Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
“Bitter Taste”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

While there is no doubt that the Heritage is a lovely Hotel, myself and my Fiancée left our visit with a bitter taste in our mouth.

We had choses to visit the Heritage to consider it as a wedding venue, on arrival we told the receptionist that we would love to speak to someone about having our wedding at the hotel, I said it didn't need to be right away if could be later or even the next day before we left. She told us that she would have someone contact us in our room and show us around. No one contacted us, at all, in fact we ended up having to look around ourselves. This amazed me.

As part of our package we were given a late check out, and as we rarely get lie ins were we cherish the opportunity, unfortunately no one told the cleaning staff who repeatedly tried to come into the room, I would like to say I do not blame them, they were very apologetic but had clearly not been told that our room was a late check out.

Finally and most certainly not least, having to pay for parking in a hotel is just a step too far. We ate in their restaurant, we drank in their bar, had lunch in the cafe, I think we had spent enough to warrant our parking! The hotel will cover 6pm til 10am, not much when you check in in the early afternoon and checkout after lunch.

We won't be having our wedding here!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cutbymo
PortlaoiseHeritage, General Manager at Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel), responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I am extremely disappointed to read of your recent experience with us.
It is highly disappointing to learn you found us lacking on this occasion. From our many positive Reviews here on Tripadvisor I can assure you it is not a true reflection of our usually high standards of customer service. I can only apologise on behalf of myself and entire team at The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel.
I understand how important choosing your venue for this very special occasion is. Here at The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel we have a designated wedding coordinator Carol Dempsey. Should you and your fiancée like to reconsider and make contact with the hotel, I can guarantee 110 percent dedication from both Carol and myself and in fact our entire team.
I have spoken with our Front Office Manager regarding the lack of communication throughout the weekend and full training will be carried out with our team immediately.

Once again I am truly sorry for the matter as a whole. Should you wish to contact I would be delighted to deal with you personally.

Gemma Jordan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I was part of a large group (40 pax) that stayed at the Hotel in between 19 and 24 January 2014. This has been our sixth year to visit the Portlaoise with our group. Our trip this year was one of the best. The food and staff were absolute tops; the staff always welcome you with a smile and are so helpful. We menu each day was perfect and they catered for all special requirements.

Our group are very well travelled and have only the best to say about every one at the Heritage. ,A big thank you to everybody who works at the hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your wonderful review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read this year’s event was one of the best. As always it was our pleasure to have your group join us again.
Your kind words have be passed along to all members of our team.
Your valued custom is very much appreciated and I look forward to welcoming you back again to The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in the near future

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

As a surprise my partner booked a suite to celebrate a special occasion. The staff were very friendly and helpful from arrival until departure. The room was a nice size and was tastefully decorated. Really pleasant stay here would return and would recommend also very reasonably priced for a suite.

Room Tip: The price difference for a suite isn't massive would highly recommend this option
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Globetrotter201026
PortlaoiseHeritage, General Manager at Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel), responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Thank you for your lovely review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Your kind words are great for staff morale and have been passed along to all members of our team.
We are in the process of refurbishing a number of our rooms and I am delighted you found yours spacious and comfortable. Our aim is to offer our guests value for money.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in the near future

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Stayed here for work one night recently and I would hesitate to stay again. Staff were pleasant if a little bit "rabbit in the headlights" about everything. The girl on reception couldn't tell me what time the restaurant was open at, she had to ask a colleague. I would have thought that would be a quite basic thing to know! The room was ok, a bit tired looking but generally clean. Corridors were roasting hot, room was freezing! Had to get a portable heater brought up, which took an age. Went to the bar for a drink before dinner and it was quiet, the barman was friendly and chatted away about the match on the tv. Dinner in the Italian was actually better than I expected, if I visit Portlaoise again I might not stay in the hotel but I'd try here again. Had a lovely homemade, stonebaked pizza and enjoyed every bite. Service from Douglas was top notch.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your meal and our barman and Douglas offered you quality service. Your praise will be passed along to these members of staff.
On the other points, we are currently in the process of a refurbishing project throughout the hotel, which involves the redecorating of the bedrooms. We hope to have this completed in the coming months. I have brought up your issue concerning the heating with our Maintenance Manager. Our heating is centrally controlled on timers, since receiving your comment we have not altered the settings to boost further heat into the bedrooms.
I have spoken with our Front Office Manager regarding our Receptionist and full training will be carried out immediately.

Once again thank you for taking the time to post your review. We appreciate your comments. I do hope you decide to stay at The Portlaoise Heritage again.

North West
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Great size rooms but mine was stinking of cigarette smoke, this in a non smoking hotel, don't know how this was missed by cleaning staff. Generally nice, good lobby, but the whole place is a little bit grotty - scuff marks on the walls, paint peeling, etc, needs a painting & decorating. Rated as a 4* but I would say 3*.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
PortlaoiseHeritage, General Manager at Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel), responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I am disappointed to read you did not have a pleasant experience with us on this occasion. I can assure you it is not a true reflection of our high standards. We are indeed a completely non smoking hotel therefore I am very surprised by your comments as smoking in The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel is not tolerated in any of our 110 bedrooms. Each room is fitted with a smoke detector and shows on our fire panel if detected. We have a fine in place if this is not obeyed. I have spoken with our Accommodation Manager who will carry out training with staff immediately.
We are currently in the process of refurbishing many area’s of the hotel. This involves painting and redecoration of both bedroom and public areas.
Should you choose to return to The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Booked a well.needed weekend break in your hotel after a long drive down in traffic we were greeted with the news that they couldnt find our reservation we had booked a suite so after a lot of querys asking when we booked we were giving our room to arrive in it to discover it was a family room with a broken bed not a suite which we paid for . I went down to reception to tell the staff that the bed was broke the could only offer a standard room which we took to arrive in it and find it very misersble cold and not very clean. This was not what we expected for our weekend away which I orgsnised for my girlfriends birthday so we decided to leave when we were giving our keys back the receptionest decided to tell us there was a suite available after been told four times there was none at this point it was little to late

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your recent post on Tripadvisor. I am disappointed to learn you did not enjoy your recent visit to The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel. I have spoken with our Reservations and Revenue Managers regarding your booking to ascertain why it was not on the system on arrival. I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the matter as a whole.
Due to high occupancy levels there were in fact no suite rooms available on checkin. A number of our rooms are in the process of been redecorated at the moment, therefore at that time we were limited in the room choice we could offer you. We did receive a cancellation and offer it to you when it became available.
I sincerely apologise for distress caused by our shortcomings on this occasion I can assure you it is not a true reflection of the high standards we strive for here at The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel

Should you decide to return to the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel please contact me personally.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

My friend and I stayed in this hotel on New Years Eve and I have to say we were both very disappointed.

Upon arrival the first thing to greet us was a used condom on the doorstep of the hotel.

Firstly, when we made our reservation, we inquired what was on in the hotel for the night and we were told that there would be a band followed by a D.J. On the strength of this we booked it.

Upon check in we asked what time the band was starting, we were looked at blankly and to be told there was no band due to play.

The room we were given was awful, the floor was really dirty with what appeared to be broken biscuits. Awful interior, broken toilet seat, lamp shades broken, dirty carpets, marks on the walls etc.

We asked to be moved, which we were. Our one request (again upon reservation) was to have a quiet room. But the room we were given was directly above the D.J. which didn't stop until nearly 3 am so neither of us got much sleep & my friend had work the following day.

We were also disappointed with the lack of organisation & also food quality within the hotel both for breakfast and the evening previous when we had an evening meal. No one even seemed sure who was doing anything. When we asked to pay, the waiter looked at us blankly & when I said do I walk out without paying he shrugged his shoulder and said "I don't know".

Don't waste your money, stay somewhere else, completely over priced. Do not know how it achieved a four star status.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I am very disappointed to read your comments regarding your stay with us. Rest assured I appreciate all feedback both positive and negative as it gives us the opportunity to identify areas which require attention.
Our presentation and appearance are of the utmost importance to us at The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel therefore I am utterly dismayed at your comments regarding the entrance and would appreciate if you could contact the hotel to provide further details
Regarding our entertainment on New Years Eve, we originally had booked a band to play on the night however due to unforeseen circumstances the band cancelled last minute with no time to time to organize a new one given the night in question. I sincerely apologize for the distress caused by this. I hope you enjoyed our resident DJ who played until the early morning.
We are currently in the process of refurbishing many areas of the hotel. This involves painting and redecoration of both bedroom and public areas as well as recarpeting. We hope to complete this project further into the new year. I have also spoken with our Maintenance Manager concerning the other issues.
While we endeavour to facilitate all requests with the high level of occupancy it is not always possible to allocate a quiet room. New Years Eve is one of the few occasions we have festivities in our lobby area.
I am disappointed to read you did not enjoy the food, and felt the quality was not up to standard. I have brought this to the attention of our Head Chef while also speaking to our Restaurant Manager regarding the training of staff.

I would like to apologise for our shortcomings as a whole on this occasion. I can assure you it is not a true reflection of our usually high standards. Should you wish to return to The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel please do not hesitate to contact me personally to discuss the matter further

Gemma Jordan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
Maldron Hotel Portlaoise
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Abbeyleix
Clanard Court Hotel

Been to Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)

Property: Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)
Address: Jessop Street, Portlaoise, Ireland (Formerly Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)
Region: Ireland > Province of Leinster > County Laois > Portlaoise
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): £
Hotel Class:4 star — Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel) 4*
Designed to reflect style, planned with meticulous care to deliver service excellence, The Midlands Park Hotel has earned itself the reputation of being the most sought after hotel in Ireland. Nestled in the heart of Portlaoise Town, this sophisticated urban setting is perfect for business or pleasure. Its striking entrance creates an impressive sense of space and classic modern elegance. Our 115 deluxe bedrooms, incorporating executive rooms & suites offer the splendour of classic design with modern elegance and includes the latest in wireless internet technology complimentary. You will be spoiled for choice with our unique choice of Restaurants and Bars. Our White Flag Award Winning Health & Leisure Club is also available for all our guests. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, LateRooms, Ebookers and Cancelon so you can book your Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Heritage Hotel Portlaoise