“Thoroughly enjoyable stay”
Review of Clomantagh Castle

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Freshford
Clomantagh Castle
dublin
“Thoroughly enjoyable stay”
Reviewed 12 July 2011

this is a great venue for getting together with friends. it was my second stay in ten years and i would recommend it. I spend a lot of my time in hotels and accommodation and this is definitely a gem. We ate three meals in the house for 10 with the range and a BBQ as back up. The only gripe i have is the shower as it took forever to get to a heat that was not scolding or freezing.....but thats just me and showers :)

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dolores_C

Solo
Business
Ardee, Ireland
Reviewed 2 March 2011

Clomantagh Castle took me by surprise,I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was. The bedrooms are all large and comfortable. The new range kept us warm as did the open fire in the sittingroom. The situation is nice too, well in off the road with horses in the field and church nearby. Nice area for walks too. It is also within easy reach of tourist centres such as Kilkenny City, Dunmore Caves, etc. I would say that it is perhaps a little expensive but having said that the upkeep of such a property must be costly. Overall a great time was had in a great property.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank kevsterino
Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed 4 January 2011

I stayed in Clonmantagh castle during the summer of 2010. It is a charming old country house with pine floors and old fashioned furniture. However, I was not satisfied with my stay there. There were a number of things which I, and other guests, were dissatisfied with. First, it was not very clean. The kitchen especially had to be cleaned when we arrived. There was mould in the fridge and a coffee maker was caked with stale coffee. The lack of cleanliness was also apparent in other parts of the house eg unclean windows. Also, some of the furniture was shabby and uncomfortable.

Second, while there were a lot of bedrooms (enough to sleep ten people), the facilities were not adequate to cater for a large group. For example, there was only one shower and it was located at quite a distance from the bedrooms. (There were bathrooms, but they were not fitted with showers). Also, the cooking and dining facilities were not adequate for a large group of people. The Stanley cooker was difficult to regulate which meant that it was difficult to cook in the oven. There was no dining room and the table in the kitchen was not big enough for a large group. There were also inadequate facilities for children. For example, there was no television or dvd player and there were some things which were very off-putting for children, such as mice running around in the attic and a rodent repeller in one of the rooms.

Given that the house is located in the country, it would have been nice to have had facilities outside. There was a garden right beside the house but, unfortunately, it had not been reclaimed in the restoration of the property. As well as being unavailable for use, this area was unsightly.

Finally, I was dissatisfied with the person who was dealing with the house. We had difficulty contacting her when we needed to. She gave us contradictory information which meant that we ended up packing our things very quickly and leaving in a hurry. And I felt that she was rude to me personally when I tried to engage her help to retrieve an item which I had left behind.

There were some positive things about the accommodation. For example, there was plenty of hot water, the heating system was very good and the bedrooms were big. I think the house has great potential. However, I would have preferred a better standard of cleanliness, more adequate facilities and a more available and helpful person to deal with.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank Sheila186616
Cairns QLD Australia
Reviewed 17 April 2008

I went to Clomantagh with family. We had the most fantastic time, it was a beautiful place to stay, close to all amenities and very comfortable. I came a long way to have such a good time; from Australia and as we don't have too many old historical buildings here, I was in awe! And the Shiela-na-gig - took us ages to find! Another anomaly, in the cemetry arouond the old church, there is a grave and the date of death is noted as the 30th of February which I thought highly amusing. Talk about getting in the last word! If I came back I would definitely stay there again if I was able.

• Liked — It's age and condition - nostagia
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2005, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dublin
Reviewed 3 January 2008

A group of us stayed here for New Years Eve and it was my best New Years yet. It comfortably sleeps ten but could easily fit more. The castle itself is fabulous, really well restored and so cosy. The stove in the kitchen keeps the place very toasty as does the central heating. The place was never cold. The housekeeper Christine is fantastic, so helpful but leaves you to your own devices after welcoming you.
No sign of a ghost at all. Loved every minute of my stay here and actually felt a nice vibe while being there.
It's close enough to the village of Urlingford and Freshford so food shopping etc is not a chore and there is also a garage nearby where you can stock up on logs for the fire.
Would highly recommend this to anyone wishing to head away with friends for a couple of days. Loved it!

• Liked — The size and the cosiness
  • Disliked — Bigger living room would be perfection
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank hon79
Dublin
Reviewed 20 May 2007

I booked this for a surprise party for a friend of mine. It is ideal for a group. There is five bedrooms, three bathrooms, a huge kitchen with a stanley range cooker, a large sitting room and a snug complete with little wood burning stove.
Never been anywhere like it. The castle is amazing and there is lovely walks all around.
An ideal place for many hours of conversation in front of a roaring fire!

• Liked — It's a castle.
  • Disliked — The ghosts.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank Ireland_Eyes
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 17 February 2004

I was taken here as a surprise for my birthday weekend, so this report will be slightly biased as it was also Valenties weekend. The tower is c. 15th century, with a victorian era farmhouse stuck on. The first thing is its surprisingly warm, there is electricity throughout, the place is very tastefuly furnished with victorian era furniture, but they made an exception to the 21st century with a dishwasher, clothes washer and electric shower. There were 4 couples (one double bedroom was unused) . The best bedroom is possibly the one in the castle itself (four poster bed, big room, cool old furniture..) but it is above the kitchen, so not ideal if you want to sleep in and there are young kids in the group ... take a walk across the valley to the other castle (explore - there are connecting roads). Bring some fuel for the fire (ask for brick-ettes in most petrol stations or theres a shop on the road to Freshford, nearest off-licence (liquor store) is in Urlingford). It was a great place, full of history, a real castle but without too many draughts.. or ghosts that I noticed anyway .....

4 Thank tuttlinghorn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freshford
Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa
Castleview Bed & Breakfast
Castleview Bed & Breakfast
#1 of 4 in Freshford
Cradog Farmhouse Bed & Breakfast

Been to Clomantagh Castle? Share your experiences!