“Clean, luxurious and kinda friendly” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Portlaoise Heritage Hotel

Portlaoise Heritage Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Dublin
“Clean, luxurious and kinda friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2010

I stayed here for two nights as part of a wedding party. The weekend was also busy in the hotel with the preliiminary round of the rose of Tralee festival. Firstly, without actually checking how to get to it I was able to find the hotel with the excellent signs throughout Portlaoise. There was secure and free parking beside the hotel. Check in was painless although I did ask did I need to book and pay for breakfast which I was told 'No that's taken care of'. The room was big, clean and had everything you would need for a short stay. Only thing that didn't work was the room safe. The maintenance guy came up and couldn't fix it...I assured him it didn't matter anyway.
I went for breakfast and after been told it was 'taken care' of I was quite surprised when I was told I was down for room only. This annoyed me as I didn't mind paying extra for breakfast. The breakfast was open buffet but I was never served coffee. I was actually finished eating and had to go up and ask where I could get coffee before someone actually came down..this also happened on the second day.
All in all a pleasant stay and I would stay here again. My only complaint was sometimes the staff at reception seemed very cold. Not rude but not friendly. Staff at the bar/cafe and service/maintenance staff were very friendly(actually the most friendly I've ever encountered) so it was unusual that there was this lack of warmt at reception...which kinda sets the tone of your stay as it's this first impression that lasts to most guests.
Bar staff were excellent and very friendly.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2010

Both in the lead-up to our bienniel weekend event, and over the weekend that it took place, the management and staff ensured that all of our concerns and requests were met. Service was excellent, from the top down, all staff were extremely friendly and polite and obliging. The conference facilities were comfortable, roomy and appropriately attractive for our 40th Anniversary. The location was very popular with our attendees, in relation to transport by car and by train. Everything we needed was on site, from business to pleasure. Our particular needs as a coeliac conference were taken care of without any gripes or difficulties. We were extremely satisfied and would consider returning.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2010

All staff were excellent and couldn't do enough for me and my family, all food was also excellent and catered for anyone with gluten free diet...
Would highly recommend and will visit again in the near future

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Kildare, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2010

Stayed in this hotel last weekend with my partner and two small children. We had seen a good offer for a room rate online for only 89 euro but only for two persons so I rang to see what the rate would be for a family. The lady on the phone was very friendly and explained that as the children were under four they could share in our room free of charge. It meant a camp bed for the older boy but this was a treat for him. When we were checking in the receptionist gave the kids a little colouring pack each - a nice little touch and this came in handy to keep them occupied later while we had a drink in the lobby. The staff were all very friendly and paid as much attention to our children as to us, which was a nice touch. The hotel was busy and it has two restaurants that also have their own entrances on the street so there was a lot of locals too. We ate at the hotel both evenings - the first night was the Italian, lovely food and very relaxed, casual feel. The next night we ate in the grillhouse and it was a real experience - we ordered the hot rock steaks and the kids were thrilled to see the dinner cooking in front to them at the table! There is a great leisure centre, very clean and the kiddies pool went down a treat. They also have a beauty salon - hopefully on our next visit I will get a chance to use it! In all a very family friendly hotel and right in the town centre so easy to get to everything. The staff could not have been more helpful and we would definitely recommend it to all our friends.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2010

We booked the Heritage in Portlaoise for our five year anniversary as my parents gave us a voucher for a weekend away there. Having read reviews here, my expectations were very low! It wasn't horredous or anything, but we certainly won't be rushing back! You can see from the pictures that the hotel room was by no means 4-star standard. No valance sheet (still in shock over that) and a bally old blanket. The sheets, to be fair, were clean. The bathroom was fine too - not too snazzy, but certainly clean, as were all the towels, so no complaint there.

The staff at the hotel were all quite nice, although we found it funny that there was one man in particular who was working at reception when we were checking in, served me at the bar later on (although he asked me if sauvignon blanc was white wine!!) and made our toast for us at breakfast! And I did arrive back from the gym at one stage to find a conference going on outside my room between the cleaners, trying to figure out who was going to clean my room. I politely waited for them to finish their argument, as I couldnt get to the door!

Ventured to the spa also, which was nice, although when you walk in from the hotel entrance (ie. not the street entrance) you land right on top of people receiving nail treatments and foot spas! My masseuse mysteriously kept leaving and returning during the massage too. Maybe it's a new technique I've never heard of? All a bit bizarre. The gym was great though.

The food at the hotel's two restaurants was quite nice, nothing to write home about. Maybe we are completely spoiled in that we have eaten in such lovely restaurants and stayed in such lovely hotels, that are standards are too high! But I have to say, there are far better deals to be had in much much nicer hotels around Ireland, so I would not recommend splurging on the Heritage.

Granted, we didnt make any complaints during our stay as we felt a bit strange doing so as the weekend away had been a gift from my parents, and we wanted to celebrate our anniversary without having to battle it out with the staff over a valance sheet! Like I said, the staff were pretty pleasant for the most part, the food was nice enough and the sheets were clean! But attention to detail is important so the rooms need some serious work.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2010

My name is Lisa Gilroy and I stayed in The Heritage Hotel 13th and 14th Feb 2010. I found the hotel to be very clean, there was a beautiful selection of food for every taste with its many restaurants, especially the Italian restaurant Spago's. The Supervisor was from Dublin he is a very fine waiter and had control over the whole place with a very big smile on his face. The leisure area had all the mod cons and my partner Brian and I really enjoyed it and found it to be very relaxing. The staff in the hotel were extremely friendly and were there for our every need. Excellent Customer Service. We recommend it highly and will definately be back in the future Regards Lisa.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HeritageHotel, Sales & Marketing Manager at Portlaoise Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2010
Dear Ms Gilroy,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor.

I was delighted to hear that you and your partber had an enjoyable stay with us.

I have passed your kind comments onto the team here in the hotel.

I do hope that I will have the opportunity of welcoming you both back to the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in the near future.

Kind regards,

Helena O'Brien
Sales & Marketing Manager
Wexford, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2010

There is no fault that myself and my boyfriend got the best deal for this hotel. it cost us 100euro for 2 people for 2 nights (fri-sun) although breakfast was not included but we didnt mind as we got such a good deal, although if you wanted to eat breakfast in the hotel it was like 12euro per serson which is very expensive.

As a beauty therapist myself i was not impressed what so ever with the treatments i recieved in the spa. I booked in for 2 hour treatments (full body massage, microdermabrasion facial) but only recieved treatments for 1hr 20 mins also the massage was only half heartily done as she only massaged i feel the areas she was bothered with... didnt touch my feet, hands, chest, scalp!!! SO DISAPPOINTED as was really looking forward to this part of the weekend!!!!!

The leisure centre is gorgus.... we used this three times during our stay which is free of charge if staying in the hotel.

We eat in the italian restaurant in the hotel which i would highly recommend. They serve very large portions so no need to ask for more...!!! :)

The receptionist was not pleasant at all when both checking in and checking out....

overall would stay again.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear becawalsh,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

We have spoken already about your experience of Ealu Theraphy Medi Spa for which the Spa Manager has responded to your concerns.

I would like to thank you for your positive feedback regarding your stay in the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel and I have passed your comments to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you and your partner back to the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in the near future.

Kind regards,

Helena O'Brien
Sales & Marketing Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
The Killeshin Hotel
#1 of 1 in Mountrath
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Abbeyleix

Been to Portlaoise Heritage Hotel? Share your experiences!