“Never judge a book by the cover”
Review of The Old Bank House Restaurant - CLOSED

The Old Bank House Restaurant
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: It is a tea rooms , restauranrt and tapas bar.
Dublin, Ireland
“Never judge a book by the cover”
Reviewed 26 March 2013

From the outside this place looks really classy & high end - a very attractive building with good signage. But unfortunately it does not live up to the image. It's so poorly run & dirty that whoever owns/manages should be ashamed of themselves.
We wandered in on Sunday afternoon while passing through the town.
No proper greeting when we entered - "Just sit wherever you want!!!" - there are two "dining rooms", both with doors slightly ajar so we had to peer around the corner to see if there was a free table in either. We took a table in the second room & were struck by the amazing decor & beautiful room with a pleasant view of the garden through double doors. However, there was no atmosphere despite the number of occupied tables & music blaring from inappropriately located speakers. The carpet is too pale for a dining area & was utterly filthy & stained. There was also dirt, sweet wrappers, etc on the floor behind the drapes.
The waiting staff were very shoddy also. Impersonal, cold & curt. Rough & ready you could say. And they wandered aimlessly from room to room. Why not allocate one of them to each room???!!! Infuriated me having to wait for them to return, then try to get their attention when we were ready to order.
I was half way through my meal when I discovered some plastic film in it. I waited 10 minutes before a waiter was in the room. When I brought it to his attention, there was no immediate apology or attempt to offer an alternative. Nothing. He was only a young chap but he did not send the manager or the chef to the table. Disaster.
When I asked for the bill, he returned & muttered an apology & said he wouldn't charge for one of the meals. The language he used really got up my nose. It seemed like I should have been grateful for this gesture!!! Put quite simply, if he hadn't taken it off the bill, I would have refused to pay anyhow.
My companion went to use the toilets as she had & long drive ahead of her & unsurprisingly they too were not up to scratch.
To the owner/manager - you might think you are running a great show but the reality is that from start to finish we had a terrible experience. You need to get The Brennans or someone to show you how it should be done. You have a fantastic venue/location but you are ruining it yourselves.

3 Thank Ger M

Ireland
“Poor wine list & service a let down”
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Have visited this local restaurant on numerous occasions & in spite of a few previous issues, all to do with the service, have continued to go here to support local business & also because the food on the tapas menu is very tasty (cant comment on the a la carte as haven't ever ordered from it... a testament to the yummy tapas). During a recent visit we were disappointed to see that the wine list had changed....leaving just a few options....and with no wine names we were left to pick from generic descriptions, e.g. French Merlot. Wine was opened out of sight of the table so once it came to the table it was opened which made it difficult to refuse if you didn't like the look of it....(Which we didn't as we recognised the "merlot" as a very cheap bottle that none of us would ever choose)......we found this really off putting & it kinda ruined the rest of the meal for us. Also the waitress serving came across as quite abrupt & disinterested, which added to our dissatisfaction. One final issue is the unitemised bill...at this stage the receipt should state exactly what items you are paying for! Overall a disappointing visit & it will take a while before we are ready to give it another chance. Would strongly urge management to review the very poor wine list ASAP as it really takes away from the food & the lovely setting of this restaurant.

Stradbally, Ireland
“confirmation day ruined, saved by local chip shop”
Reviewed 10 March 2013

i just want to stick my tuppence in...............when you save to pay for a special meal, for over 400 euro for 30 people plus children, , you do NOT expect to get 2 trays of sandwhiches, a bowl of cocktail sausage and a bowl of gougons !!!!!
also you should be equipt with sufficient chairs for all attending !! not difficult in a restaurant !! also and i feel the most important in any place that serves food......CLEAN PLATES to eat off. not the excuse that the dish washing lady was off, hello your a fully booked restaurant, with supposed high standards, sort it dont just serve up dirty plates.
for such a high standard that the bank wishes to portray, it is falling way short. at the most health and safety should check it out, and the sunday world should also take a look, before they ruin some other little girls special day, THE BANK in my opinion is a DISGRACE, i for one will not use it and i definately NOT RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE

Portlaoise, Ireland
“wonderful yet again”
Reviewed 14 February 2013

i am a regular customer and i think the food and service cant be matched in portlaoise , try the tapas its something special .

• Visited February 2013
ireland
“Disappointing food and disappointing service”
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Three of us had a meal here Saturday night 09.02.13. It was the first time any of us had tried this place and I would advise that people spend their hard earned money on a nice dinner elsewhere! While the room looked pretty enough it was freezing even with the pitiful fire going and I kept my coat on for well into our mains. Our starters were ok but nothing to rave about. The problem came with our main courses. My husband ordered fahitas which came as just one pre-made fahita!!! Have never seen this before. I ordered the enchiladas which was just one enchilada also and was very soggy. Our friend ordered the chicken fillet with mashed potaotes and veg and ate very little as his potatoes were cold. Now to admit after our dinner was served the waitress did come over and ask if everything was ok, but we were literally only on our second mouthful so we said everything was fine. And while I wasn't impressed with the portion of the fahita or enchilada they were not expensive so decided to leave saying anything. However my friend's chicken dish was 18e and serving lukewarm/cold potaotes is just not good enough. When the waitress collected our dishes she commented on the amount of food left over, we are wimps and hate confrontation so said nothing, she pushed it again about the chicken so my friend eventually admitted that it has been cold. What shocked me here was that she never even apologised for this just said "oh............long pause..........can I get you anything else". We said no and could we just get the bill. While I went out to pay the manager came over to my friend and asked about the chicken, he repeated mortified that it has been a bit cold, she just said sorry about that and left. As I was paying I plucked up the courage to comment on the fact that while the manager had come over neither of them had been apologetic or offered to give anything off the bill........especially as we would never had said anything in the first place....only for them pushing the issue. The waitress informed me as she put my bill through for the full amount that if we had told her the minute we got our food she might have done something about it but it was too late now and infact she had checked the temperature of the potatoes in the kitchen and that they were perfectly hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So that told us!!! Like I said it's disappointing spending that much money and not having an enjoyable dining experience.

• Visited February 2013