Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Reviewed 18 June 2011

Myself and my mum stayed here for 1 night B&B and were so sorry that we did. As other posters have said the foyer is lovely but that's were it ends! The corridors are dated, chips out of Walls, worn furnishing and generally in a major facelift. I don't know when this hotel was awarded four stars but it is more of a 1 or 2 star. Rooms were also very dated, marks on the Walls and even cob webs! Ordered room service - breakfast for 7am-7.30, and at 8am - still waiting I called reception to ask where it was, the receptionist said that the chef just arrived at 6.50, em hello breakfast is served from 7am????? I would not recommend this hotel or stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2011
JerryRussell, General Manager at Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2011

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on trip advisor. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay or get the chance to use our extensive facilities. I am very concerned on the issues you brought up over your bedroom. If you could please contact me on 057 8671900 I would be delighted to talk to you.
Jerry Russell

Write a ReviewReviews (1,210)

Reviewed 16 June 2011

My Daughter and I stayed here in January 2011 when we attended a show in the nearby Art centre. That night was one of the coldest of the year and the street was thick with snow outside. The room was freezing at 10 p.m., so much so that I rang reception and they turned on the heating for about an hour. When the heating went off again we were forced to go to bed. I awoke at about 6a.m. to find my young daughter(aged 7) shivering in her bed. When I investigated further I found that one of the windows had a broken latch and couldn't be closed. I immediately rang reception and was told that the heating was done in zones and that our zone was off. Again they turned it on for an hour.

The room was pre-paid on my husbands credit card and I hadn't got it with me. To make matters worse(if they needed to be made any worse) breakfast was awful, cold and with mushrooms swiming around the plate on water.

The next evening my husband phoned the manager and was told that instead on a refund they would give us a voucher for a free night, which we received by post the next day. We still haven't used it and here's hoping that they have gotten the finger out and improved the whole service substantially, as it's a great building with massive potential. Fingers crossed but I wouldn't spend my hard earned cash on it if I were you.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank foreveryoung94
JerryRussell, General Manager at Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2011

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel on Trip Advisor. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay and that the bedroom was too cold for you and that your breakfast was not satisfactory . You say that we have dealt with your concerns already and have invited you back. If you have any worries about staying in our Hotel on your next visit please contact me directly and I will address them for you.
General Manager.

Reviewed 14 June 2011

Lovely hotel in a great location. Could not have asked for better. Everything from the staff to the cleanliness of the rooms was excellent. Staff handled everthing with a nice friendly smile and were always helpful. Will go there again

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank 2red

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff attentive and friendly.
Thank you for your comments we do appreciate them and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Jerry Russell.

Reviewed 12 June 2011

it has been couple of months since i emailed them and i have heard noting back ,,a member of staff i found to be quite ingorant, to me, i was at my cousins wedding, and did not like to complain on the day,i orderd something and it was not brought to me a member of staff shook their head as if to say your not getting it and walked away, it has been four months, although i did not complian on the day, i did write to the mangment of the hotel to bring it to their attention, unfortunaly i have heard noting back.also as we were attending a wedding the i would have thought parking would have been free.

• Stayed: December 2010

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel on Trip Advisor I am so sorry that no one has replied to your email. Could you possibly forward your original email to me at jerryrussell@theheritagehotel.com and I will respond straight away.

Reviewed 8 June 2011

myself my husband and 2 kids stayed here for a long weekend in may for my birthday, once we walked in the lobby was lovely could not fault it, the greeting was friendly and quick, we couldnt wait to see the bedrooms as the front of hotel and lobby was so grand, the bedroom was a huge disapointment!
i did not complain as although the bedroom were outdated and looked to be more like a 2/3 star hotel the rooms were clean. There was holes in the carpet, the walls had dirty marks.
on the plus side the swimming pool was brilliant , the kids loved it! very clean..
breakfast was brilliant loads of choice, again staff were very friendly ..
food in the grillhouse was again brillant could not fault it..

Room Tip: the front rooms are noisy at the front
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. I am so glad you were impressed by our foyer and the food and staff in Kellys Foundry GrillHouse and at Breakfast in our Fitmaurice Restaurant.
I am sorry you were disappointed by the bedroom you were allocated. I would be delighted to upgrade you to one of our suites on your next visit and you could try our Spagos Italian Restaurant which has a great reputation locally.
I am so glad your children enjoyed the Leisure Club we are so lucky to have such a large swimming pool.
Thank you for your constructive review and I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you and your family back in the future.

Reviewed 27 May 2011

On arrival its a lovely hotel and staff are nice, rooms are nice and leisure centre is excellent but we had a spa package which was by far the worst i have ever visited.. very unprofessional, having arrived there to a sign on the door (entrance from the hotel) not to disturb as there was a treatment in progress !!! which turned out to be the fish treatment literally inside the door, the reception seemed to be the relaxation room. our package with both a half hour facial and half hour massage both turned out to be less than 20mins then the salt bath was nice but my friend was told just to get in and had no idea how to use the emergency stop or if or when it would stop (mayb the use of the Pennys dressing gowns made up for it dont get me wrong nothing wrong with Pennys when spas cost enough they could at least remove the labels to show we were getting value for money) no relaxation room.. definately would not recommend and dont order dinner in the hotel at the bar very very expensive. But overall they do offer some good packages but only eat here if the meal is included and dont go for the spa package, mayb the shopping package is a better option

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank miriammcgrath

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel . I am delighted that you liked our hotel but sorry to hear you did not like your Spa experience. I have forwarded your comments to our Spa operator Ealu Spa as I know they will value your feedback.
Thank you for your comments about our 5 Star Health and Fitness Centre we are delighted you found it excellent.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 16 May 2011

Very family friendly and Staff go way over and above to assist in any way possible. Coeliac diet is more than catered for in all the restaurants and their are specific menus available for this. The restaurants front onto the street and attract a passing trade which is good for variety. Food, accommodation and service is excellent here and we have returned many times for these reasons. This hotel is to be recommended. The hotel is nicely positioned to break the journey from Dublin to the south and is in close proximity also to the outlet mall at Kildare Village and the shopping centre in Newbridge.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask for a room upgrade
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
JerryRussell, General Manager at Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2011

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel on trip advisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our Hotel to be family friendly. Thank you for your comments on our accommodation, our restaurants and I am delighted you mentioned that you found us good on Coeliac Friendly food. We host the Annual Coeliac Conference and we pride ourselves on catering for Special Diets. Most of all I am delighted that you found our staff friendly and professional.
Once again thank you for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in the near future.
General Manager.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
The Killeshin Hotel
#1 of 1 in Abbeyleix
Roundwood House
Roundwood House
#1 of 1 in Mountrath

Been to Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)

Address: 20 Jessop Street, Portlaoise R32 DT04, Ireland (Formerly Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)
Region: Ireland > Province of Leinster > County Laois > Portlaoise
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Price Range: £62 - £143 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:4 star — Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel) 4*
Designed to reflect style, planned with meticulous care to deliver service excellence, The Midlands Park Hotel has earned itself the reputation of being the most sought after hotel in Ireland. Nestled in the heart of Portlaoise Town, this sophisticated urban setting is perfect for business or pleasure. Its striking entrance creates an impressive sense of space and classic modern elegance. Our 115 deluxe bedrooms, incorporating executive rooms & suites offer the splendour of classic design with modern elegance and includes the latest in wireless internet technology complimentary. You will be spoiled for choice with our unique choice of Restaurants and Bars. Our White Flag Award Winning Health & Leisure Club is also available for all our guests. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Heritage Hotel Portlaoise