“Ealu Spa - Dont waste your money...” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Portlaoise Heritage Hotel

Portlaoise Heritage Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Dublin, Ireland
“Ealu Spa - Dont waste your money...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

Having prebooked treatments well in advance we where told (after a 2hour drive down specifically to use spa) upon our arrival that one treatment we had looked forward to trying could not be carried out due to maintenance - A simple phonecall explaining this could have allowed us to rearrange our appointment to a more suitable time... As we had pre payed we where offered to choose a different treatment as a replacement however the treatments carried out where quite limited in my opinion. We left feeling like our business was simply not wanted due to little things like mistaking my name, towels not being changed and not asking the client if pressure,heat, ect during treatments where ok. To be fair i dont blame the beautician working in the spa (as more staff should have been working in the first place to allow for even work distribution) but the spa itself as a business is questionable. I would not recommend this spa however hotel staff where polite and helpful when encountered.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
PortlaoiseHeritage, Gemma Jordan General Manager at Portlaoise Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review on trip advisor.

I am disappointed to hear your feedback in regards Ealu Spa. I have passed on your message to the Spa Manager Noelle, who was anxious and disappointed with your comments. Noelle and I would greatly appreciate if you can contact us so we can get to the bottom of your comments and experience you received in the Ealu Spa.

As a point to note Ealu Spa is ran separately to the hotel as it is an outsourced, but in saying this I take full responsibility for any issues that may occur.

Sincere apologies for the matter as a whole, Ealu Spa and the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel look forward to speaking with you so we can both apologize in person and attempt to turn your experience you had in Ealu Spa around.

Portlaoise Heritage Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

We recently held a day conference in the hotel. It was a great location and the lunch offerings were also great. However we had a not so lovely surprise of €11 per car at the end of the day for parking.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review on trip advisor regarding your conference.

The team & I are delighted with your comments in regards to your conference overall. We are thrilled with your comments that your found the lunch offerings and location beneficial and to quote your own words ‘’great’’.

In regards to car parking there are numerous offerings to cater for conferences and in house guests, As you will have noted the multi story car park is not ran or operated by the hotel. We have negotiated discounted conference & overnight rates with Q - Park Ireland. Pending on the organizers of conferences some choose to include rates for delegates and some do not. I appreciate your comments in regards to the car parking fee, as we do not own or operate the car park, & is a completely separate business discounted rates are the best we can offer.

I hope you do understand the position we are in but once again I appreciate your comments fully.

Once again Thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in the near future for your business or leisure purpose or indeed both !!

Thank you sincerely once again for taking the time to post your review.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

Located in the centre of town which is straight of the M7 motorway. once we arrived we just parked our car up and didn't need to see it for our trip although the pay parking does add to unexpected expenses, A card is giving to cover your from 6pm till 10am but checkout is not till 12. We stayed till 3 as there was a match on and for them extra 5 hours it was €8, that would be okay anywhere else but considering we were in spending money having lunch in the hotel seemed a bit much.
The lobby was lovely and I got a really nice welcome from the desk and I felt well looked after by reception at check out.
Within the hotel itself there is plenty to do, there is a lovely cafe, a nice quite pub area during the the day which at night felt like a local full of chat and very friendly pub.
After check in we went up to our lovely room, it was amazing. Very clean, you could not fault it. I couldn't wait to have a big sleep in the bed. We went for a drink before heading to Neil Delmer which was on in the hotel but when we went up to the bar we were made seem to be getting in the way of a dicussion that the 4 bar people were having and were not looked after in a 4* manner. After Neil Delmer we went in to the town, all the pubs were just around the cornor and there was planty of chioce.
Breakfast was lovely, plenty of choice. the servers however seemed more interested in chating, although they did a fair job.
After breakfast we went to the Pool, the staff were lovely. It was a lovely big pool. It was a saturday morning so I was a bit worried about thinking it was going to be full of kids and with my sore head from the night before that wouldn't be good. there was plenty of kids there but they were well supervised and kept busy with all the floats provided for them.
We had our lunch in the cafe the next day food was lovely but service lacked. The waitress didnt seem interested, menu's on the table but after 5 minutes i had to go up and order at the till area. Same again when we were finished, we got cleared but were never asked did we want tea or coffee. We wern't going to bother then and just head off but the match was getting good so my boyfriend got up and ordered tea and buns.The buns were lovely. As we were sitting around watching the match I noticed it took them ages to clear the dirty tables and when one woman came out to do it she cleared 5 of them and did not wipe or fix any of the chairs around them. A few minutes later a couple came up and I could see them trying to look for a clean table. They sat a dirty one!
Didn't use the resturant but the menu and resturant itself looked lovely.
The hotel is lovely, I have a few issues with the service but I enjoyed the hotel itself so much I would go back. Having a hotel thats only 20 minutes away on a motorway is blessings. With great pubs around the cornor, great breakfast and wonderful service in the health I will be back for that.

Room Tip: I was in 236 a suite, amazing room
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
PortlaoiseHeritage, Gemma Jordan General Manager at Portlaoise Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review on trip advisor.

I am in full agreement in regards to our fantastic location, this hugely aids the hotel.

I appreciate your comments in regards to the numerous outlets the hotel has to offer from the Coffee Bean, Charter bar, Breakfast, Leisure centre. I am delighted you enjoy your time in the hotel while attending Neil Delamere.

I appreciate your comments in regards to good customer service as a whole, I have noted your comments in regards to the service issue in the coffee bean on the Saturday. Training has been implemented as to ensure our shortcomings will not occur again in the future.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, thank you for taking the time for posting your comments, apologies for our shortcomings in the Coffee Bean.

Thank you sincerely once again for taking the time to post your review with benefits the team and the hotel as a whole.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you & your boyfriend both back to the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in the near future.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

Four of us booked to stay for one night. It started good bar man Barry was great even got us food from restaurant as it was booked out however things went down hill after he went of duty at 19.00. The next bar man and his staff were not very nice and seemed more intrested in chating among themselves then serving customers.
There was my wife and I and a friend and his wife. When I bought a round of drinks I paid cash my friend charged his room we didnt stay out late about 11pm but when my friend was leaving he was asked to sign his bar reciepts of €289. He tought I had been charging my drinks to his bill and signed. On taking about it later I told him I payed y rounds in cash each time. I contacted the hotel by email but was told he signed the tads and more or less tuff. If we had drank and eaten €500 in 3 hours I think the 4 of us would have been carried out.
So advice dont run a tab as my friend was well and truly ripped off.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear guest,

Thank you for your posting on Trip advisor,

As per our pervious correspondence when I received your mail on the 6th February at 5pm, you would have received my reply to your queries on 7th February at 12 noon.

As per my detailed mail, I can assure you all dockets for food & Beverages were signed to your friends room - I can send you a copy for your information if you wish. I can assure you as General Manager I take all comments on board to ensure all procedures are in place.

The team and I are disappointed that you have mentioned that you will not be staying or recommending the Portlaoise Heritage in the future. As I have explained above the Beverage & Food bills was fully signed for which acknowledges the bills were for both yourself & your friends rooms.

As per my correspondence on the 7th of February, I am disappointed that you did not contact me if you required further information or if you felt that situation and detailed information did not meet your satisfaction.

Again Sir, please do not hesitate to contact me personally where I will be delighted to discuss the matter in detail.

Kind Regards,

Gemma Jordan

Travellers are raving about these Portlaoise hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

We had a fantastic break in this hotel and as I am Coeliac was wondering would I be catered for and I had no worries as this hotel does a fantastic range of gluten free foods including pastas and pitzas and a full range of breads etc. The staff had no problem explaining all to me. Overall we were catered for very well and would have no problem recommending this hotel for anyone.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PortlaoiseHeritage, Gemma Jordan General Manager at Portlaoise Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review on trip advisor. A review which is scored so highly is greatly celebrated at the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel as a whole, Kelly’s Foundry Grill house & Spago’s Italian Restaurant so thank you most sincerely on behalf of the team and I.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, excellent customer and personal service is one element that makes us different from other hotels and I am delighted that you partner agree. The team and I are delighted that your stay was such a great success and once again thank you for taking the time for posting your comments.

The Food & Beverage team & Kitchen team along with the entire team in the hotel are delighted that we were able to cater for your needs, We cater as you have mentioned for Coeliac’s and have gluten free products in house as a rule.

Thank you sincerely once again for taking the time to post your wonderful review with benefits the team and the hotel as a whole.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you both back to the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in the near future.

Dulin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

NEVER AGAIN!! There is so much wrong with this hotel that I cannot believe it to be a 4 star. It might have been at one stage but definitely not now. I note on their website they received a couple of awards back in 2006 which was 6 years ago now. The rooms were bad the facilities are bad and the food is nothing to write home about either!!

Rooms: The rooms were not clean. Cobwebs on the walls that were also in need of a repainting, filthy, dirty carpet and a large brown stain down the toilet bowl.

Facilities: For such a large hotel the facilities are a joke. A small bar that would have no more than about 7/8 tables in it, we were told they didn't serve lunch but that the coffee dock upstairs did. Grand. Until we went up to the coffee dock which again was far too small and could not accommodate a very large number of people - I would say there were a total of 9/10 tables here. It was also self-service which I found strange given the fact people normally book into a 4 star hotel for the service!!

Leisure Centre: We headed down to the leisure centre just after 6pm to be told that it closes at 6.30 pm at weekends – what hotel closes their leisure centre at 6.30 pm on the busiest days of the week?? Their website states that the leisure centre closes at 7pm.

Restaurants: The four of us had dinner in the grill across the road from the hotel (which was part of the package). Starters were very good but mains were a disgrace. We ordered 2 chicken dishes, one ribs and one steak. NONE of them were eaten. Ribs were so burnt there was no meat left on them, steak was so overcooked it was like chewing a piece of chewing-gum (medium-well was requested) and chicken was as dry as a bone. Initially we were offered sauce to pour over it to make it palatable!! Breakfast the next morning was very good although if you don’t mind sitting at a dirty table that was never fully set you’re good to go.

Parking: Parking facilities attached to the hotel have now been passed on to Q Park. There is free parking between 6pm and 10am and the hotel will give you a discounted rate of €1.50 per hour anytime before or after this period so you can still end up with a substantial parking bill at the end of your stay.

My advice is, if you’re thinking of staying here, DON’T.

Room Tip: The only helpful tip I can think of is to avoid this place totally.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
PortlaoiseHeritage, Gemma Jordan General Manager at Portlaoise Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review on trip advisor .

I am very disappointed in regards to your comments and title of your posting.

In regards to some of your points posted, The facilities such as the Charter Bar is only one of our bars over the weekend we have Molly’s bar also open and a large lobby to accommodate a spillover from the charter bar, this also accommodates the Coffee Bean facility.

I appreciate your comments in regards to the leisure centre & opening hours. The opening hours work well as a whole but as mentioned I appreciate your feedback.

In regards to Kelly’s Foundry Grill house I have spoken to our head chef and Restaurant Manager to come to the bottom of your comments, as you can see from many other postings as a whole the hotel prides itself on the standard of food and service, I am sincerely sorry you and your party did not enjoy your main course.

Breakfast as you noted is busy in particular at weekend, We had a full house and at peak times the restaurant becomes quite full, again sincere apologies.

I note you comments in regards to the car parking and yes unfortunately we do not own or operate the car park but have a great working relationship with the car park and are delighted to be in a position to offer our hotel guests discounted rates.

If you require further information please do not hesitate to contact me personally & apologies once again.

Yours Sincerely,

kilkenny, ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel recently with a group of friends. It was a mid week stay and they offered us an excellend package of B & B, evening dinner in the Italian restaurant, a facial and a car valet, all for 89 euro. It was excellent value. The hotel has a lovely cafe and nice restaurant. It also has a good size swimming pool and some rooms for beauty therapies. Only negative is that it does not have its own car park. It does a deal with a car park next door which gives a reduced price but it still cost us 10 euro. Also the pay machine only took coins, which I did not have and I had to go back into the hotel to locate some.

Room Tip: Not a room close to the train station.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review on trip advisor .

The Team & I are truly delighted with your comments. As you have mentioned we offer great midweek offers and delighted that you and your group of friends availed of such offer.

Thank you for your comments in regards to the Spago’s Italian restaurant, Coffee Bean, Spa & Leisure Centre - we are thrilled you and your group of friends enjoyed your stay & facilities.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in the near future.

Once again thank you for your posting.

Thanking you.

Kind Regards,

Gemma Jordan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
The Killeshin Hotel
#1 of 1 in Mountrath
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Abbeyleix

Been to Portlaoise Heritage Hotel? Share your experiences!