“Brilliant Hospitality and Charming Accomodations” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Roundwood House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mountrath
Hobe Sound, Florida
“Brilliant Hospitality and Charming Accomodations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

Paddy and Hannah are wonderful hosts. Made us feel like we were the only thing on their minds!
We had corresponded for about a year and finally in late July got to stay at Roundwood House. I found Roundwood House via family history research. It turns out my mother’s 7th Great Grandfather built the house. Hannah was wonderful sending me the history she had conducted. When we finally got there it was just as we had expected. They gave us free reign to explore and were very helpful in pointing out interesting things to do in the area.
Hannah made many phone calls on my behalf to assist in one day trip I wanted to do. Paddy and the two girls were wonderful too. Paddy was an amazing cook with a terrificly wicked sense of humor! Their two girls were as sweet as could be and made the house seem so alive!
The only teeny tiny drawback was that they had an important visitor that took up a great deal of time on the one evening we had planned to have a fireside chat. But no worries, they invited me to join them in the kitchen and share a glass of wine! I would have loved to spend more time with Hannah and Paddy and learn more about Roundwood House and Anthony and Isaac Sharp. It is a wonderful house amazing food and they bent over backwards to make us comfortable and assist us in getting the most out of our two night visit. A great retreat for leisurely walks in the country and day trips around the Midlands. I would come back over and over again! Truly a great stay in "real Ireland".

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Bray, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

We arrived at Roundwood House with our twin grand-daughters (just 2) and were greeted by Paddy, who said that his 2 daughters (5 and 3) would be delighted to meet our two little ones. And so it happened. As well as the coincidence of the four names, the four little girls hit it off big-time, they loaned us their toys, let our two play in their play room etc., and generally made our stay feel like a home-from-home (without the prep and washing-up, of course!).
Apart from all that, we really enjoyed the stay, gorgeous ambiance, delicious food, spacious family room, lovely grounds and interesting company at the dinner table...what more could you ask for on a pre-Christmas relaxing trip. Thanks to all the Flynns.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Meath
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

Having cut a raving review of this house from the Irish Times many years ago, I was determined to visit Roundwood some day. We had a family retirement and I suggested we have a gathering at this House in August. It was a wonderful, special and relaxing stay. I love the house; it's full of history, interesting things, wonderful grounds and yet not stuffy and fussy, very laid back and welcoming environment which suits me. I look forward to visiting without my three children so I can attack the bookshelves! The food was fantastic which made the weekend really, I am still thinking about the cake they made for my mother on her special weekend. I enjoyed talking to the other guests and hearing their stories. The owners are lovely warm people. My boys loved playing with the two little ladies. I look forward to going back. As Roisin Ingle wrote in another great review in the Irish papers this weekend, this isn't a hotel, it's a 'hometel'...which is a good word to describe Roundwood.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

We have been to an amazing wedding last summer.

It seemed like if we were travelling back to the past, in the roaring 1920s, in a beautiful house lost into nature. We could hear the music by Django Reinhardt and Sidney Bechet as well as Irish folk. and see people dancing on their notes. We could watch old movies, and drink good wine as well as gourmet vegetarian food. The lights were on, and the show was very entertaining. We think nothing of this it would have been possible without our Roundwood friends. That's why we are deeply grateful to Paddy and Hannah.

Oh, and I forgot to say, that wedding was ours. And we are proud to say, it really was amazing.
Thank you.

Fabio & Erika Rosati

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank eFFeRRe1989
North Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed with our 2 yr old and 3 month old twins. Hannah and Paddy were really welcoming and I had no worries about leaving the children in our room while we had the most wonderful dinners. Thank you!

• Stayed October 2013
Waterford, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

I stayed in Round Wood House last week with work coleagues. Paddy and Hannah the owners were very friendly and welcoming. The open fire in the sitting room was just fantastic. At the end of a long day standing at the ploughing championships it was great to relax by the fire. A large trunk of turf and fire wood was available to keep the fire topped up.
The food was excellent and it was no problem to them to prepare gluten free for me. The breakfast at 6 am was a great start to the day.Tables were laid with real china cups and plates.
The rooms were big and comfortable with shutters on the windows. The only little gripe I had was that the hair dryer flex is too short as the socket is far away from the mirror. This problem is common to many hotels in Ireland.
As I was not paying the bill I cannot comment on the value
It was my second time to stay at Round Wood House and I will be back again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Cavan, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

A week in roundwood cottage
It was deep within the woods
Where only the cows were lowing
No tv or other fancy goods

The cottage was welcome and warming
With little room to swing a cat
The peace & solitude overcame you
Better than any city flat.

A week of utter seclusion tucked deep within the wood
My heart and soul replenished
Thanks to the cottage at Roundwood.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Tony O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mountrath
Ballyfin Demesne
#2 of 4 in Portlaoise
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Abbeyleix

Been to Roundwood House? Share your experiences!