Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Fantastic night in Heritage Portlaoise. We stayed one night 01/03/14. We were in the Bridal suite and from the moment we arrived we had lovely experience. Room was fantastic very clean and up to date. Staff could not be faulted. We ate in the Charter Bar and food was excellent as were the pints ha ha. Great nights sleep in room and breakfast was really nice. We would highly recommend it. Thanks again to all staff and we look forward to staying again soon.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
PortlaoiseHeritage, General Manager at Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Thank you for your wonderful review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your recent stay at The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel. It gives me great pleasure to relay your kind words to all members of our team.
Our Charter Bar is perfect for casual dining and allows our customers to enjoy their meal in a relaxed atmosphere, while enjoying a drink or watching a game.
It is wonderful to hear you enjoyed your night in our Bridal Suite, it is a truly special experience.
I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Gemma Jordan

Write a ReviewReviews (1,174)

Reviewed 24 February 2014

The best thing by an absolute mile about this hotel is Spagos restaraunt. The hotel itself is tired and in need of some updating. The rooms had no fridge, a 15 year old TV, room keys that constantly failed which meant a trip back to reception (this happened 4 times in 1 weekend). Noisy music in the bar which kept our kids awake. Jason Byrne was appearing in the hotel which meant that we could only have our meal at 5.30 in the evening or 8.45 which didnt suit because we had 2 children under the age of 5, because the restaraunt was catering to the customers attending the gig, which is no good enough really. The quality of the food in Spagos really surprised us, The decor was hardly awe inspiring but the food was amazing. I had the duck on both nights, it was the best duck I have ever tried.
The small things add up from the girl at reception telling me it was my mobile phone that was causing the key card to fail despite the fact that I wasnt carrying my phone, to the breakfast that had "run out" of eggs... I would struggle to reccomend the Heritage but I would wander into Spagos to sample their duck.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 1st floor which stank of stale smoke
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Stranded_in_kilcock
PortlaoiseHeritage, General Manager at Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your dining experience in Spagos. We pride ourselves on the quality of Food and standard of service in our Italian Bistro.
It is disappointed to learn the other aspects of your stay were not up to standard. We are currently in the process of refurbishing many areas of the hotel, which includes repainting and recarpeting. While fridges do not come as a standard in our rooms we do have a limited number available from our accommodation department which are available upon request.
I would like to sincerely apologise for the issue you had regarding the key cards. I have since spoken with our Maintenance Manager to look into the matter further. It is highly unusual for a key card to deactivate four times over the course of a weekend.
We hold a number of special events throughout the year such as the Jason Byrne concert. While I can understand your frustration not been able to get your desired time in our restaurant, we do advice booking early in order to avoid disappointment.
Once again I would like to apologise for our shortcomings on this occasion. I can assure you it is not a true reflection of our usually high standards

Reviewed 23 February 2014

This hotel came highly recommended. From our arrival at the hotel, it would appear a very nice hotel. We tried to check in and this is where our problems began. It was early so we agreed to wait until the check in time of 3pm at which time we were told there were no rooms ready as they had late checkout for the previous nights guests.We could not check in at appointed time, having to change clothes in luggage room as we were there to watch the rugby match. In the bar was chaos with only one bar open to service all guests waiting like us to check in.We ordered sandwiches from the bar menu and when we went to pay we were overcharged and had to explain the prices on the menu were ot s per our bill. We didn't get a room until near 6pm and having a meal booked in the adjoining Spago left us rushed to get ready to eat.The meal was lovely and staff in restaurant were professional and helpful. It was our first time to stay at the hotel and I doubt we would return or recommend it to any of our friends or family.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Eithne M

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I am very disappointed to learn you did not enjoy your recent stay with us at The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel.
I have spoken with our Accommodation Manager concerning the delay with checkin. I am truly sorry your room was not available to you upon arrival. I have also raised the issue concerning our bar menu and the incorrect billing with both our Bar Manager and our Food & Beverage Manager. Full training will be carried out with all our staff immediately in this area.
On a positive note I am delighted to hear your feedback for Spagos our Italian Bistro. Spagos is very popular with both resident and non residents alike. We pride ourselves on the quality of food and level of service.
I sincerely apologise you found us lacking on this occasion. I can assure you it is not a true reflection of our usually high standards.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

I would like to thank all the staff in the Portlaoise Heritage for the amazing stay we have with them this weekend. From check-in to check-out it was a 5 star experience. We dined in their Spago's Italian Restaurant on the Friday & Saturday night-food was amazing and the staff were so friendly and efficient. The Manager in particular really impressed us as he came to our table to ensure we were enjoying our meal. We didn't avail of the leisure facilities although they looked very impressive. The gentleman in the bar was so friendly and nice. We will definitely return again.

Room Tip: Definitely pay the exact for a Suite amazing room.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful review on Trip Advisor. It gives me great pleasure to read you enjoyed your stay with us at The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel.
Your very kind compliments will be passed along to all our members of Staff.
Spagos our Italian Bistro is very popular with diners and we take great pride in the quality of food and standard of service provided there.
I look forward to welcoming you back again to The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I stayed here for an overnight stay on business and must congratulate all the staff on a very professional attitude and welcome. The food in Spagos was brilliant.
I enjoyed it that much, i am taking my beloved for a weekend next month. She will love it.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
PortlaoiseHeritage, General Manager at Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Thank you for your wonderful review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your recent stay with us.
Customer satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us here at The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel so it gives me great pleasure to pass along you kind comments to our Staff.
Spagos our Italian bistro is very popular with both residents and the general public. We take great pride in the quality of our food and standard of service.
I very much look forward to welcoming you and your beloved back to The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel was a fantastic venue for a conference we held this week. Sandra and the whole team were so helpful, friendly and welcoming at all times. The room was perfectly laid out. everything I had asked for was delivered without exception. Nothing was a problem for them. I would have no problems recommending this hotel to other companies looking to hold events in the midlands. We will be back for our next event. Thanks!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your wonderful review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read your conference was successful. It was our pleasure to host your event.
Your praise will be passed along to Sandra and all members of our team. It is fantastic for staff morale to receive such positive feedback. We strive to offer quality customer service here at The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel and we look forward to working with you in the future

Reviewed 13 February 2014

My friend and I stayed her for 2 days last week and we had a wonderful stay. The staff were friendly and efficient, the rooms and facilities were excellent and the food in Spago's restaurant was fabulous - with great gluten free options! :) We really could not fault anything and we would definitely stay again. My friend was so impressed with the food that she had to pen her praise in verse, as follows:-

Supper at Spago's 7/2/14
My pen it should be dipped in gold
To tell the tale that I unfold,
Of Spago's Restaurant in Portlaoise
(The best in Ireland, yeah capice?).
But where to start - on Friday last
We had a fabulous repast.
My dear friend Ev and I did dine
On food of paradise (and wine).
I don't know which was best - the dishes
Freshly cooked and so delicious
Or the service - which you see
Made us feel like royaltee!
When one took a bite of duck,
One closed one's eyes and said.....oh my!
It melted in one's mouth forsooth
I tell you nothing but the truth.
I'd travel over oceans blue
To taste again the tiramisu.
Alas, a piece I had to leave
Which caused my greedy heart to grieve.
Of Ev's ice cream and fresh fruit salad
I could write a lengthy ballad.
And stars of this enchanting scene
Were marvelous Dougie and Colleen.
And now the last but not the least
All hail the founder of the feast.
Dear chef you should have world-wide fame,
Alas we do not know your name.
Please stay here, don’t fly afar
You rate a million Michelin Stars!
We shall return - I hope it's soon
To wield our knife and fork and spoon!
Sheila Moloney

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your wonderful review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your recent stay with us and most importantly you enjoyed you dining experience in Spagos Italian Bistro.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading you friend’s poem, without a doubt she is an exceptionally talented lady. Her poem has been printed and takes pride of place in our staff area and also framed and placed in Spago’s.
We aim to cater for our entire customer’s dietary requirements, and maintaining a high standard of customer service is essential.
I look forward to welcoming you back again to The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel.

Gemma Jordan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
The Killeshin Hotel
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Abbeyleix
Clanard Court Hotel

Been to Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)

Address: 20 Jessop Street, Portlaoise R32 DT04, Ireland (Formerly Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)
Region: Ireland > Province of Leinster > County Laois > Portlaoise
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Price Range: £61 - £135 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:4 star — Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel) 4*
Designed to reflect style, planned with meticulous care to deliver service excellence, The Midlands Park Hotel has earned itself the reputation of being the most sought after hotel in Ireland. Nestled in the heart of Portlaoise Town, this sophisticated urban setting is perfect for business or pleasure. Its striking entrance creates an impressive sense of space and classic modern elegance. Our 115 deluxe bedrooms, incorporating executive rooms & suites offer the splendour of classic design with modern elegance and includes the latest in wireless internet technology complimentary. You will be spoiled for choice with our unique choice of Restaurants and Bars. Our White Flag Award Winning Health & Leisure Club is also available for all our guests. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda, Ebookers, LateRooms, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Heritage Hotel Portlaoise