“Good location but poor staff” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Portlaoise Heritage Hotel

Portlaoise Heritage Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Limerick, Ireland
“Good location but poor staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed with kids recently and found that hotel nice warm and good value . However I felt the staff did not want kids around .games room was poor and lack of supervision in the pool area . Food downstairs in Italian was lovely but the bar doesn't t give cashback so take plenty of change.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
PortlaoiseHeritage, General Manager at Portlaoise Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent visit to us.

I was delighted to hear your positive feedback and I was naturally concerned to hear you felt the staff did not want kids around. I can assure you that the opposite is the case and my sincere apologies if it came across otherwise.

In fact we have been gearing up specific for families for the summer and we will be starting our Heritage Hero's Kids Club in July. This will be on from 5pm to 10pm daily and will be fully supervised.

We have also introduced a new lounge menu to give families another eating choice along with our Italian Spago's Restaurant which I think you enjoyed.

Hopefully we might see you back again over the summer and in the meantime, Thank you again for your feedback.

Joe O'Brien

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Polish first
Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel looks good on the outside and the lobby is nice. But oh dear, the room was drab. Old fashioned furniture and decor, a big block of an ancient Black Diamond TV (this alone would have you reaching for the valium) which wasn't even working. No wifi in the rooms even though it's 2014.
Dull as dishwater altogether. Would not come back until this place gets a major overhaul.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Hi,

Thank you for posting, it is always positive to receive feedback which helps us to continually improve our offering.

I was sorry to hear you found the room outdated. As you can imagine, in the current economic climate, it is not always possible to make improvements as quickly as we would like to but I would like to assure you that we are working our way through the improvements and making good progress. I was surprised at your comment on the wifi as we do have wifi in all rooms and I am sure we would have been able to rectify the situation with a call to reception.

I do hope you will consider staying with us again and if I can be of any assistance in that regard please do not hesitate to contact me directly at jobrien@theheritagehotel.com.

In the meantime, thank you again for your feedback.

Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel is in a very good location in the town.
The looby is very fancy and butifull but when we got to the room it was a bit desapointing but clean do.
The car park is free only for night time.
The stuff was nice but not more then that.
After all good value for the money.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
PortlaoiseHeritage, General Manager at Portlaoise Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read you were impressed with our lobby and overall found your stay good value for money.
We are currently in the process of renovating a number of our bedrooms and hope to have this project complete later in the year
Unfortunately the adjacent Carpark is a public carpark and privately owned. We do offer our residents discounted rates
I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again to The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in the future.

Tullamore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

As I did not actually stay in hotel I cannot comment on rooms. But I decided to write a review because I was in the carvery restaurant for Sunday lunch and was absolutely amazed by the quality of the food. We had a salmon dinner with herb crust and ginger, and the beef dinner. Salmon was beautifully done and veg and baby potatoes were gorgeous. The beef was so tender. Desserts were baileys cheesecake and a chocolate moose type cake absolutely delicious.Compliments to the chef.
However we found the waiter a little off. When I complimented the meal while paying he did not reply. And when I tipped his tip plate he never thanked me. My wife also complimented the beef with no reply. While this would not put us off returning I thought he could have been a little more friendly.

Cleanliness
Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read you had an enjoyable meal in our Fitzmaurice Restaurant. We strive to achieve high standards throughout the hotel and we pride ourselves on producing quality food. Your compliments have been passed along to our Head Chef Padraig and his team.
I am a little disappointed to learn our waiter did not acknowledge your kind words. I can assure you full customer service training will be carried out with all our Restaurant Staff.
I do hope to welcome The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in the near future

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

Stayed one night. Room most definitely needs updating. Old style TV. Nylon curtains discoloured with holes in. Bedding needs improving. Not 4 star. Staff very helpful and Italian bistro restaurant was excellent.

Room Tip: Not far from trains
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Michael L
Thank you for your Tripadvisor review. We appreciate you taking the time to post your comments.
I take on board your comments regarding the updating of the bedrooms and the bedding.
From other reviews you we see we are currently in the process of a refurbishment project which involves the updating of many areas within the hotel.
It gives me great pleasure to read you found our staff helpful and that you enjoyed your dining experience in Spago’s our Italian Bistro.
Once again thank you for your review. I do hope to welcome you back again to The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel.

Kind regards

Gemma Jordan

Travellers are raving about these Portlaoise hotels

Portlaoise, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

I ran a Health Wellness & Holistc Fair in the hotel on the 4th of May. I found the staff (in particular, Sandra) to be very friendly and professional. She was always on the end of the phone or was quick to email me back re any queries that I had. The Maryborough Room was perfect for our event and the staff were so efficient in setting up the room exactly as I needed it to be on the day.
Duty manager Eoin was on hand all day for anything that was needed and also regularly checked in to see how we were getting on. So a big thank you to him.
I can't recommend The Heritage Hotel enough for anyone who is looking for a venue in Co. Laois and I will absolutely be booking with them again for future Fair's.
Thank you for everything.
The Soul Sanctuary.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your very kind review on Tripadvisor. We were honoured to host your event and delighted it was such a success.
Your compliments have been passed along to Sandra and Eoin and indeed our entire team here at The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel. We Thank you most sincerely for your Business and look forward to working with you in the near future.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stayed for 2 nights over May holiday weekend , and have to say was quite disappointed with the hotel. Hotel is in bad need of updating , rooms were just ok and although our room had a double and single bed im glad i kept on good terms with herself cos if id of been banished to the single bed i would of been better sleeping on floor it was that hard.The shower was very poor also as you had to dance around to get wet.We were in room 214 which was above the smoking area and even with the windows closed was still noisey we had to wait till everyone had their last puff before it went quite.The bar area was very small any more than 15 - 20 in it you'd be left standing .Breakfast was ok but there seemed to be only one staff member on the floor ,he was doing his best to do everything so much the case i was nearly going to give him a hand.The heat in the corridors was stiffling that the short walk from the lift to the room would nearly require a shower .On the plus side though the staff were very friendly and helpful throughout and the Coffee shop "Coffee Bean " was nice with reasonable prices for very filling sandwiches.I stayed here on a discounted voucher so didn't bother complaining but after my stay i wouldn't be rushing back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I am disappointed to read you did not enjoy your recent stay with us.
We are currently in the process of a refurbishment project which involves the updating of several areas within the hotel. We hope to have this project completed later the year. I have spoken with our Accommodation and Maintenance Manager concerning the issue raised with the shower in your room and also the heat on the corridors. This will be rectified immediately.
Its gives me great pleasure to see you found our staff friendly and helpful, we place great emphasis on quality customer care. Our coffee dock provides a wide range of sandwiches and pastries and I am delighted you enjoyed it. It is very popular with both residents and locals alike.
Once again thank you for posting your comments, we take all criticism as constructive and use it to improve our service.
I do hope I have the opportunity to welcome you again at The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel

Gemma Jordan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
The Killeshin Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ballyfin
Roundwood House
Roundwood House
#1 of 1 in Mountrath

Been to Portlaoise Heritage Hotel? Share your experiences!