“4 years and counting.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Belfast, United Kingdom
“4 years and counting.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2011

i use the hotel a lot because of its location, friendly staff, superb restaurants, and a great nights sleep. its my favourite hotel in this area for all the above reasons.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JerryRussell, General Manager at Portlaoise Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2011
Dear Guest
Thank you for posting your review on our Hotel. I am delighted that you use our Hotel so much and hence I really value your report .I am most glad that you find our staff friendly and you enjoy our choice of restaurants. Both Spagos Italian Bistro and Kellys Foundry Grillhouse remain very popular with the locals but we are not sitting on our laurels we are working hard to retain this. We remain committed in both restaurants to offering superb food at great prices. The Team will be very proud that you count us as your favourite hotel. Thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Jerry Russell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

This hotel could do with a fresh lick of paint. The room we stayed in was quite dark with no view to speak of although the bed was comfortable. The cooked breakfast was too big and greasy. The hotel is however very centrally located for a trip to Portlaoise and the rate we got was very reasonable.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
JerryRussell, General Manager at Portlaoise Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review of our Hotel. We are always delighted to recieve feedback as it is a measure of how we are currently performing. I am sorry you found your bedroom a little bit tired but may I assure you we do have an ongoing capital spend where we are refurbishing and renewing our product in a planned fashion.
I am delighted you found the Hotel well located and that you found our rates very reasonable. Thank you for your comments.
Dublin, Ireland.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

My Husband and myself stayed on Fri 1st & Sat 2nd July. Our package deal included 2 nights B&B, 1 Dinner, a box of chocolates & bottle of wine in our room upon arrival (however neither of us drink alcohol), a 30 minute back massage and a BalneoTherapy treatment for EUR298. It is a good deal so my Husband booked it as a surprise for our anniversary.

As mentioned by another reviewer the Hotel is in the middle of a street in Portlaoise, it’s not in an isolated area. We parked in the Q-Carpark, which is obviously not part of the hotel but is located right beside it. We came in from the back of the Hotel to get to the reception area. The foyer is really nice and initially you think it’s going to be like that everywhere. Our first introduction to the Hotel staff was extremely disappointing to say the least (‘first impressions last’). We were the only 2 people at the desk and the 2 receptionists were in the middle of discussing or trying to figure out something.. We stood there and they didn’t even look at us or say ‘Hello or if you could just bear with us for a minute or two’.. ‘Nothing was said’ and when they were ready the ‘local girl’ turned to serve us, barely a smile or a gesture of warmth. I have to say I have worked as a receptionist for many years in the past, and in prominent establishments and if I was to treat customers like that I would’ve had a major dressing down. Everybody knows that if you are ‘front of House’, you are the first person to make an impression on the client/customer and this will be a lasting impression – so it should be a friendly, welcoming one! However, we both felt she just went through the motions and it was hard for her to crack a smile. I thought if this is a ‘local’ girl she’s not only being a poor ambassador for the Hotel but also for her locality.

The Hotel is quite big and has a choice of 3 places to eat; the Italian restaurant – ‘Spagos’, the ‘Fitzmaurice Restaurant’ (open for breakfast & carvery lunch) and a Café Lounge called the ‘Coffee Bean’ (I think..). There is also a fitness centre with a small gym, large pool and Jacuzzi and a Spa called The Ealu Spa. So there is plenty of choice for eating and also for something to do in your leisure.

However our hotel room was a bit disappointing. Our room was on the 2nd floor, you have to use your room card to access the lifts which is a good security measure. As we walked onto the 2nd floor from the lift we remarked at how warm it was on the floor and again it was a nice large area. We got to our room and our initial impression was how ‘tired and dated’ the room looked. It’s just so drab and lacking any vibrancy. The room was quite big and had a double and single bed and table and chairs. The room looks out onto the back of the building and onto a railway track, so we could hear / see the train going by about two or more times a day, I personally didn’t mind this but I can imagine this could disturb some people. There is no ‘flat screen’ TV – which always gives a better impression. There are coffee and tea making facilities but I felt they were placed in an awkward position. The bed itself: the bedspread which was turned down, looked worn out and lacking colour (not sure if this was the style or just after a period of time) it revealed a brown ‘wool blanket’ and the sheets (I hate to see wool blankets in this day and age). There was just one pillow each and they were as flat as pancakes and I thought to myself I bet we won’t enjoy sleeping on them; wish I had brought my own. I immediately took a pillow from the single bed for my Husband. The quality of the bed linen and pillows were so old fashioned and honestly in my mind not to a 4 star standard. In the bathroom; the bath-tub provided its own problems; the ‘cold tap’ on the bath would not turn at all, so when I filled my bath and tried to add cold water I realized it then, so I had to let the ‘cold shower’ run into it to cool it down and obviously this took longer to do so. (So why didn’t I notify “reception” about it? – I thought what’s the point? I wasn’t impressed with them already and as I was “ready” to have my bath (my husband was in the gym) I thought what are they going to do? Possibly send up a plumber or maintenance man and it’ll possibly take time to remedy it..etc and disrupt us... all I want is to have a bath and I was trying not to allow anything to upset our weekend – I actually forgot about it when we were leaving). There is also no ‘safety box’ in the room. The room was clean in general but as another reviewer remarked, there were ‘marks’ on the walls, which leads to questions as to what they are. Overall we felt the room was old fashioned, looking like something out of the 90’s era and there is absolutely no ‘wow factor’.

We booked dinner as part of our ‘deal’ in the Italian restaurant ‘Spagos’ in the Hotel. The ‘Maitre D’ is a Dublin man and I must say he made a better impression on us than the Hotel staff, he is very charismatic and friendly, he made us feel like we were about to embark on the most amazing culinary experience of our lives. I strongly suggest that he should be brought into the Hotel reception to show the staff how to greet guests, how to make them feel welcome and special! :) We enjoyed the meal, although our ‘set menu’ was not an elaborate menu, the service was very good and the food was enjoyable. It seemed to be a popular place and the staff are very attentive.

We slept reasonably well that night, it was noisy with people outside at different stages with people at the back of the building and also passers-by but I still got back to sleep but perhaps it would affect other people. It was quite warm in the room so we had to have the window open which doesn't help with the noise factors. Unfortunately due to the ‘flat’ pillow, my neck was killing me the next morning.

As we went towards breakfast I requested an extra pillow for our room, she said dismally without any smiles ‘they’re all the same, but I’ll ask Housekeeping to send it up’.. (terrible customer service). Unfortunately it was true ‘they were all the same'!. Breakfast: The breakfast room is in the Fitzmaurice restaurant which is used for breakfast and ‘carvery’ during the day. We waited to be served and the waiter (a foreign gentleman) told us it was ‘self service’ and to take a seat. He forgot to ask us did we want tea and coffee so we ended up asking him ourselves later on. We noticed and felt that some of the staff look flustered, there was one small waitress who seemed to be running around the place all the time and she seemed under pressure and perhaps it affected her ‘outward appearance ie. Again no smiles whatsoever (Is this their policy I begin to wonder?? - I hardly saw any staff give genuine smiles and greetings; with the exception of Spagos). The breakfast is served in buffet style (which I personally dislike). The selection is basic; (taking into account that is a 4 star) – nothing interesting or adventurous; just ‘average food’. Standard cereals; cornflakes, rice crispies, wheetabix, muesli. There was no fresh fruit, only tinned fruit and yoghurt. There was one type of brown bread and then sliced white pan to toast. A small selection of pastries, which went very quickly. The ‘fried breakfast’ consisted of the usual; rashers, sausages, pudding, fried egg, scrambled egg, mushrooms and beans. I just don’t like it this way but understand the need for it but personally I never enjoy it the way I would a freshly cooked breakfast. On the 2nd morning my breakfast wasn’t hot it was just warm, but by this stage I just didn’t bother finishing it (as mentioned I thought the staff were flustered enough).

We availed of our treatments in the on-site Ealu Spa. You need to make the appointments yourself in advance. Immediately, we both noticed that there is probably not enough space for all the treatments, as we noticed one poor woman having her ‘Fish Pedicure’ right inside the door at the back entrance, which means everybody can have a good gawk at her and the fish when going by. I remarked to my husband that it must feel really awkward for the clients. We both had a 30 minutes back massage, which was pleasant. After that we had the Balneotheraphy; this is a 30 minute session in a bath (similar to a Jacuzzi) which starts with gentle bubbles circulating around your body and then towards the end it becomes more like a Jacuzzi bath. The water was only luke warm, which is possibly the way it should be – no idea as it wasn’t explained to us during our individual session. Neither of us particularly enjoyed the experience and thought to ourselves what was that all about; but we’re glad we tried it out. In general, the staff in the Ealu Spa are young, friendly and helpful but would add that for us (being avid fans of Spa treatments) it seems like a very ‘average’ Spa.
We also had lunch in the ‘coffee bean’ café in the hotel. We had soup and coffee which was nice and the girls here are pleasant, it was good having this place on site, as I don’t think there are many ‘coffee lounge’ options in Portlaoise itself.

On the 2nd night we had dinner, which was an early sitting (5pm – all that was available or 9.45pm) in Kelly’s Grill across the road from the Hotel, the food was nice and the staff are pleasant there too.

I would make a point regarding the ‘package deals’ provided in the Hotel. We think that the treatments and the chocolates & drink etc. are a great idea as another incentive in booking, eg. Wine and Chocolates in room upon arrival. However I think in this day and age they should also include a non-alcoholic beverage option to accompany the chocolates to include ‘all’ members of society and not just those who drink alcohol and by doing this it avoids any confrontations regarding same (based on personal experience but I won’t go into now).

In conclusion, there are definitely ‘pros’ and ‘cons’ to staying at this Hotel. We definitely enjoyed our weekend, but that was more to do with ‘the company’ than the surroundings, we just made the most of it. We just feel there is nothing special to draw us back to the Heritage Hotel. This hotel does not offer any luxury or frills that one would expect to receive in a 4 Star Hotel. Together with the fact that some of the staff lack professionalism, friendliness and even enthusiasm. Our lack of welcome from the first moment of arrival and in general any interaction with staff did not leave us with a good impression (excluding the staff of Spago’s). Our ‘departure’ admittedly was alittle better than our arrival, but at that stage it’s too late. On the basis of my review and the other reviews, I hope the Hotel Manger reads this review and takes into account some of the things that have been pointed out. If I was the Manager I would definitely monitor the reception area and see things ‘through the guest’s eyes’ and I would definitely re-train staff members on the importance of how guests should be treated from start to finish. It would also be a good thing if the general décor and furnishings in the bedrooms were reviewed. I think there is such a varying degree of reviews on this Hotel that it is extremely confusing for prospective clients. I personally didn’t book this hotel, but all I would say is that some people have an expected ‘standard’ that they feel should be fulfilled with a four star, whilst others seem indifferent, so it depends on which category you fall into? For my Husband and myself, we strongly feel if you are claiming Four Star status then there should be a higher standard provided in all aspects!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to recieve such a detailed account of your stay . I will certainly investigate the service issues you have raised and reflect on your advice. I would be very appreciative if you could contact me on 057 867 8588 and I can talk through your review.
Once again thank you for your time and I look forward to talking to you.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

my wife and I had great time here the pool was great the bed room very clean and the was great to. Lovery little town worm and friendly people two restruant the lemomtree in the main street and of the main street a chinese restruant and the pubs where great

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
JerryRussell, General Manager at Portlaoise Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2011
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Portaloise Heritage Hotel and had a good time exploring the Town. Thank you for your feedback as it is most valuable to us.
Next time you will have to try our two restaurants Kellys Foundry Grillroom specialising in Hot Rock Cuisine and Spagos Italian Bistro which is really authentic Italian cooking in a great atmosphere.
We thank you for your comments and hopefully look forward to inviting you back in the near future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

Just had a lovely short break in this hotel and would highly recommend to anyone.
The rooms were fantastic and had everything we needed. The staff were so helpful and accomodating from the time we made the booking and during our stay. Can't speak highly enough about the reservation staff, especially Amanda who was so patient and attentive.
We ate at the bar and really enjoyed the food also enjoyed use of the leisure facities. We'll be back!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

I noticed that the manager responded to my review so I decided to respond to his response.  I'm not quite sure why he made the assumption that I did not have the opportunity to use the "extensive facilities" - I did use some - I ate in the Italian restaurant - service was
very good, food was average.  I
used the spa and treated myself
and my mum to a fish pedicure - as
another poster explained the
treatment happens just inside the
door of the spa.  You literally walk
in the door and the tank is behind
the door - really really really badly
positioned.  So as a result of this
poor positioning, anyone who walks
in the door can have a look at you
and your feet!  Not the most
relaxing or private experience!  My
plan was to have a lovely mother-
daughter experience but guess what
- not what what happened.  What
did happen?  Well Well I was just about to put my feet into the tank when a random women walked in the door stood looking at me and my feet and started to have a chat.  A few mins layer when she was told that there was no more availability for the fish pedi that day - she turned to me in a cheeky way and said "you just got in ahead of me and nabbed my pedi".  Firstly I had booked the previous week, secondly She should not have been allowed to stand there talking to me like that and thirdly - can you believe - she stood there for the full 25 mins asking the girl who worked there questions like "how is that hygenic, different peoples feet going in and out of the water" & "oh look they seem to like her little toe".  She finally got bored half way through my mams treatment and left, but she ruined our experience.  Layer when i went to pay - i told The girl who worked there that i was very upset by the lady's presence throughout my treatment, she responded "i know i was hoping that she would leave and i tried to make her"  This was not the case, she did and said nothing to encourage her.  The girl was lovely, but no she did not try to get that lady to leave.  So yes I did have the
opportunity to experience some of
the hotels facilities, but they
certainly didnt change my opinion
of the hotel.
I would like to add to my previous post by saying that - in fairness to the receptionist - when I was checking out I told her how the breakfast was delivered 45mins late to the room and she did not charge for the tray, which was a very fair gesture.  I still would not stay there again though!  Please forgive any typos - I'm doing this review on my
phone - not the easiest!

• Stayed June 2011
      Location
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
JerryRussell, General Manager at Portlaoise Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2011
Dear Guest
thank you to reponding to my response as I am always glad to recieve further feedback. I am sorry that you unhappy with my response. The service issues you encountered in our Spa will be most beneficial to us in assessing where we do this treatment going forward. Our spa operator is the award winning Ealu and they will be most interested by your comments. I am very sorry that you were disturbed by another person during your fish pedicure and we will certainly review this.
If you would like to contact me directly on jerryrussell@theheritagehotel.com I would be delighted to talk to you.
Jerry Russell

Travellers are raving about these Portlaoise hotels

County Cavan, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2011

We stayed here for a romantic weekend away. The hotel is impressive on first sight. Lots of choice for eating within the hotel and we enjoyed the bar both nights. The food in the bar beside reception was only adequate. My soup was cold and had to be sent back. Both my husband and I ordered pasta which was supposed to come with a buttery cream sauce - very little butter and even less cream! It was also expensive for what we got. Very disapointed - so much so that we didnt eat again in the hotel except for breakfast. Like other guests, catching someone at breakfast to order tea or coffee to be brought to the table wasnt good enough. It should be a priority to be offered. Breakfast was good though.
We were offered free parking in the car park - but we were prepared to complain if it wasnt offered.
The rooms are old style and do need to be updated.
I did venture to the Spa. One of my treatments - the fish pedicure was cancelled with short notice - very disapointing. The facial was a nice experience with a good therapist. Very expensive though.
We asked for a quiet room - we were placed in the upstairs foyer beside the lifts - not very conducive to sleep. By far the most awkward of experiences at the hotel was being woken up in the middle of the night with our bed moving and shaking due to the night time activities of a very adventuorus couple next door. Lets just say that the noise level increased dramtically at that stage also! It is a good job we have a sense of humour!
The pool area was nice.
As I said, nice hotel but not sure we would be back. Lots of room for improvement! Including much thicker walls!!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. We are always pleased to recieve feedback so we can see how we are doing. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay on the whole but sorry there were service issues like breakfast where we fell down on our usual standard. The points you raised in your review will be the subject of an operations meeting and we as a team will do our utmost to resolve these issues.
I would be delighted if you gave us another opportunity in the future as we are most eager to learn and excell.
Jerry Russell.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
The Killeshin Hotel
#1 of 1 in Mountrath
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Abbeyleix

Been to Portlaoise Heritage Hotel? Share your experiences!