Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Great hotel, very clean, excellent food, room cleaned every day fresh towels left, staff on reception are excellent and very quick to help you which is a bonus, the location is perfect the town centre is on your doorstep we food a lovely Indian restaurant which did a early bird for 20 euros pp, if you have the car is a great place to explore the area, will be back to this hotel again in the future.

Room Tip: Any room is lovely but I always think the highest floor is the best.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
PortlaoiseHeritage, General Manager at Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Hi,

Thank you for your very kind comments on our hotel after your recent visit to us.It is always nice to receive positive feedback and I will pass on your comments to our staff.

I hope we will get the opportunty to welcome you back in the near future.

In the meantime thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We booked into the Heritage Portlaoise for one night BB with other family members. We had attended a family function in nearby Portarlington, therefore our check-ins were late. Myself and my wife arrived about 5.30pm and to our surprise the lobby was packed with wedding guests. Even though reception remained busy, one of the three receptionists was checking us in within minutes.
I had requested on-line a room on a low floor and they had duly obliged. Our first floor room was spotless, relaxing and over the main entrance. The room facilities included tea/coffee maker, iron and board, hair-drier, TV and radio, ample wardrobe space and bath and shower. The double bed was very comfortable.
As a group, we arranged to meet in the large lounge whereupon we ordered meals that were surprisingly reasonably priced for a 4 star hotel. After our ‘night-on-the-town’, we all returned to the lounge for night/early morning caps, so to speak. The wedding guests arrived to the lounge, which made for a good old-fashioned craic. We lasted till 4am.; others a bit longer.
A buffet breakfast was available, and even though the hotel was full, we were directed to a table for two. We had full Irish and toast and served coffee/tea by a waitress.
Everything about this hotel is first class; reception, rooms, lounge and restaurant. I cannot praise management enough for employing excellent staff in all departments. They remained polite and pleasant throughout our stay. We will most definitely return because of the closeness to the train station and recommend the hotel to others. Our next visit will hopefully be longer giving us the opportunity to use the leisure center.

Room Tip: Stay on 1st floor over the entrance
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Hi,

It was great to receive such comprehensive and detailed positive feedback. Thank you very much for that.

We were delighted to hear that you were happy with all aspects of the hotel, the service and the staff.

We are also delighted to hear that you will return and hopefully it will not be too long before we see you .

In the meantime, thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Spent the last few days in the Portlaoise Heritage. Hotel and must say my wife and I really
enjoyed it. Our room was spacious and well ventilated which was great for a comfortable sleep. It also had free wifi in all rooms.
The food for breakfast and dinner was beautiful and with plenty to choose from.
Congratulations to all the staff who were very competent and extremely friendly. A special mention
of Patricia in reception who made us very welcome, even the General Manager had time to have a chat when we met at the desk.
We would recommend this hotel to all as it's situated in the middle of the town which makes it easy for shopping and having a stroll. Free car parking within 50 metres of the hotel.
We will return

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank keaty6
PortlaoiseHeritage, General Manager at Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Hi,

It was a pleasure to read your very kind comments on our hotel and indeed it was lovely to talk to you during your stay.

It was great to hear that you enjoyed the whole experience and I will be sure to pass on your feedback to our staff.

Hopefully you will have the opportunity to visit us again soon and in the meantime thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my partner for 2 nights in June .The reception and all down stairs is beautiful in this hotel , there is a nice atmosphere however as said on here a lot the rooms needed to be updated. We upgrade to a mini suite and I assumed that these rooms would be different to the standard room. Considering your paying extra I assumed that even In the current economic climate that the hotel could afford to update these rooms even ? We ate in the hotel bar the first night and the food was terrible, I had ordered a chicken fillet in a bap.. The chicken was obviously reheated and tough my partner ordered steak and this to was tough and fatty, the chips were half raw, we did not complain at the time as we were tired and hungry and also were not asked if everything was ok. The 2nd night we ate in the Italian restaurant which is in the hotel. and this was fantastic. This hotel has pros and cons.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Louise W

Hi

Thank you for posting your review of your stay with us in June. Thank you also for your positive comments on the aspects of your stay which you enjoyed.

I take on board your feedback on the updating of the rooms and the meal which you found unsatisfactory.

I would be happy to discuss these with you directly if you would like to contact me on jobrien@theheritagehotel.com.

Hopefully we will be in contact soon and also that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

stayed last night with my husband and two children, when we arrived reception could not find our booking but once i supplied booking ref number it was no problem, and for this slight problem, we were given two vouchers for 2 glasses of wine, had a lovely stay, have stayed here several times and was sad to see that the fountry restaurant and mollys bar have closed, the website should be changed to reflect these changes as i loved going to both

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Hi,

Thank you for giving us your feedback after your most recent of several stays.

I was delighted to hear that everything was satisfactory and we look forward to seeing you back again in the near future.
Thank you also for your comment on the website, we have now updated this information.

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel on a whim as everywhere in nearby Tullamore was fully booked. Enjoyed my stay, the rooms were comfy with nice beds and a good hot shower. Only gripe I'd have with the room is the tiny tv, it was a throwback to the 90s (or 80s?).
Other than that, everything was very pleasant. The staff are very friendly and the town of Portlaoise itself has some great restaurants and pubs.
I don't agree with the recent poor reviews this hotel has received, I guess some people will find fault with the tiniest little things and they just love complaining!
I'd recommend this hotel.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank RonanMcGrath79

HI

It was very good of you tp post your kind comments on the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel following your stay recently.

It is always nice to receive positive feedback and it is satisfying for our team. Hopefully in the not too distant future we will have the opportunity to start a replacement programme for the tv's.

I hope we will see you soon with your friends and thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

First time staying here so I was positive as looks like a lovely hotel.
I'll start with good things:
Staff very helpfull and friendly.
Easy parking
Breakfast good
Location great.
After that it goes downhill.
I always look forward to a nice room so I was very disappointed .
Rooms are B & B standard.
Very basic , old large TV etc
No toiletries in bathroom, they have one soap which is on the wall so if you want a bath you have stand up and get some !
Bathroom not great , there was dirt marks all over shower curtin , bathroom needs a total refurnished .
Rooms are bear essentials , tea coffee really old and not much range.
Rooms do not match the quality of this hotel and as this is a main thing I would not return, definitely wouldn't recommend or come back.
Given the quality of other Hotels in Laois I wouldn't stay here . It could be the room I had that was dirty but I can only review that.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay with us.

Thank you also for your kind comments on the aspects of your stay which you found satisfactory. However I was concerned to read the issues you felt were below standard. I would be delighted to deal with you directly on this and to this end please do not hesitate to email me on jobrien@theehritagehotel.com.

In the meantime my apologies for this shortfall and hopefully you will consider returning to stay with us when we would welcome the opportunity to restore your confidence in our hotel.

Joe O'Brien

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
The Killeshin Hotel
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Abbeyleix
Clanard Court Hotel

Been to Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)

Address: Jessop Street, Portlaoise, Ireland (Formerly Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)
Region: Ireland > Province of Leinster > County Laois > Portlaoise
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Price Range: £55 - £132 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:4 star — Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel) 4*
Designed to reflect style, planned with meticulous care to deliver service excellence, The Midlands Park Hotel has earned itself the reputation of being the most sought after hotel in Ireland. Nestled in the heart of Portlaoise Town, this sophisticated urban setting is perfect for business or pleasure. Its striking entrance creates an impressive sense of space and classic modern elegance. Our 115 deluxe bedrooms, incorporating executive rooms & suites offer the splendour of classic design with modern elegance and includes the latest in wireless internet technology complimentary. You will be spoiled for choice with our unique choice of Restaurants and Bars. Our White Flag Award Winning Health & Leisure Club is also available for all our guests. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, LateRooms, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Heritage Hotel Portlaoise