“Not a nice place to eat”
Review of Rafters Cafe

Rafters Cafe
Ranked #19 of 55 Restaurants in Portlaoise
Price range: US$6 - US$14
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: 124 seater day time restaurant, with outdoor seating and scenic view. Rafters has a modern, chic, and cosmopolitan feel to it and serves everything from Breakfast, sandiches, panini's, wraps, ciabatta's, wide selection of carvery items, kids menu, coffee's, tea's, lattee's etc...
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This place had the potential to be nice but I've never had a nice experience there. The chicken wrap from the menu didn't taste freshly prepared possibly because of the way it was reheated. The ordering process is confusingly laid out and the person taking coffee orders was also taking payment so there was a wait despite what seemed like enough staff.

The furniture and atmosphere are another problem as the chairs are really uncomfortable. They remind me of old school canteen chairs and some are even rickety. The place in general feels grubby especially with the use of laminated table numbers.

Wish there was decent place to eat in what is a very busy shopping centre.

1  Thank Mark G
trish c, Owner at Rafters Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Mark G,

Thank you for your recent review on Rafters. I was very dissappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your experience with us.

Before I continue I must clear up an inaccuracy in your review. You purchased a chicken wrap on the day of your visit, which for some reason- you did not enjoy. You state it was possibly because of the way it was reheated and that it did not taste freshly prepared. We do not reheat wraps, panini's etc.. they are all prepared fresh to order so Im at a complete loss to explain how it didnt taste freshly prepared when it most certainly was. Its a pity you didnt ask for a manager on the day you were here and we could have sorted this for you.

You comment on our Bentwood Chairs, im sorry you find them uncomfortable. We do have some soft seating in the cafe also which is extremely comfortable. I have been running and fitting out restaurants for over 20 years and have always used Bentwood chairs, like a lot of establishments do, without any problems.

Lastly I do take on board your comment in relation to our table numbers. Yes, we do use laminated table numbers( nearly every day time restaurant with high volume would use these). However you commented that they dont give the right impression and dont fit in with the overall look of the premises- you do have a point there, and thank you for pointing that out. We will look and see what other options there are for these. So thank you for that. I do hope you would visit again, please feel free to ask for me, or email me directly(info@rafterscafe.ie) at any stage, I would be only too happy to talk to you.

Regards
Trish C

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Right beside Tesco and within walking distance of Portlaoise Town Centre. Ample free parking in the shopping centre car park. Staff have always been very friendly, polite and helpful any time we've been in. Coffee is delicious and served with a little malted biscuit which is a lovely extra. We had the all day breakfast on our last visit. I wanted mash instead of chips - no problem at all. Yes we'll be back.

trish c, Owner at Rafters Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Happyholidays,

I hope you don't mind me using your trip advisor name. Thank you so much for your recent review- it means a lot to us. Thank you for your comments regarding our staff and indeed your lovely comments regarding your visit.

We do endeavour to provide a high quality of food and service. Please feel free at any stage to ask for me, if I can be of assistance, and we look forward to looking after you again in Rafters.
Kind Regards
Trish C.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Not a bad spot for a quick meal. Thee seemed to be lots of staff around but service was very slow and the place looked grubby. The food was okay but nothing to write home about...

Reviewed 22 April 2014

I've had some lovely meals here and some not so lovely ones, there's a bit of variation in the quality. The service while never rude can be a bit oblivious, I've seen a couple of customers on different occasions struggle with buggy,tray and young child and the staff stood around chatting and not offering help as they would in other places. I've been there once myself with a baby, a lot of bags, struggling with the tray and had the same experience. Not a problem I've had anywhere else.

Price wise it's quite cheap and when the food is at it's best, good value for money.

trish c, Owner at Rafters Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Dear Evie,

I have already replied by email to you directly concerning your experience, and again I thank you very much for taking the time to write the review. We are very cafeful with whom we reply to on trip advisor, as I am concerned with the amount of incorrect information that is being sent in to this site recently. I do hope you will call again as I stated and please feel free to either ask for me or give us your comments on our Comment Cards that we use in store, - as these are what we use to get genuine feedback from our customers. I really do hope to see you again.
Regards
Trish

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Great location, great menu, great food, nice staff
.... good value too... We had a little hold up waiting on cutlery but it was very busy so maybe just stock up on a few spares but other than that it was all enjoyable