“Fantastic staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Portlaoise Heritage Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Portlaoise Heritage Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

I was travelling with business partners and we chose the hotel for it's central location.
I can't speak for the town, but the hotel is a little jewel and should not be missed if looking for a base in central Ireland.
The decor and rooms are excellent and bat well above their official rating. We ate in the Italian Bistro and the food was excellent and value for money, but the staff were just brilliant and made sure we had an enjoyable night, even if we did get a little noisy at one point.
Retiring to the bar, we again had excellent service and wanted for nothing, but the jewel in the crown was to be found at reception. I have travelled a bit over the years and I have met some really good front-of-house managers, but here I met the best. I'll even name her - "Mary" - as she is without doubt the best hotel receptionist I have ever come across. We we're meeting customers at the hotel, trying to arrange some golf and then we find that our ferry had been cancelled and needed to cancel our last night and re-locate to Dublin. Everything I asked for help with was taken on board by Mary, who then sent me away to "get on with what I needed to do" whilst she sorted it….and she did, everything, including arranging a great deal for us in Dublin, confirming bookings and table reservations and then calling me to confirm all was done.
If there is a 'Receptionist of the Year' award then I want enter this lady; she'll win hands down!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PortlaoiseHeritage, General Manager at Portlaoise Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read you had such a pleasant stay with us and enjoyed your experience in Spago’s our Itialian Restaurant.
We pride ourselves on our customer service. Our guest’s satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us here at the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel. I am therefore delighted with your recognition of our values and have passed along your praise to Mary, such positive feedback is great for staff morale and she was delighted with your comments.
Once again thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review. We hope to welcome you back to The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in the future.

Gemma Jordan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Polish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my wife on a weekend getaway. Was really looking forward to it but we seemed to be let down on every aspect of the stay. The staff are good but untrained and a little unprofessional. They seem to be more interested in checking facebook than serving you but I'd put that down to poor supervision. The hotel is not 4 star and is an average 3 star. There are No toiletries in room but they have a soap pump unit on the wall. The rooms which are poorly decorated are ok but fairy basic more like a B and B. There were Dirty stains on the walls and the carpets need a good clean, Molly's bar in the hotel was not opened at all so we were left to sit in a bar with very little seating and no atmosphere. To the hotels credit the gym is well equipped spacious and modern. I got the feeling the hotel is being run on a shoestring budget. It's a fantastic facility just needs to be run correctly and invested in. It's budget feel ruins everything about what could be good.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Toadstools
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.
I am disappointed to read you felt let down by your recent stay with us. Here at the Portlaoise Heritage we strive to achieve high levels of customer satisfaction. We pride ourselves on our customer care so it is with great regret I find you did not experience this with us.
Use of mobile phones is not permitted during working hours so this is an issue which will be dealt with by our HR Manager following on from your disappointing comment. Training is our priority and I can assure you it is carried out regularly to ensure standards are in place. I am truly sorry we were found lacking on this occasion. If you can provide more information it would be greatly appreciated. I can be contacted on the details given below.
Regarding our bedrooms we are currently undertaking a redecorating project and hope to have it completed within the coming months. Additional toiletries required are available through our housekeeping office or at reception.
Molly’s bar now only caters for private functions, unfortunately in this economic climate it would not be justifiable to open a second outlet.
Again Thank for taking the time to post this review, your comments are very important to us. If you should decide to return to Portlaoise Heritage Hotel please do not hesitate to contact me personally.
Gemma Jordan

Travellers are raving about these Portlaoise hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

Stayed here with 4 friends for a ladies weekend. We all felt that The reception staff were not only unfriendly but rude. Hardly a hello or goodbye! The bar/cafe was very understaffed- but the staff were very courteous. The in room breakfast was great but again unfriendly staff.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank enniskerry
PortlaoiseHeritage, General Manager at Portlaoise Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Thank you for you recent review on Tripadvisor. I am extremely disappointed to read you found shortcomings in our Reception Team. Customer satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us here at the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel. I have spoken with our Reception & Restaurant Management and rest assured training will be carried out with all staff members at once. Please accept my sincere apologies as a whole as mentioned customer service is key and essential it practiced daily.
Portlaoise, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Recently visited the hotel last Wednesday around 2 p.m for a lunch break, but left a bit disappointed. This particular place is quite well known in this area and when we got to the cafe and had one glance around I could see why the 4 star standard would not apply. I am not sure if the lack of stuff is the main issue but from all the tables available i can tell you that none of them where cleared, piles and piles of cups and jugs and plates and bread crumbs everywhere, on every table. After I managed to place my order which I carried to the table myself, I had to put my stuff down and start moving the dishes from my table to a different table where nobody was sitting and i found some space available next to the other pile of dishes.
The food was ok, what i had anyway, but my friend had a slice of cheese cake and after one bite she gave it up because it turned sour. Things like this happen, but when you expect 4 stars, you expect a clean table, a good service and good food to eat. I am not quite sure if i would return or not, but i did feel bad about the whole experience.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for you recent review on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to read you left feeding disappointed as I can assure you we strive to satisfy each and every customer. Lunchtime is our peak period and often extremely busy in the hotel. All our food is prepared fresh on a daily basis on site. I apologise we were found lacking on this occasion. I can assure you this is not a typical standard at the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel. I hope you will choose to dine with us again as I can assure you your experience was not a true reflection of the high standards we achieve.
Kildare, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We recently had our wedding reception in the heritage. Everything about our day was perfect the hotel was warm, welcoming, spotless including the rooms, the staff could not have been more friendly and helpful especially Sandra. Our guests are still talking about how nice the food was it was delicious. I would have no problem recommending this hotel to anyone and can not wait to stay there again.

Louise and Owen

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Louise M
Thank you for taking the time to write a review . It was our pleasure to share in your very special occasion. I am delighted to pass on your very kind feedback to the entire team.
We would like to Thank You for choosing The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel as your wedding venue and may I take this opportunity to wish you both every happiness for the future and looking forward to seeing you too.
roscommon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

Stayed for 1 night with a group of 15 ladies to celebrate a 50th birthday. Booked through Lidl at e49 for DBB. Many of us used the Spa and staff and treatments there were lovely, special deal of 30mins back massage and 30mins facial for e50. Some of us met at the coffee deck for lunch and there was a delicious selection of sandwiches, wraps etc at reasonable prices. For dinner we chose the Foundry Restaurant which was excellent. Atmosphere, food and service were fantastic. Deal included a 2 course dinner with a good selection of choices and we were allowed to bring a cake as desert.Breakfast was very busy as hotel was fully booked but it was very satisfactory. I think the main thing that stood out was the friendliness of all staff and this can make such a difference to a customers experience.I will return.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank RoscommonRosaleen
Thank you for your lovely Post on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us. I am glad you found our Coffee dock good value for money. We appreciate the times we are in and try to reflect this in our pricing. I will pass on your compliments to all our staff.
Again, your custom and feedback is greatly appreciated.
Cork
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

This is a 3 star hotel & not a 4 star as people keep saying in their reviews. My room was so out dated, carpet covered in nail varnish, curtains were filthy, showered had no power, just a drip of water. Had to take a bath as was just too tired to move room. My television had to be banged to work. Nothing nice about the bar, ended up having to go out for a takeaway. Wouldn't stay here ever agin.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for you your recent post on trip advisor. I am disappointed to learn you were unhappy with room. I have spoken with our accommodation Manager and I can assure you Maintenance issues have been addressed.
Should you decide to return to The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel please do not hesitate to contact me personally.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
The Killeshin Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ballyfin
Roundwood House
Roundwood House
#1 of 1 in Mountrath

Been to Portlaoise Heritage Hotel? Share your experiences!