“Second review and it's still ahead of the rest”
Review of Rafters Cafe

Rafters Cafe
Ranked #17 of 55 Restaurants in Portlaoise
Price range: US$6 - US$14
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: 124 seater day time restaurant, with outdoor seating and scenic view. Rafters has a modern, chic, and cosmopolitan feel to it and serves everything from Breakfast, sandiches, panini's, wraps, ciabatta's, wide selection of carvery items, kids menu, coffee's, tea's, lattee's etc...
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

My second time here and it's still ahead if the rest, I tried something from the wok station this time and the stir fry was really good, I didn't have dessert this time but as before it looked so well and plenty to choose from, keep up the good work Rafters

There are newer reviews for Rafters Cafe

Reviewed 16 July 2014

There is most certainly nicer places to eat in Portlaoise.
The food pretty average but is way overpriced

1  Thank Amy E
Trish C, Owner at Rafters Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Hi Amy
thanks for your recent review. I am surprised that you found our restaurant expensive and only average, I would love to hear more about your visit as, mistakes unfortunately, do happen and perhaps you were overcharged. Again, I would love to know what you had as perhaps there is something on our menu that is only average, if this is the case we will certainly change it.
I really hope that you do reply
regards
Trish

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Firstly the girls working there are soo nice seem fairly under staffed. The food was lovely. But the place needs a clean, the walls are dirty beside the soft chairs. The coffee is definitely the worst I have ever tasted.
I really not so keen on the interior decor, it's not very inviting. It's a shame because it has so much going for it.
I wouldn't be rushing back :-(

Reviewed 7 June 2014

This place had the potential to be nice but I've never had a nice experience there. The chicken wrap from the menu didn't taste freshly prepared possibly because of the way it was reheated. The ordering process is confusingly laid out and the person taking coffee orders was also taking payment so there was a wait despite what seemed like enough staff.

The furniture and atmosphere are another problem as the chairs are really uncomfortable. They remind me of old school canteen chairs and some are even rickety. The place in general feels grubby especially with the use of laminated table numbers.

Wish there was decent place to eat in what is a very busy shopping centre.

1  Thank Mark G
trish c, Owner at Rafters Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Mark G,

Thank you for your recent review on Rafters. I was very dissappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your experience with us.

Before I continue I must clear up an inaccuracy in your review. You purchased a chicken wrap on the day of your visit, which for some reason- you did not enjoy. You state it was possibly because of the way it was reheated and that it did not taste freshly prepared. We do not reheat wraps, panini's etc.. they are all prepared fresh to order so Im at a complete loss to explain how it didnt taste freshly prepared when it most certainly was. Its a pity you didnt ask for a manager on the day you were here and we could have sorted this for you.

You comment on our Bentwood Chairs, im sorry you find them uncomfortable. We do have some soft seating in the cafe also which is extremely comfortable. I have been running and fitting out restaurants for over 20 years and have always used Bentwood chairs, like a lot of establishments do, without any problems.

Lastly I do take on board your comment in relation to our table numbers. Yes, we do use laminated table numbers( nearly every day time restaurant with high volume would use these). However you commented that they dont give the right impression and dont fit in with the overall look of the premises- you do have a point there, and thank you for pointing that out. We will look and see what other options there are for these. So thank you for that. I do hope you would visit again, please feel free to ask for me, or email me directly(info@rafterscafe.ie) at any stage, I would be only too happy to talk to you.

Regards
Trish C

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Right beside Tesco and within walking distance of Portlaoise Town Centre. Ample free parking in the shopping centre car park. Staff have always been very friendly, polite and helpful any time we've been in. Coffee is delicious and served with a little malted biscuit which is a lovely extra. We had the all day breakfast on our last visit. I wanted mash instead of chips - no problem at all. Yes we'll be back.

trish c, Owner at Rafters Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Happyholidays,

I hope you don't mind me using your trip advisor name. Thank you so much for your recent review- it means a lot to us. Thank you for your comments regarding our staff and indeed your lovely comments regarding your visit.

We do endeavour to provide a high quality of food and service. Please feel free at any stage to ask for me, if I can be of assistance, and we look forward to looking after you again in Rafters.
Kind Regards