“Needs much improvement” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Portlaoise Heritage Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Portlaoise Heritage Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
“Needs much improvement”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

First time staying here so I was positive as looks like a lovely hotel.
I'll start with good things:
Staff very helpfull and friendly.
Easy parking
Breakfast good
Location great.
After that it goes downhill.
I always look forward to a nice room so I was very disappointed .
Rooms are B & B standard.
Very basic , old large TV etc
No toiletries in bathroom, they have one soap which is on the wall so if you want a bath you have stand up and get some !
Bathroom not great , there was dirt marks all over shower curtin , bathroom needs a total refurnished .
Rooms are bear essentials , tea coffee really old and not much range.
Rooms do not match the quality of this hotel and as this is a main thing I would not return, definitely wouldn't recommend or come back.
Given the quality of other Hotels in Laois I wouldn't stay here . It could be the room I had that was dirty but I can only review that.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
PortlaoiseHeritage, General Manager at Portlaoise Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay with us.

Thank you also for your kind comments on the aspects of your stay which you found satisfactory. However I was concerned to read the issues you felt were below standard. I would be delighted to deal with you directly on this and to this end please do not hesitate to email me on jobrien@theehritagehotel.com.

In the meantime my apologies for this shortfall and hopefully you will consider returning to stay with us when we would welcome the opportunity to restore your confidence in our hotel.

Kind Regards
Joe O'Brien

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Fantastic hotel and staff. Held a weekend conference in the Portlaoise Heritage and could not fault anything throughout the weekend. Everything was great food, rooms, conference facilities, location and of course the staff. Highly recommend!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MartyOP
Hi ,

I was delighted to read your very positive comments following your visit to us for your weekend conference. Thank you for taking the time to post your kind comments which I have circulated to all staff.

Hopefully we will see you back at the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in the near future for a conference or in a private capacity for a short break.

In the meantime, thank you again for your review.

Kind Regards

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

My husband and I recently stayed here for a 1 night getaway and was very disappointed. On our arrival we asked how the car park was operated for guests and were told that you had to pay before 6 ( 6 evening till 10 next morning was free) the receptionist then gave us a ticket and told us that ticket would do us from 6-10 I Then asked did we have to leave the car park at 6 and then come back in I was told yes( which was wrong information as the ticked explains you put both tickets in the machine) when we reached our room I thought it was very old fashioned( decor tv etc) I asked my husband to open the window which he informed me was already open ( it only opened a couple of inches as our room lead out onto the roof and also our view was a brick wall) we decided to go for a swim and rang reception to see if we need to bring towels with us her reply was short and sharp ( towels provided at pool) and hung up. The kettle in our room didn't work so when we went for dinner we told reception (never got fixed) had food in charter bar (not great) our meals on the menu stated came with chips yet the waiter said I better write it down just incase they don't give you chips? I would give the breakfast the next morning a miss (horrible) I asked for scrambled eggs and when I got them it looked disgusting so decided not to eat so we checked out early, I told the receptionist about the kettle and her reply was ill get maintenance to fix it ( bit late now) and when we left I then noticed that we had been charged for our chips from our meals the previous night! My overall view of this hotel is NEVER AGAIN will I stay there.

• Stayed June 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
PortlaoiseHeritage, General Manager at Portlaoise Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Hi,

I am naturally very concerned to hear of the aspects of your stay which you found unsatisfactory. May I apologise most sincerely for this and assure you this is not the standard we strive to achieve at The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel.
Rather than going into excessive detail online, I would very much welcome the opportunity of dealing with these issues personally with you and to that end I would be delighted if you would email me directly on jobrien@theheritagehotel.com and I will respond without delay.
In the meantime, Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you.

Joe O'Brien

Travellers are raving about these Portlaoise hotels

Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

The Heritage is centrally located and the staff are very friendly and efficient. The one exception is the breakfast however. The breakfast room seems to be run haphazardly. The food is not the quality you would expect and service is slow. The rooms are dated with a low comfort level and in need of an upgrade. Old crt tvs with a square screen . . in this day and age . . Help! The hotel is warm but the rooms are cold. The Manager in his replies repeats that areas of the hotel are being upgraded. In my opinion bedrooms are THE most important part of a hotel!
Overall I would rate the hotel as adequate.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank pxil
Hi,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I take on board your comments on breakfast and the decor of the bedrooms and I apologise if you found these unsatisfactory.

We are currently in the process of upgrading our breakfast offering with a particular focus on the food quality and the service. We expect to have this process complete in two weeks and I am sure you will see a significant improvement.

I would agree that rooms are key to a comfortable stay and we are indeed working our way through these and making what improvements we can but admittedly this may not be as quickly as we would like given the current economic climate.

I do hope you will consider visiting us again and I am sure that over time you will see improvement.

In the meantime, Thank you again for your review.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Just got back from a 4 night stay during the Rose of Tralee Regional Festival. I've been to Ireland many times, but never to Portlaoise. I was not disappointed.

Great location, with just a short walk into town. The room was standard, clean and functional. Could be more modernized, but this is understandable with the economy and all. The food (ate mostly in the lounge/pub) was delicious. Just what I needed.

The accommodations for the Rose Selection were perfect. Kudos to Eoin and the staff for having the room turned around so fast for the disco!

Looking forward to returning next year!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Hi,

I am delighted to receive your very positive feedback on your stay during The Rose of Tralee Festival weekend.

Thank you for your very kind comments which I have passed on to all members of staff. The whole weekend of The Regional Finals of The Rose of Tralee was a tremendous success and the atmosphere around the hotel was fantastic.

It was particularly nice to get positive feedback on our lounge menu as we have just started this offering and it is good to know we are heading in the right direction.

We look forward to seeing you again next year and in the meantime, thank you again.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Great stay here. 3 couple' stayed and we were well looked after.

Only small bar in the hotel open over the 2 nights but there was plenty to do down in the town.

Would stay here again without question.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andy M
Hi,

Thank you kindly for your feedback following your stay with us at The Portlaoise Heritage Hotel.

I was delighted to hear that you were well looked after and that you would stay with us again on a future visit.

It is always good to receive positive feedback and I hope it will not be too long before we have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

In the meantime Thank you again for your posting.

Ballyhaunis, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here with my daughter. Room wasn't ready when I arrived but the staff couldn't be more apologetic and assured me it would be ready in 1/2 and hour, which it was. Room fine, yes a little bit dated but very clean. Had usual stuff in room from tv, hairdryer, iron, etc and also wifi. I'd booked a babysitter via the hotel and she was fabulous. The only gripe I have is the poor menu in the bar, its doesn't change very often (I know as I've stayed a couple of times before) and really could do with updating - the food was fine but poor selection. Fabulous leisure centre with fabulous staff down there. Great value for money and would not hesitate to stay again though next time will look at the restaurant menu as would probably be better.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank SilieD
Hi,

It was good to receive your very positive response in your posting on the hotel.

I was delighted to hear that overall you found your stay enjoyable and found it to be good value.

With regard to our bar food menu, I am happy to say that we introduced a new and much more extensive menu with a good selection of snacks, starters, main courses, desserts and teas/coffees at the end of May. You must have just missed it!

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future and I hope you enjoy the new menu.

Joe O'Brien

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
The Killeshin Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ballyfin
Roundwood House
Roundwood House
#1 of 1 in Mountrath

Been to Portlaoise Heritage Hotel? Share your experiences!