Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre
O'Loughlin's Hotel(Portlaoise)
Roundwood House(Mountrath)
  • Restaurant
1,232 results
All reviewsportlaoise heritageheritage hotelsteakkids clublovely hotelnight breakleisure facilitiesfrom start to finishstaff were lovelybar foodboth nightswould highly recommend this hotelfood was lovelysecond to nonea lovely staytop classportlaoise town
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 April 2010

Stayed in this hotel last weekend with my partner and two small children. We had seen a good offer for a room rate online for only 89 euro but only for two persons so I rang to see what the rate would be for a family. The lady on the phone was very friendly and explained that as the children were under four they could share in our room free of charge. It meant a camp bed for the older boy but this was a treat for him. When we were checking in the receptionist gave the kids a little colouring pack each - a nice little touch and this came in handy to keep them occupied later while we had a drink in the lobby. The staff were all very friendly and paid as much attention to our children as to us, which was a nice touch. The hotel was busy and it has two restaurants that also have their own entrances on the street so there was a lot of locals too. We ate at the hotel both evenings - the first night was the Italian, lovely food and very relaxed, casual feel. The next night we ate in the grillhouse and it was a real experience - we ordered the hot rock steaks and the kids were thrilled to see the dinner cooking in front to them at the table! There is a great leisure centre, very clean and the kiddies pool went down a treat. They also have a beauty salon - hopefully on our next visit I will get a chance to use it! In all a very family friendly hotel and right in the town centre so easy to get to everything. The staff could not have been more helpful and we would definitely recommend it to all our friends.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 April 2010

We booked the Heritage in Portlaoise for our five year anniversary as my parents gave us a voucher for a weekend away there. Having read reviews here, my expectations were very low! It wasn't horredous or anything, but we certainly won't be rushing back! You can see from the pictures that the hotel room was by no means 4-star standard. No valance sheet (still in shock over that) and a bally old blanket. The sheets, to be fair, were clean. The bathroom was fine too - not too snazzy, but certainly clean, as were all the towels, so no complaint there.

The staff at the hotel were all quite nice, although we found it funny that there was one man in particular who was working at reception when we were checking in, served me at the bar later on (although he asked me if sauvignon blanc was white wine!!) and made our toast for us at breakfast! And I did arrive back from the gym at one stage to find a conference going on outside my room between the cleaners, trying to figure out who was going to clean my room. I politely waited for them to finish their argument, as I couldnt get to the door!

Ventured to the spa also, which was nice, although when you walk in from the hotel entrance (ie. not the street entrance) you land right on top of people receiving nail treatments and foot spas! My masseuse mysteriously kept leaving and returning during the massage too. Maybe it's a new technique I've never heard of? All a bit bizarre. The gym was great though.

The food at the hotel's two restaurants was quite nice, nothing to write home about. Maybe we are completely spoiled in that we have eaten in such lovely restaurants and stayed in such lovely hotels, that are standards are too high! But I have to say, there are far better deals to be had in much much nicer hotels around Ireland, so I would not recommend splurging on the Heritage.

Granted, we didnt make any complaints during our stay as we felt a bit strange doing so as the weekend away had been a gift from my parents, and we wanted to celebrate our anniversary without having to battle it out with the staff over a valance sheet! Like I said, the staff were pretty pleasant for the most part, the food was nice enough and the sheets were clean! But attention to detail is important so the rooms need some serious work.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2010

My name is Lisa Gilroy and I stayed in The Heritage Hotel 13th and 14th Feb 2010. I found the hotel to be very clean, there was a beautiful selection of food for every taste with its many restaurants, especially the Italian restaurant Spago's. The Supervisor was from Dublin he is a very fine waiter and had control over the whole place with a very big smile on his face. The leisure area had all the mod cons and my partner Brian and I really enjoyed it and found it to be very relaxing. The staff in the hotel were extremely friendly and were there for our every need. Excellent Customer Service. We recommend it highly and will definately be back in the future Regards Lisa.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
HeritageHotel, Sales & Marketing Manager at Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2010

Dear Ms Gilroy,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor.

I was delighted to hear that you and your partber had an enjoyable stay with us.

I have passed your kind comments onto the team here in the hotel.

I do hope that I will have the opportunity of welcoming you both back to the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 3 March 2010

There is no fault that myself and my boyfriend got the best deal for this hotel. it cost us 100euro for 2 people for 2 nights (fri-sun) although breakfast was not included but we didnt mind as we got such a good deal, although if you wanted to eat breakfast in the hotel it was like 12euro per serson which is very expensive.

As a beauty therapist myself i was not impressed what so ever with the treatments i recieved in the spa. I booked in for 2 hour treatments (full body massage, microdermabrasion facial) but only recieved treatments for 1hr 20 mins also the massage was only half heartily done as she only massaged i feel the areas she was bothered with... didnt touch my feet, hands, chest, scalp!!! SO DISAPPOINTED as was really looking forward to this part of the weekend!!!!!

The leisure centre is gorgus.... we used this three times during our stay which is free of charge if staying in the hotel.

We eat in the italian restaurant in the hotel which i would highly recommend. They serve very large portions so no need to ask for more...!!! :)

The receptionist was not pleasant at all when both checking in and checking out....

overall would stay again.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear becawalsh,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

We have spoken already about your experience of Ealu Theraphy Medi Spa for which the Spa Manager has responded to your concerns.

I would like to thank you for your positive feedback regarding your stay in the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel and I have passed your comments to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you and your partner back to the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 24 February 2010

The staff here made my visit an absolute pleasure!! the front desk staff, the bar staff, the breakfast room staff and the cleaning staff, were all exceptionally nice. the room was nice too pretty basic but very nice .. comfy bed!!! great bar and we ate in the grill house and it was Delicious!!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear lauzD,

On behalf of the management and staff of the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and share your experience with others.

I am delighted to see that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful. We take great pride in the quality of our service in the hotel and take great pleasure in reading comments like this. I have passed your comments to the hotel team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in the near future.