“Memorable”

and 1 more site!
Roundwood House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mountrath
Reviewed 4 January 2012

I almost don't want to review or rate Roundwood House as I want to keep it all to myself but that's just selfish when it's a business. Paddy and Hannah do everything in their power to make you feel welcome. Myself and a group of friends stayed around New Year for our own celebration and from the moment we arrived they made us feel at home. The food was gorgeous, the breakfast amazing and our party was memorable! See you next year.
Eileen and friends!

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank EileenPrend

Reviewed 27 November 2011

Happened on Roundwood when we were suddenly unable to find a place to stay on our way towards Dublin. Not knowing a bit about it, we requested "no dinner" and expected to find something suitable in the area.

When we arrived, we found the house, grounds and owners to be absolutely lovely. After some discussion about possible places to eat in the area, the owner offered to change his plans and make a meal for us if it suited us. We wholeheartedly agreed with this plan, and had an absolutely fantastic meal in the drawing room.

The rest of our stay was equally magical, highlighted by visiting all of the ducks, geese and the new pig the next morning. I cannot recommend highly enough. These people are doing great work and gave us a truly memorable experience.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 October 2011

My husband and I spent one night - B&B and dinner - in Roundwood House to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Roundwood House is a great antidote to impersonal sprawling hotels and more like visiting friends in old worldly elegant surroundings. Antiques and curiosities are everywhere but the house is not slick or highly polished, rather it has a charming lived-in feel. This is evident in the array of animals outside the house! I had been worried the house might be cold but it was toasty warm all the time.

Be prepared to eat with and get to know other guests, and your lovely hosts - it's all part of the experience. The food is high quality. Relaxing by the fire with a glass of port was a great finish to the evening.

I would have liked to have stayed longer and enjoy a rambling walk in the area. For visitors to Ireland, this is a really unique way of seeing a side of Irish life and at a great price too.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cailin75
Reviewed 25 September 2011

As we drove up, we were greeted by ducks and geese patrolling the property, very quaint. The house itself is incredible, the rooms are huge and accommodating, the food was exceptional, and the service was well above anything else. The hotel and rooms are very rustic, if you need to see freshly painted walls and new laminate flooring to be happy, don't stay here. The original plank flooring is incredible to look at just from the sheer size of the lumber. The condition of the hotel gives you the feeling of what it might have actually been like to stay there in the day... Tea was served in the study, and dinner in the dining room, both accompanied by huge fireplaces. The smell of the peat burning only takes you back to the day again. The food was exceptional, well prepared and thought out, and yes delicious. The owners and their children were an absolute pleasure to meet. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Randman59
Reviewed 1 September 2011

I held my 40th birthday in Round wood House in August. it was a wonderful and unique place to hold a party with my closest family and friends. Hannah and Paddy were wonderful hosts providing great food at dinner. All our needs were met in a discrete manner such that it felt like home. To quote my brother in law on leaving "I don't think I will ever stay in such a unique place again"

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2011

My husband, parents, and I stayed at Roundwood on the last night of our 10-day journey through Ireland, on our way back to Dublin. It is a beautiful historic country house, a Hidden Ireland property, and one of our favorite stays of our trip.

We were greeted at the door by Les who is the chef and who was also serving as host while the owners were away for a wedding.

We were treated to some delicious afternoon snacks of griddle scones and flapjacks, enjoyed with drinks near a fire in the sitting room. After that we wandered along some trails throughout the property.

Dinner at Roundwood was one of the best meals of our trip. Roundwood was actually recognized as one of the top 50 restaurants in the world in 2002 which is very cool seeing that only houseguests dine there. Les made a delicious meal of wiener schnitzel - some of the best I've ever tasted. For dessert we enjoyed homemade ice cream - I believe it had brandy and meringue but what I do know for sure is that it was delicious. Our server was a polite, friendly young man who provided outstanding service and conversation.

Breakfast was good and our morning host was so thoughtful to pack up some leftover homemade snacks for us to take on the road.

We stayed in the blue room which is lovely. There is no shower, just a bathtub. It was very enjoyable to stay in such a historic place and the perfect way to end such a fantastic journey. I would highly recommend a stay at Roundwood. Thanks to Les and staff for making our visit so memorable!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank roadwarriorz
Reviewed 21 August 2011

We stayed at Roundwood on our honeymoon trip to Ireland and it was one of our highlights that we will remember forever. The house is off the beaten track in natural woodland surroundings and the ambiance comes alive at dinner time where you experience both Hannah's delightful cooking and the couple's extraordinary hosting abilities. Dining with the other guests was a unique joy. The tariff is a genuine bargain so it was a pleasure to pay over the asking price at the end of our stay. Loved it.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mountrath
Kinnitty Castle Hotel
Maldron Hotel Portlaoise
Maldron Hotel Portlaoise
#3 of 4 in Portlaoise
Bridge House Hotel, Spa and Leisure Club

Been to Roundwood House? Share your experiences!