“Excellent”

Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Recently visited the establishment and was enjoyed by myself and a circle of friends over Christmas.

The food was very enjoyable and presented well. Personally I would recommend anyone to try the steak medium done. The selection of wine was enjoyed and stocks the beers and whiskeys you would expect at a restaurant.

The staff were excellent, polite and accommodating as we arrived a little behind schedule.

I have recommended the venue to friends and intend to return in the new year.

1  Thank CORaven
There are newer reviews for The Red Door Bistro at Kavanagh's Pub

Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

Had a beautiful meal in the Red Door Bistro with a large group of work colleagues in Mid December. Despite our late arrival the food was great, atmosphere super and excellent service. Would definately recommend ! Pub downstairs also had a great atmosphere!

1  Thank Sam15415
Reviewed 20 December 2013

When the voucher appeared on pigsback for The Red Door, I purchased it straight away. I have not been to the restaurant before and I am from Naas so what had I got to lose. Myself and a friend arrived at The Red Door on Tuesday 24th of September only for it to be close... We went into Kavanagh's pub which is underneath The Red Door to be told it does not open Monday or Tuesday. I believe this should have been clearly stated on the voucher, which is was not.
The voucher was only valid till Monday the 30th of September so this was a huge inconvenience.
The next day which suited us both was Friday the 27th September. I rang to book a table just to make sure as I know is it quite a small place.I was informed that the restaurant was fully booked all weekend?! Surely there was some availability for the whole weekend for just two people. While explaining to the girl on the phone about the vouchers, she (which I can only described as roared) to another staff member "Use that wine and follow her..!". I was completely taken back by this as I was explaining the situation and she did not even care to stop me for a second. I find this completely rude and unprofessional. While I continued to explain the story, again she shouted to another staff member. This time she said "Sorry we are really busy, there is a wedding reception here." I was made feel like a huge inconvenience to this girl.
I can completely understand being busy but at least have enough staff that can answer the phone without shouting at the staff.
After the phone call, I contacted pigsback and was refunded for my voucher. I was glad I was not going for dinner. If the phone service is that shocking, God knows what the service is like when you are dining there. We both will not be trying The Red Door due to this.

1  Thank NaasGal
Manager-RedDoor, Owner at The Red Door Bistro at Kavanagh's Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear NaasGal,

Thank you for your review .

The voucher went on sale on the 12th to the 16th of August so you purchased it during this time.
Leaving it until the last week to try and get into the restaurant when you had the voucher for over a month was taking a risk because as you said yourself we are only a small restaurant.

We had clearly stated "Call 045 897070 in advance to book your table, quote your name & Voucher redemption code" in order for diners to avoid problems when booking like yours.

I will agree with you we should have put on the voucher the opening times but if there were any difficulties our number and website address were also stated on the voucher.

Apologies for the way you felt treated when calling the restaurant.

I'm happy to hear Pigsback refunded your voucher.

If you would like to contact me directly please do-ger@kavanaghsnaas.ie

Reviewed 17 December 2013

This was my second visit, service was poor enough the first time but thought maybe we just were unlucky. I arrived Saturday night with 2 friends, we were due to be a party of 4 but 1 could not make it. When we advised of this it was suggested they may give us another table. The one they offered was at best for 2 people, which we declined, but felt a lite put out they would had suggested it. The food was lovely even if we were given the wrong steaks, me the medium when it should have been well done and my friend got mine! After the meal while having coffee was where it really started to go wrong. We did observe whom we assume could have been a manager leave for the evening and behind the bar came a very loud, rude and customer indifferent man. There was a large Xmas party up the back who were having cocktails. He put ice in a tea towel and stood on it to crush the ice, spoke rudely about the customers and said "sure just put that in they won't notice the difference"...actually he did not speak he shouted. He had no consideration for any customers ...eventually we had to go up to ask for a bill as it appeared all service was now focused on the large party at the back. The lady who brought it over admitted that the other party had taken over...with which I responded we noticed. She made no effort to engage in conversation and was quite rude also. It's a shame the service lets it down as the food was good and the kitchen staff deserve a much better front of house. I won't be back nor will any of my 2 friends. Serious increase in customer service and hygiene required... I mean please standing on ice in a tea towel to crush it.........?

1  Thank Evelyn P
Manager-RedDoor, Owner at The Red Door Bistro at Kavanagh's Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Dear Evelyn.

Thank you for your review.

I was the lady who initially dealt with your table.The only reason I offered the smaller table was because the group had gone down to three but I had no issue in you taking the four people table I just simply offered the other one.

I did leave the restaurant to run The Kavern downstairs once I felt everything was under control but clearly this was not the case.

Under no circumstances should a customer be in behind the bar,behaving boisterously and interfering with other customers.I was unaware of this matter and deeply apologize as it is not on whatsoever and have spoken to all staff involved.I was shocked to hear about the crushing of the ice in the tea towel.Hygiene and Service is of upmost important to us and we adhere to strict regulations and guidelines and this matter has been dealt with accordingly.

This past weekend is one of the busiest ones of the year with Christmas parties but service should still be equal to all customers who dine with us and I'm sorry your night was disrupted.

If you would like to contact me privately please feel free to do so on ger@kavanaghsnaas.ie.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

I was there on saturday night with a crowd and I ordered the venison, and I was really looking forward to it but was I so disappointed there was no flavours nothing to it, I would have been better staying at home and cooking my own beef stew,it was so bland it was unreal and I would eat a lot of game so don't think I will be going back any time soon

1  Thank GemmaKildare

Dear Gemma,

Thank you for your review.

We contacted our Supplier Wild Irish Game and out of the 70kg they delivered across the country they had no complaints from any other business owner.All customer feedback is very important to us so in this case we have taken the decision to take it off the menu this week coming.

Apologies you were so unhappy with your meal but I really think it shouldn't deter you from coming back.When the table of ten was checked on we were informed everything was good.If the problem had been highlighted at the this time we could have dealt with the issue straightaway.
I was the one was looking after your table and was assured that everything was as should be.

When the bill was being paid then only was the problem mentioned.

If you want to contact me directly please feel free to do so.