“Old fashioned Irish hospitality”
Review of Roundwood House

Roundwood House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mountrath
Reviewed 27 April 2011

OK, this country house was built in 1730 so don't expect anything too glamorous. The hospitality and warm reception by the two hosts Hannah and Paddy more than make up for any shortcomings in the decor. The food was fabulous and it's lovely to relax in the drawing room in front of the real turf fire. I'm looking forward to my next visit already.

• Stayed: April 2011

Reviewed 18 April 2011

Assuming that you have seen all the hot spots in Ireland and you want an experience off the beaten track which is very special and different. Expect to pay less than a five star hotel, but have an experience vastly better than such a hotel. Perhaps we were lucky, as there were only ourselves and two more guests to share the exquisite evening meal at the communal dining table. Also sharing the after dinner chat in the lounge in front of a log and turf fire, while enjoying a second bottle of Merlot.
It reminded me of visiting my aunts house in west cork when I was young, although on a much grander scale. We felt like one of the family only after three days.
Do not miss the walking in the Sliabh Bloom mountains, and visit the sculpture park in the Booragh Bog.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2011

My new wife and I chose to host our very large (in my opinion) destination wedding at Roundwood House fairly early on in our engagement. As our engagement progressed, what initially started as a smaller affair ended with Patty & Hannah accommodating about 60 of our American friends and family as well as a substantial amount of my Irish relatives. Throughout the process, Patty & Hannah were so gracious and flexible.

I'm not a foodie by any means, however I can appreciate a chef's attention to flavors and complexity having been spoiled by all the culinary talent in Philadelphia. I have to say that the meals we ate at Roundwood House were the absolute, hands-down best meals I have eaten in the many times I've been to Ireland. Their beef bourguignon is the best I've ever had. They, in a natural and unforced manner, incorporated sustainable and organic food sources in every meal. They offered these cheeses from a local farmer that, frankly, were wonderful. Also, they offer these homemade chutneys that really added to the experience.

The food was just one small aspect of the overall experience; I highly recommend Roundwood House and I truly look forward to returning just as soon as is possible. My review is biased but a diverse group of travelers (many of whom were traveling to Ireland for the first time and this includes children) found comfort in sitting by a warm and inviting turf fire in the Drawing Room after a long flight. We drank, ate well, and laughed late into the night - every night!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank mdeangelo
Reviewed 14 March 2011

If you really want to experience Ireland, its people, the culture and the true beauty of the Irish countryside, look no further. Hannah & Paddy hosted our very large party for 7 days/6 nights. There was awesome breakfast to order every morning, delicious prepared group meals, and nonstop entertainment. Most impressive though, was the wedding reception they were able to pull off. Hosted in the gorgeous, rustic Long Room, these two and their amazing staff easily kept stomachs full and wine flowing for a wedding party of 60+.

By the end of the trip, we weren’t just saying goodbye to the country, but to a few new additions to our extended family. And Paddy plays a mean REM cover.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 28 February 2011

We had so much fun!!

We organised a re-union of friends (6 adults, three kids) in Roundwood House. It turned out to be the perfect choice. Paddy and Hannah are great hosts; very relaxed, attentive and fantastic cooks!

The house is beautiful and the rooms are large with really comfortable beds. The grounds are spacious with great walks on the doorstep.

But the best thing about Roundwood House for us, was the way our hosts made sure we had a great time. We were served dinner in a separate dining room - which was really intimate. Our five course meal was top drawer - as good as any of Ireland's best. There's a great choice of wine etc. Paddy and Hannah are really switched on to what you want - it's like you're at their party - and they want you to have the best time possible! There is none of the stuffy formality that sometimes goes with this type of property.

Breakfast is perfect and you can move at your own pace. There is no rush in Roundwood, with a choice of rooms for relaxing in, and then there's outside!

BTW - with the Motorway, we were back to the M50 in Dublin in one hour after leaving.

Thanks Hannah, Paddy (and Amelie)!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank 5IrishandalongVolvo
Reviewed 6 December 2010

My mother and I stayed at Roundwood House in June for three nights and absolutely loved our stay. While planning our trip to Ireland, we wanted to find the most charming, cozy, and historic house that we could find- a place that would really give us the flavor of the Irish countryside. Roundwood House was beyond our expectations! A short drive from Dublin, with easy access to great tourist spots like Glendalough and Kilkenny- Roundwood House is in a perfect central location. Located at the end of a long, meandering driveway through the woods- this house is the epitome of charm. There is a beautiful sitting room filled with books with a sitting area right in front of the fireplace. The grounds are historic and beautiful, you could spend a lot of time just wandering around! Our room was very comfortable, the breakfast was wonderful (be sure to have the homemade yogurt), and Hannah and Paddy were superb hosts. There is also a 'resident' peacock at Roundwood who sat outside the window one morning, looking in as we ate breakfast! If you are looking for a lovely, charming location with lots of character- look no further than Roundwood House.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 November 2010

It's all about Paddy and Hanna. From the moment Paddy emailed me to say there was a peacock, geese a dog and a cat my 3.5 year old daughter could say hi to when she came - I knew this country house was different in a very good way. As it happened, we opted for a break for the two of us - but so nice to know that our daughter was very welcome. Paddy Flynn is Canadian and I kind of wish I could say he's first generation Irish.... When it comes to effortless charm, grace, humour and making you feel welcome - this guy could open a school and teach the nation how it's done! We met some amazing characters (fellow guests) at dinner and had the best craic ever - talked and laughed for hours. Hanna and Paddy also do all the cooking - we couldn't wait for dinner next evening to see what scrumptious delights were in store after our first gastronomic feast. The food is five star, the welcome and service is the same. It's a relaxed, homley place with their two stunning little girls as cute as fairies. Keep up the good work - we will be back. Aileen

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mountrath
The Heritage Killenard
#3 of 4 in Portlaoise
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Abbeyleix

Been to Roundwood House? Share your experiences!