Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Reviewed 2 February 2013

have just returned from my fourth visit to the hotel and i have to say i was some what disappointed this time. The staff were very friendly as always and rooms just as good as last time i visited. Had dinner in the italian rest again but the service was very slow, it was busy but there was definately a shortage of staff. The bar that had always been open downstairs was shut and the bar in the hotel is very small and full so had to sit in foyer which was also very busy and no athmosphere so ended up going out to have a drink, not what we had planned to do at all, so please please open the bar up again, as i will be asking if i do ever plan to go back

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
PortlaoiseHeritage, Director of Sales at Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2013

Dear JennyF,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.

We are delighted that you stayed with us on many ocassions and you find our rooms comertable and our staff friendly.

We will take your comments on board as its only recieving constructive feedback that we can improve our product offering.

Thanks again,

Portlaoise Heritage Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,187)

Reviewed 23 January 2013

Stayed here midweek in January, good rate with dinner included. Rooms were good size & clean. Ate dinner in the Italian restaurant,beautiful food, great service, I didn't get down for breakfast so I can't comment on that. I will return.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Cain7
PortlaoiseHeritage, Director of Sales at Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2013

Dear Cain7,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review we really appreciate your kind comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Portlaoise Heritage Hotel

Reviewed 22 January 2013

If the hotel stays the same I wouldn’t be returning. In my opinion it should not have a 4 Star rating. Let me say for a 10 year old hotel it looks very tired and I would not put it at a 4 star hotel.

Main points against it.
1 Rooms overlook a Railway line and yes you can hear the trains.
2 Rooms cold and somewhat dirty.
3 Having to go outside and across the road on a cold wet night to the restaurant to have a meal included in you package, unacceptable.

I booked two rooms for two nights 4 people, we had requested quiet rooms but our room overlooked the rail line. Our room itself was ok and clean but I found the hairs in the bathroom. I didn’t point this out to anyone but the hairs were still there, after the room had been cleaned following our first night. The room was cold most of the time too even though we did request the heating be put on.

I found the bar area was far too small for a hotel of its size even using the reception seating area there were a lot of people struggling to find seating. I understand there is another bar but it was closed.

We were on a package including dinner and I find it ridicules that people are expected to have to go outside on a cold raining night, to go to a restaurant across the road to have dinner. I phoned three days earlier I booked the restaurant but when we got there they had no booking. We had to wait for a table, yet people (non residents) that came in after us got one straight away.

I would like to compliment the hotel on the quality of the food. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner in the various areas of the hotel, was very good. Also apart from one receptionist who was rude, the staff were very professional and friendly.

If it had been a good quality 4 star hotel, the price I paid would have been reasonable but for what I got I will not be returning as there is a lot better available for that price.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear bigbikerjoe,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts regarding your stay with us. I am delighted you enjoyed your culinary experience at the hotel.

My sincere apologies for the shortcomings you experienced in the hotel. I have addressed the concerns you kindly highlighted with the team.

I hope we have the chance to welcome you back in the near future, do let me know I can be of any assistance, it would be my pleasure.

Reviewed 20 January 2013 via mobile

Got a present of one night BnB with dinner and wine for two. The carpark system is a joke for this hotel. Its privately owned. Says its free if between 6pm and 10am. Now when the standard hotel check in is from 2pm and check out at 12 I just think its extremely cheeky to have to pay to park at a hotel that is in the middle of the town with no alternative parking.
On check in,it was booked under my name but the receptionist didn't advise on the meal or wine. When I'd checked in,I had to enquire how I book the restaurant so she made out a voucher.that was done and then had lo enquire about the wine. If I hadnt asked then I wouldn't have known about the voucher system! I think when its paid up front then it should be just ready for you,because if you didn't then it makes it awkward later on when going for the meal.
There was 2pillows on the double bed. Flat as pancakes?the mattress was lumpy. Think we slept about two hrs.
Rooms are comfortable but outdated I think.
Breakfast was really good and the restaurant served a lovely dinner.
Overall the hotel is ok,wouldn't stay there again. It was a great deal other than that I wouldn't stay there.
Oh back to parking....on check out I had to pay 10euro the park at the hotel. Iv never paid that for any 5star hotel! Plus what's more is I found out that parking was included in the package. So again the same receptionist who checked us in didn't bother checking to see if it was in the package. When a. Hotel booking says complimentary parking. I'd think it should be free! I know its not a fortune but it left a taint because the receptionist was highly incompetent at her job.

• Stayed: January 2013
PortlaoiseHeritage, Director of Sales at Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2013

Dear DavidD,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

I am dissapointed to hear that your room was not up to the standard we strive to achieve, it is only by recieving constructive feedback that we can continue imporve on our facilities and service.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your meals in the hotel.

We look forwad to welcoming you back in the near future.

Thanks again for your comments.

Reviewed 18 January 2013

Stay here for two days as a package . One evening meal and 2 nights B&B- New years eve and New years day . Very central location in the middle of Portlaoise. Check in was quick and hassle free. We had parked in the car park next door but were given a ticket by reception to come in and out as we pleased without having to pay.
The room was nice and clean. We turned off the heating in the room as it was nice and warm.
We had our meal in Spago's Italian Bistro on new years eve and bar food on new years day . The exact same variety of vegetable were served with each meal . The veg served in the bar didnt look fresh and the baby corn were grey. When I made a comment on this to the barmen his reaction was to tell me "He didnt cook the food"!! I asked him to check with the kitchen - who said they were roasted veg and that accounted for the grey colour...... I dont think so.
Overall a good experience and value for money

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Kellieseye,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.

I am delighted to hear that overall you enjoyed your experience with us.

However I am very dissapointed to hear that you were let down by the food.

Usually we get excellent comments in regard to our food.

It is only by recieving constructive feedback that we can continue to imporve our food offering.

Thanks again for your feeback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Sales and Marketing Manger

Reviewed 14 January 2013

Myself and my husband and twin girls 5 stayed in this hotel over the Christmas period for a break. We really enjoyed the hotel. Staff very friendly. Rooms were bright and clean - lots of room for us all. The breakfast was very nice also. The swimming pool was the hit of the trip and my girls had a blast. The staff were very helpful and didn't demand that we leave at 6.30 when the pool closed. Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anyone - especially if you have kids!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank CiaraMcG1

Dear CiaraMcG1,

Dear Ciara,

Thank you for you positive comments , we are delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 13 January 2013

We have stayed here several times and keep going back for more. The hotel is fairly modern and is situated in the centre of Portlaoise very close to the train station. The staff are very welcoming and nothing is too much bother. Breakfast is a buffet and not bad but when it is busy theycan be slow in bring out fresh food. Would recommend the the Foundry Steakhouse attached to the hotel - great food at a reasonable price.

The hotels website seems to have the best prices.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Kranbo,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us, we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are also delighted to hear that you enjoyed the Foundry Steakhouse and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Sales and Marketing Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
The Killeshin Hotel
#1 of 1 in Abbeyleix
Kildare House Hotel
Kildare House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kildare

Been to Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)

Address: 20 Jessop Street, Portlaoise R32 DT04, Ireland (Formerly Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)
Region: Ireland > Province of Leinster > County Laois > Portlaoise
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Price Range: £62 - £134 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:4 star — Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel) 4*
Designed to reflect style, planned with meticulous care to deliver service excellence, The Midlands Park Hotel has earned itself the reputation of being the most sought after hotel in Ireland. Nestled in the heart of Portlaoise Town, this sophisticated urban setting is perfect for business or pleasure. Its striking entrance creates an impressive sense of space and classic modern elegance. Our 115 deluxe bedrooms, incorporating executive rooms & suites offer the splendour of classic design with modern elegance and includes the latest in wireless internet technology complimentary. You will be spoiled for choice with our unique choice of Restaurants and Bars. Our White Flag Award Winning Health & Leisure Club is also available for all our guests. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Heritage Hotel Portlaoise