Osprey Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
The K Club(Straffan)
  • Breakfast included
1,239 results
All reviewsmash restaurantstand alone bathfree standing bathspa areathe penthousethermal suiteexecutive roomlarge balconylovely hotelwalk in showerbar foodrain showerleisure facilitiesspa treatmentsnext morninglovely bathroomrelaxation room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 April 2014

My sister had her wedding reception in this lovely hotel. Stayed for 2 nights. Food was great, staff extremely helpful and friendly. We also had treatments in the Spa which were lovely and used the pool. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I want to like this hotel, really I do. The staff are welcoming, friendly and kind. Food in the bar is reasonable although the menu is pretty straighforward, standard stuff.....I guess that's what most people want.

Unfortunately there are a number of instances where the hotel would benefit from some real attention to detail to make the whole experience far better; most of these seem to be maintenance and housekeeping issues....badly worn, and dirty paintwork in many areas, worn varnish on doors where they have been pushed open with feet, the facade of the hotel needs painting and refreshing, the shower head in my room (119) needs descaling, the saucer in the tea and coffee making kit was dirty from previous use, the inside of the kettle also needs descaling and cleaning (every guest should feel like they're the first to use it)....Oh, and absolutely dreadful cheap instant coffee...I don't mind instant coffee, just provide some quality brands. Although it appears that my room had been recently painted it was also clear that the electrical switches and socketr had not been removed during the process, just painted round, this leaves a 'cheap' looking finish.

These issues may make me seem 'picky' but they all shout loudly that here we see a hotel that is focusing strongly on costs, corners are being cut in the day-to-day care and maintenance and these fast become noticable to guests resulting in a lack of satisfaction.

Investment is badly needed in these areas as once the focus is gone then the standards drop quickly. Attend to these and you'll have a really, really good hotel.

By the way.....breakfast is very poor, tinned fruit should be replaced with fresh and the hot buffet was anything but. I have always believed that a hotel is judged by the quality of its breakfast and its bath towels....and they're too small too.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
JCaffreyRM, General Manager at Osprey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear ormerodr,

Thank you for your review and your kind words about our staff, it's always nice to get such positive feedback and we appreciate that you really want to like the hotel. I'm happy to inform you that the hotel is currently in the midst of a major refurbishment program that includes the re-decoration of all bedrooms. The first tranche were completed last December with the second to begin in May. I'm sorry you felt your room was in a poor state of repair, we do strive to keep all our rooms to a four star standard but I will certainly share your comments with our maintenance and housekeeping teams. I'm also sorry you did not enjoy the coffee in your room, we provide Bewley's as a standard and it is the number one coffee in Ireland, however we are always happy to deliver a freshly prepared cup of ground coffee from the bar for anyone who does not like what is provided in their room. Thank you again for your comments and I hope to see you in the future when you can be assured of a freshly decorated bedroom.

John Caffrey
Complex Manager

Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

On Friday April 4th I arrived at your hotel with my Boyfriend for a 2 night stay. When we arrived we were greeted by a friendly receptionist and we were happy with the room. We decided to have dinner in the Mash Restaurant that night. When we got to the restaurant we were advised there would be a 15 min wait which we did not mind as we had not made a reservation. 15 mins later we came back to the restaurant and were brought to out table. When seated I felt the chair bolt and then realised that it was broken. The legs had come loose from under the chair. I was extremely embarrassed but when I told the waiter he changed it for my promptly.

On the Saturday Morning when I woke up I decided to have a bath. When I went in to the bathroom to have a bath I realised there was no stopped in the bath. I rang down to reception to ask for one. It was one hour later before somebody came up to the room with a stopper. On Sunday I again decided to have a bath but the stopper must have been removed by housekeeping on Saturday as it was gone again. Very frustrating.

On Sunday morning when we went or breakfast we were seated at a table at the back of the dinning hall. We had finished our breakfast and we were still waiting on tea/ coffee and toast. There was a gentleman setting the table next to us. When I approached him to ask if we could get tea/ coffee I was told “To wait until somebody came to our table” Which I felt was extremely rude and would not of approached customer is I was not waiting so long and my breakfast was not finished.

The Blind in the room also did not close properly which was extremely annoying as there was constantly light in the room. I have taken pictures of the curtains and the bath plug as I feel this was a big let down.

We were in room 206 and I found it extremely noisy when I rang reception on the Saturday night I was advised that they “Do not supply earplugs”.

The hotel is a lovely hotel and I had stayed there two years ago for a wedding and had a brilliant time but I was really disappointed on this stay and was not even asked on checkout if I had enjoyed myself. All in all the food and most of the staff were very accommodating and the hotel has great facilities I just feel very let down from my stay and do not feel the hotel met its 4* standard. On Saturday night in the restaurant I was also advised that there were no wine coolers left. As this is such a large hotel I feel that they should be better prepared for their guests. It’s a nice hotel but I feel we could have been treated a little better and the rooms could be more up to standard.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ashling2511

Dear Ashling2511,

Thank you for your feedback and my apologies for the problems you encountered during your stay, particularly in the restaurant where the service and standards you have every right to expect were lacking, I can assure you that I will follow this up personally. The bath stopper in our bathrooms is actually fitted into the bath itself, a feature that prevents it from dangling from the taps, this can sometimes be missed by our guests but an hour long delay to get back to you is not acceptable, I agree. I have brought your point about the curtains to the attention of our maintenance manager and this has now been rectified, thank you for letting us know. I am sorry about the lack of wine coolers but unfortunately we are inundated by requests from guest for these to be delivered to their rooms and on this occasion we ran out, I can assure you this is not a common occurrence. I do hope you will return to the hotel when I can assure you of an experience more in keeping with your first visit and invite you to contact me directly should you plan to come back.

Regards,

John Caffrey
Complex Manager

Reviewed 6 April 2014

I attended my friends hen party here and from the moment we arrived we were welcomed and treated with such professionalism and friendliness, from the reception staff to the bar staff, Damien conducting the "cocktail" class was attentive and entertaining, we were taken care of with seating arrangements etc! Dinner and breakfast was top quality. Special word for the young bar lady "Laura" that took care of us - she was excellent, she could not do enough for us and if you run an employee of the month award she should certainly be considered for it! Thanks and I will be back!

Room Tip: all of the rooms are spectacular and all different! Bathroom is huge!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank annieoakley38
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Suite was perfect - we have a toddler so the extra room was excellent and also when she was asleep in the other room you could talk and watch tv in comfort
Lovely pool with small pool for kids
Food was excellent , excellent service
lovely wine list - no request was too much

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family