“Disappointing” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Portlaoise Heritage Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Portlaoise Heritage Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

Stayed here for the weekend while visiting family. At 326:70 euros for 2 nights in a 4* hotel I really expected a bit more. The rooms were a bit dated as was the bathroom. We had loud music & car alarms wakening us on both nights. The room had double glazing but it didn't fit properly so it was as if the window was open. I've travelled a lot & to be honest, I've had a better stay in a Travelodge for a fraction of the price. Very unimpressed.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
PortlaoiseHeritage, General Manager at Portlaoise Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel on Tripadvisor. I am disappointed to learn you did not enjoy your stay with us.
We are currently in the process of painting a number of our bedrooms. Regarding the window in your bedroom not fitting properly I have spoken with our Maintenance Manager to carry out a full audit of all our windows immediately and rectify any issues.
Please accept my sincere apologies for our shortcomings on this occasion.
Should you decide to return to The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel please do not hesitate to contact me personally

Kind regards,

Gemma Jordan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Polish first
Kelowna, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

We were unfamiliar with this part of Ireland and ended up there around the time to stop for the day. We picked this hotel as it looked very nice at the front and was big so would likely have vacancies. It was lovely in the lobby but a bit over priced for the actual room. It was looking out the back with a railway right there. It did have free parking though and was close to the town center. There was a wedding there which was fine except the guests were a bit noisy returning to their rooms at night and they had it in the lobby which meant the rest of us could not use it. I would not have minded except that we had paid a good price and expected more. We asked the receptionist to assist us with a phone number to call someone we knew in the area and she was unable to do so (turned out there was 1 too many numbers at the beginning which she should have been able to figure out. Also when we asked for ice the maid said we could get it at the bar for 4 Euros! (All other hotels provided it free)

Room Tip: Breakfast was great.Beautiful dining room with lots to eat and hot. Recommend you purchase it at che...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank helpfultraveller99
PortlaoiseHeritage, General Manager at Portlaoise Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for posting your recent review on Tripadvisor.

We are quite fortunate to be located within walking distance of the shops and many bars & restaurants in Portlaoise town centre; however the drawback of this is not every room can have the most desirable of view. Our rates are quite competitive with other hotels in the area, obviously weekends would be our busiest time in the hotel and therefore more expensive depending on availability.

Here at the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel we pride ourselves on Customer Service and I am disappointed to read our receptionist was unable to assist you on this occasion. Each area has a unique dialing code so therefore it may be quite difficult to ascertain a wrong digit.
Regarding Ice it is available in our bar, I have to admit on this occasion I am baffled in regards to the feedback you received that we charge for this service. This service is complimentary. In light of this feedback I will ensure the entire team are aware that ice is complimentary.
Once again thank you for taking the time to write this review. All comments are appreciated and taken on board.

Cork
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

I enjoyed staying here, the hotel itself is fine, a great 3 star hotel as opposed to a average 4 star.
The food was fine. The room was a bit on the small side, the bed I found to be very hard.
Overall this place with a bit of attention could certainly become a proper 4 star

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for posting your recent review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us.
We are currently undertaking a redecoration project and hope to have it completed in the New Year. Many of our beds purchased are upgraded and I am sorry to hear the mattress was too hard for your liking.
We hope to welcome you back to The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in the near future

Dundee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

I stayed 2 nights on a budget break with a group of friends. We all agreed that the staff were friendly and helpful, especially Lorraine and Eugene, the food was excellent and the rooms comfortable with excellent quality sheets which is always welcome. The only negative comment we had was that carpets needed to be changed throughout. However overall a good all rounder and excellent value.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for posting your recent review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read your group enjoyed their stay with us.
We pride ourselves on providing a quality customer service and it is with great pleasure I pass on your compliments to Eugene and Lorraine and also our Chef for the excellent food review.
We hope to look at upgrading carpets where needed in the new year.
You comments are greatly appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in the future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Hotel foyer looks great, bedrooms are very comfortable, carpet in bar badly needs cleaned or replaced. Excellent bar food, I had Thai green curry, my wife had salmon fillet. Good restaurants in the vicinity, hotel is centrally placed.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PortlaoiseHeritage, General Manager at Portlaoise Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Thank you for reviewing the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel on Tripadvisor. Your comments are highly valued.
We are very fortunate to be located in such close proximity to the town centre, within five minutes walk there are a great selection of shops, bars and restaurants to chose from.
I am delighted to read you enjoyed your meal in the bar. We strive to offer a varied menu and value for money. I have taken on board your comments regarding the carpet and it is something which will be replaced within the new year.
Once again thank you for your review.

Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

I was travelling with business partners and we chose the hotel for it's central location.
I can't speak for the town, but the hotel is a little jewel and should not be missed if looking for a base in central Ireland.
The decor and rooms are excellent and bat well above their official rating. We ate in the Italian Bistro and the food was excellent and value for money, but the staff were just brilliant and made sure we had an enjoyable night, even if we did get a little noisy at one point.
Retiring to the bar, we again had excellent service and wanted for nothing, but the jewel in the crown was to be found at reception. I have travelled a bit over the years and I have met some really good front-of-house managers, but here I met the best. I'll even name her - "Mary" - as she is without doubt the best hotel receptionist I have ever come across. We we're meeting customers at the hotel, trying to arrange some golf and then we find that our ferry had been cancelled and needed to cancel our last night and re-locate to Dublin. Everything I asked for help with was taken on board by Mary, who then sent me away to "get on with what I needed to do" whilst she sorted it….and she did, everything, including arranging a great deal for us in Dublin, confirming bookings and table reservations and then calling me to confirm all was done.
If there is a 'Receptionist of the Year' award then I want enter this lady; she'll win hands down!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your wonderful review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read you had such a pleasant stay with us and enjoyed your experience in Spago’s our Itialian Restaurant.
We pride ourselves on our customer service. Our guest’s satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us here at the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel. I am therefore delighted with your recognition of our values and have passed along your praise to Mary, such positive feedback is great for staff morale and she was delighted with your comments.
Once again thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review. We hope to welcome you back to The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in the future.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my wife on a weekend getaway. Was really looking forward to it but we seemed to be let down on every aspect of the stay. The staff are good but untrained and a little unprofessional. They seem to be more interested in checking facebook than serving you but I'd put that down to poor supervision. The hotel is not 4 star and is an average 3 star. There are No toiletries in room but they have a soap pump unit on the wall. The rooms which are poorly decorated are ok but fairy basic more like a B and B. There were Dirty stains on the walls and the carpets need a good clean, Molly's bar in the hotel was not opened at all so we were left to sit in a bar with very little seating and no atmosphere. To the hotels credit the gym is well equipped spacious and modern. I got the feeling the hotel is being run on a shoestring budget. It's a fantastic facility just needs to be run correctly and invested in. It's budget feel ruins everything about what could be good.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Toadstools
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.
I am disappointed to read you felt let down by your recent stay with us. Here at the Portlaoise Heritage we strive to achieve high levels of customer satisfaction. We pride ourselves on our customer care so it is with great regret I find you did not experience this with us.
Use of mobile phones is not permitted during working hours so this is an issue which will be dealt with by our HR Manager following on from your disappointing comment. Training is our priority and I can assure you it is carried out regularly to ensure standards are in place. I am truly sorry we were found lacking on this occasion. If you can provide more information it would be greatly appreciated. I can be contacted on the details given below.
Regarding our bedrooms we are currently undertaking a redecorating project and hope to have it completed within the coming months. Additional toiletries required are available through our housekeeping office or at reception.
Molly’s bar now only caters for private functions, unfortunately in this economic climate it would not be justifiable to open a second outlet.
Again Thank for taking the time to post this review, your comments are very important to us. If you should decide to return to Portlaoise Heritage Hotel please do not hesitate to contact me personally.
Gemma Jordan

Travellers are raving about these Portlaoise hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
The Killeshin Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ballyfin
Roundwood House
Roundwood House
#1 of 1 in Mountrath

Been to Portlaoise Heritage Hotel? Share your experiences!