“Delicious food”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
woodbridge
“Delicious food”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

On a recent trip to Ireland we had dinner at the Trocodero Restaurant in Dublin. It is a well known destination for tourists and has photo's of famous people around all the walls. The place was lively even for an early sitting. The food is traditional, we had the Chateaubriand between 3 of us which was lovely. Interestingly my daughter asked for a Peach Iced Tea and was presented with a pot of hot breakfast tea with a glass of ice cubes.
A couple of days later we were taken by the family to the Brown Bear in Naas, for Sunday lunch. This is a modern style gastro pub, quite big, with a separate bar. The menu is nice and simple, two courses for Euro 22 or three courses for 28. I had scallops with beans and mint to start which was superb, followed by lamb with some sort of lentil type beans with a sweet jus. Side dishes of new potatos and cauliflower cheese. My daughters has Chicken wings to start with crispy fried haddock, chips and pea puree. They loved it. So did I. In fact all of us (party of seven) thought it was outstanding. It was by far the best food I have eaten in Ireland and fantastically good value. The service was friendly and efficient. We were given an extra dish of zuccini because the chef made too much. Really cant think of anything negative to say about it. Culinary highlight of our trip to Ireland.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank SimonWoodbridge

County Kildare, Ireland
“Very good restaurant”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Lovely restaurant. Nice ambience. Food and service excellent. Beautiful assorted artisan bread basket! Great for special occasions. Good value.

• Visited June 2014
Dublin, Ireland
“A hidden gem”
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

I was never so glad to have taken a wrong turn in my life! Happened upon this place a couple of months ago and only got to sample it's delicious delights tonite. Amazing - probably if not the best, definitely in the top 2 of the nicest places to eat in Naas Co Kildare - I ordered the Caesar salad to start, I went safe and it was delicious, so appealing to the eye and a very generous portion. My husband nibbled mine and was very impressed. Main my husband had the duck, pink and with a plum and roast parsnip, I opted for fish n chips, lightly battered, so fresh and light in the skin, lovely fresh chips, peas, homemade horseradish. To finish we went with the recommendation of the peaches dessert, light and sweet, perfect. 3 glasses of wine and 2 beer came to 95, tip included. I will definitely be taking the wrong road again!

• Visited July 2014
4 Thank Valhalla7273
Kwazulu Natal, South Africa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Elegant, creative, tasteful, affordable. A family favourite for all occasions.”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The Brown Bear never ceases to impress us with their fantastic cuisine and impeccable service. It's always a pleasure to have a family gathering there. The food taste and presentation are beautiful and can definitely compete with Michelin starred restaurants. We're very lucky to have them on our doorstep. I can't wait for the next family birthday to be celebrated there!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Gwen_Leost
Leverett, Massachusetts
“Excellent in every way - strongly recommended!”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Desperate for something OTHER than pub food after 2+ weeks in Ireland, we happened onto the Brown Bear in the (Naas) village of Two Mile House. We started with a summer salad of peaches, jamon Iberico, radish and elderflower over mixed young greens and asparagus with poached egg and watercress - splendid. Then we had the Lamb Ravioli with sundried tomato, courgette and goat cheese, and the Pork Belly, beetroot, cauliflower and black pudding (the best I've had outside of Spain) - [ I have to admit here that it was hard to pass up the starter of scallops with broad bean gazpacho and purple potato and the duck breast, smoked parsnip and plum main... ] but we did go the additional mile and have a side of courgettes and basil aioli that was just perfect!

And then, if that wasn't enough, we got the macaroons (toffee, oh my!), an Irish coffee and cappuccino for dessert... The location was lovely, the ambiance just right, and the service was kind and attentive... The menu was very reasonably priced, in fact... and funny, even the bread basket was exceptional (mini baguettes, tomato bread, a pesto bread, a simple but delicious rye). Honestly, it was one the best meals we had in Ireland. What a hidden gem!

• Visited July 2014