“Fawlty Towers - This hotel would give them a run for their money!”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Kildare
“Fawlty Towers - This hotel would give them a run for their money!”
Reviewed 24 February 2010

We stayed in this Hotel for a concert over the Christmas period, and it was the worst stay I have ever had in a Hotel - it should not be rated as a 4 star hotel. When we arrived the girl at the desk gave us our key whilst she was talking away on the phone, gave us no information on the hotel or even directions to our room. We then found our room, we had booked a suite as it was Christmas, when we walked in we may as well have walked into a Freezer, the room was very shabby and not in any way like advertised on their website, I could not even take my coat off, the bed had fallen down on one side. I rang reception to say that the heating was not on and she said she would see to it, we waited two hours and still had no heat so I rang again, to be told they had a problem with their heating, so I asked to be moved to another room, thinking if we were in maybe a smaller room it would feel warmer, so we were moved to a standard room, which was very basic, however still no heat, I rang down again and they said they were still trying to fix the heating, I asked to speak to the Manager, he said he would try to sort something out, so while we were waiting we ordered room service as we needed to get ready to go out to the concert, this arrived at the same time as the Manager, he brought along a plug in electric heater, he plugged it in and sparks everywhere! I don't think even Basil Fawlty could compete with him!
Our Food was cold by the time we could eat it, the Manager then came back with another heater which worked.
I have to say it ruined our night.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BVKildare
HeritageHotel, Sales & Marketing Manager at Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel), responded to this review, 11 March 2010
Dear BVKildare,

On behalf of the management and staff of the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and share your experience with others.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused due to the problem with the heating system but this has since been rectified.

If you would like to discuss the matter further please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in the near future.

Kind regards,

Helena O'Brien
Sales & Marketing Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Polish first
kildare
Reviewed 17 February 2010

well i wouldnt call the hotel a four star it just lacked things like the bars not open during the day it was no problem to get a drink in the lobby area but we wanted a pub athmosphere pool was great for the kids we also had my parents with us aged 80 and 72 and the staff couldnt do enough for them us or the kids the coffee bean had only one girl on a really friendly girl but run of her feet went to the spa to inquire about a few treatments by the way it is not a spa as i know it its just a row of rooms a girl finally arrived but said she was in the middle of a treatment and could she contact us later she never did again she was the only staff member on the rooms were very dated and very small for 4 of us spagos and kellys were nice staff amazing so if you dont set your sights too high and want to go away with the kids for a few nights break at bargain prices with friendly smiley staff then i would say go and enjoy

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
Donegal
Reviewed 13 February 2010

Stayed at the hotel the weekend that Keith Barry was in the hotel, what a fantastic show and the hotel and staff are excellent! Breakfast was busy both mornings but the hotel was full so that is to be expected. We ate in the steak house the first night, I highly recommend the steak on the hot rock and on the second night we ate in the hotels Italian restaurant, pizza is just delicious!
The staff at the hotel are all so nice, really helpful and friendly. The bedroom was nice and the leisure centre is definately one of the best in Ireland.
Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone business or pleasure.

dublin ireland
Reviewed 12 February 2010

went for weekend to heritage for fun and concert.....tommy fleming....he was brilliant....hotel was not...............long queue to book in.....little like ryanair desk......2 or 3 staff members walking around but did not look up......well done lads, if they saw queue forming might have been good idea to offr to help................no heat in room when we got there......silly key pad failed to work 3 times during short stay.............dining area at night across the road in the cold air and restaurant was like a fridge with winds getting in everywhere....food good but soo uncomfortable......sort it out lads...................breakfast a bit crazy....hotel full but not enough staff on......reception area is cold with cold winds racing tro the place.......need to talk to few architects.........found health club area eventually......not enough signs......maybe they want to keep it secret?????......a lot more efffort required and more willing staff.....or i will not be back......room was nice....

1 Thank tomhannon
dublin
Reviewed 7 February 2010

On arrival at the hotel first impresion is very good. Looks great outside and reception. Staff are very friendly and helpful. The room itself could do with been updated. When entering the room the heat nearly knocked us out. There is no air conditioning so it took hours to cool down the room with the window which only opens about one inch. The bed was uncomfortable, pillows were like pancakes and hard, the bed covers consisted of a old fashioned style blanket and sheet. Rooms badly need to be sound proofed. We could hear the people next door breathing! Everytime they flushed their toilet we heard it as if it was in our room. The bathroom itself was spotless but the shower outdated. The toilet paper was the roughest I have ever used. We ate in Kellys Grill House, I had steak which was alright at best, my wife had cajun blackened chicken. This was a plain roast breast of chicken sprinkled with somthing but was certainly not cajun. The chips that accompained the meal were only half cooked. Overall we were dissappointed with both our stay and especially the restuarant.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gizmodublin
ireland
Reviewed 16 January 2010

excellent hotel very central highly recommended relaxed atmosphere large rooms

Dublin
Reviewed 7 January 2010

I recently spent one night at the hotel due to attending a wedding at the venue. At €130 for bed & breakfast, it seemed a little overpriced for these recessionary times. However, it suited us to stay given the poor weather conditions over the Christmas period.
We checked-in in the late afternoon & were greeted by a friendly receptionist. We arrived into our room to a strong spell of smoke. I rang reception & explained & she promptly arranged a change of room. However, given that the room was a no smoking room it seemed poor on behalf of room service to leave the room with such a strong smell.
I also noted a lot of the common areas around lifts etc were extremely grubby. And with vending machines on stools in these areas I wonders if I were in a hostel or a hotel.
Onto the hotel bar for some pre wedding drinks – there was a large number of people in on account of the wedding & people enjoying Christmas breaks – yet there didn’t seem to be any extra staff to clear tables etc so we were left with a table piling very quickly with glasses & bottles (there was a large group).
The wedding reception itself was fine – although the area outside the ballroom was freezing to say the least. Thankfully I was not anywhere near the door. However, it meant every time you had to use the facilities you were out in Baltic conditions.
One main thing that did surprise me was the service. I had red wine poured into my white wine glass. Refills were poured far too close to the top of the glass. No everyone at the table was approached for refills or tea/coffee pouring. Again not the standard one would expect in a 4 * hotel.
The toilets closest to the reception were in such poor condition for a 4 * hotel, I was very surprised. Locks missing off doors & replacement locks badly fitted. It surprised me to see that this same comment was made in a review in Sept & the situation is still the same.
We had to queue for the breakfast room the following morning – not due to lack of space. There was either not enough staff or the staff that were on were not properly trained to deal with the numbers in an efficient manner.
All in all I would have been very disappointed if I have booked into the hotel for a stay as a treat. I t certainly is not adhering to what I would consider to be a 4* hotel standards & yet is still charging the prices.
What makes a good hotel good are the details & the details were missed by a long shot!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alex82Dublin
HeritageHotel, Sales & Marketing Manager at Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel), responded to this review, 11 January 2010
Dear Guest,

I appreciate you taking the time to post your comments and for your remarks. I was disappointed to read of your unsatisfactory stay and I would like to apologise for the shortcomings in service you experienced.

I can assure you we have addressed the service issues you have raised and would like to thank you for your feedback.

Regarding the rate of €130.00 Bed & Full Irish Breakfast for two persons sharing, it is the hotels wedding rate, the hotel was full for New Year's Eve 2 months in advance of the date.

Please accept our apologies for your non-smoking room having a smoke odour. Accommodation staff work very hard to eliminate the smoke odour, the hotel does have smoking-rooms but unfortunately we can not prevented guests smoking in non-smoking rooms.

I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience further with you, please feel free to contact me.

I do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in the near future.

Kind regards,

Helena O'Brien
Sales & Marketing Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
The Killeshin Hotel
#4 of 4 in Portlaoise
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Abbeyleix

Been to Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)

Property: Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)
Address: Jessop Street, Portlaoise, Ireland (Formerly Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)
Region: Ireland > Province of Leinster > County Laois > Portlaoise
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): £
Hotel Class:4 star — Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel) 4*
Designed to reflect style, planned with meticulous care to deliver service excellence, The Midlands Park Hotel has earned itself the reputation of being the most sought after hotel in Ireland. Nestled in the heart of Portlaoise Town, this sophisticated urban setting is perfect for business or pleasure. Its striking entrance creates an impressive sense of space and classic modern elegance. Our 115 deluxe bedrooms, incorporating executive rooms & suites offer the splendour of classic design with modern elegance and includes the latest in wireless internet technology complimentary. You will be spoiled for choice with our unique choice of Restaurants and Bars. Our White Flag Award Winning Health & Leisure Club is also available for all our guests. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Odigeo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Heritage Hotel Portlaoise