refurnished It was extremely cosy and warm , the decor in the bedrooms was excellent. I ate in the hotel and the food was superb. The staff both in the bar and at reception were a credit to the management of the hotel.. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel, I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Hi there. We are thrilled that you had such a great overall experience at the hotel and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us at a future date! Please spread the good word!
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Had the most delicious meal on Celbridge Manor Hotel - it was one of the best steaks I have ever eaten - absolutely superb The hotel itself is lovely and even though the weather was cold the hotel was warm and cosy and the atmosphere relaxing. Service was very good. Staff were pleasant and the food was served promptly.
We called in for a meal, not an overnight stay so I cannot comment on the rooms etc. However I can say that the public areas were lovely. Outside the gardens were very pretty and there was also plenty of free parking. Would highly recommend

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback. We are delighted that you enjoyed our food so much. We really have had such excellent feedback on our food since we opened! On your next visit you will have to stay over and get the full Manor experience!
Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Went for an overnight stay with dinner, food was ok but felt extremely uncomfortable as manager and staff stared at us whole time, felt as if we wernt the type of people who he wanted in the hotel as he didnt look at anyone else this way. We went just for dinner stephens day with our 3 children and my sister, her partner and my niece. Got an even colder reception, sat out on the couches with the kids and had 2 drinks, we all felt uncomfortable and got up and left, maybe you need to have loads of money to be respected in the place. As a paying customer Im digusted I gave them our money to be treated like that. Also left my Mam waiting on food an hour and 10mins.. 3 other groups left waiting walked out in that time. If I could give it 0 stars I would. Disgraceful service.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank fionanreg
Hi there. We are very confused by your review and it is not something we can agree with. Our staff do not stare at customers and we welcome all members of the public who wishes to give us their custom and try to provide the best service we can. We are sorry if you felt unwelcome in any way and assure you this was not our intention. We hope to welcome you back again at a future date.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Celbridge
The K Club
Barberstown Castle
Barberstown Castle
#2 of 2 in Straffan
Osprey Hotel & Spa

Been to Celbridge Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!