“Cheap rate which matched the service”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Reviewed 16 August 2010

Booked this hotel through an external website and got a cheap rate. We arrived at the reception and were 'greeted' by a not so friendly reception staff member who couldn't be bother to say hello or welcome. She just asked for my name and we felt like we were just another passing customer who she couldn't care less about.
We asked about making a reservation in the hotels steak house, she called and we were advised we had to be over there in 10mins to get a table. The entire time we had dinner, there were tables free so im not sure why there was such an urgency to rush us to check in and get ready. The Restaurant was over priced and our steaks were over cooked for what we asked for. when we said this to the waitress, her reply was simply 'OH' and she walked off and didn't return to our table.
The room was very grubby and outdated. It did not reflect on the lobby and the front of the building. TV in the room didn't work at all. Overall i will not recommend this hotel to anyone who enjoys comfort and good service and food.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
HeritageHotel, Director of Sales at Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2010

Dear Guest,

I appreciate you taking the time to post your comments and for your remarks. I was disappointed to read of your unsatisfactory stay and I would like to apologise for the shortcomings in service you experienced.

I can assure you we have addressed the service issues you have raised and would like to thank you for your feedback.

If you would like to speak with me directly regarding your experience please do not hesitate to contact me.

I do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in the near future.

Sales & Marketing Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,187)

Reviewed 13 August 2010

Myself and a group of friends booked a spa treatments at Ealu, followed by the early bird dinner at Spago Italian Bistro. The spa is well run - great staff and spotless. The offer a great range of treatments and are reasonibly priced. The early bird dinner offered a good range of choices for each course. It was tasty and you didn't go home hungry.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
HeritageHotel, Director of Sales at Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your experience in both Spago's Italian Bistro and Ealu Spa.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 12 August 2010

Very clean, I liked the style & layout.
The bar is cozy, with tv to see matches.
Food is very good- great menu.
Good location, 5mins walk form train,
Main St., 3 mins walk, to shops & nightclubs.
Steakhouse is fab across the road.
No gardens- but its in middle of town.
Parking is next door in multistory
Staff were great.
Going again at end of year for a wedding- cant wait

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 August 2010

I use the Heritage on a regular basis for lunch, client meeting and have attended a couple of conferences there. I have to say that the staff are always very friendly, professional and happy to help. The food here is quite nice and reasonably priced. I have never stayed overnight but I have heard good things. This Hotel is on the short list of hotels we are considering for our wedding.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and for continuing to support the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel, we very much appreciate it.

Congratulations on your engagement, if you would like to speak with someone in our Sales Office regarding your upcoming wedding please do not hesitate to contact us on 057 867 1919.

Reviewed 12 August 2010

i attended the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel in July this year for a christening. I found the room that the christening was in to to be quite spacious yet intimate for the christening party. We had our own bar which was great .The food was gorgous and was plentyful as my husband went for seconds !! My friend how had the christening party is getting married there next year and i am really excited about going to the hotel again i will be staying there this time. The service was so good for the christening i am in no doubt that the wedding will be brillant in this hotel

Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed the Christening Party that you recently attended in the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you to the hotel for your friends wedding in 2011.

Reviewed 12 August 2010

I didn’t stay in the hotel but have eaten in Spagos restaurant on two or three occasion and I must say I was well impressed with the food and the service we received there.
I have also eaten in the steak house as I'm not a steak eater the Pork chops are to die for and have recommend you to a few people who have also travelled down to Portlaoise as a half way meeting point and have eat in the Steak House and were very satisfied with there meal.

Neither Restaurant was expensive and well worth the value for money 

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed 9 August 2010

My Husband and I held our wedding reception at the Heritage Hotel Portlaoise last month. We cannot praise the Hotel enough. From our very first meeting with the Heritage right up to our wedding day the hotel was fantastic – particularly Victor. We couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day. It went so smoothly we couldn't believe it. The whole day was faultless. Nothing was ever too much trouble and anytime we contacted the hotel they always rang us back or replied to emails promptly.
The reception room looked amazing, the food was fantastic and the service was impeccable. Our wedding was all we hoped for and more, and we will definitely recommend the Heritage Hotel to friends and family in the future. Holding our wedding at the Heritage Hotel was definitely one of the best decisions we made.

• Stayed: July 2010
JerryRussell, General Manager at Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2010

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry that your stay was dissappointing overall. Your comments have been taken on board and we will certainly review what happened that morning with regard to your breakfast. Please accept my apologies. If you would like to talk to me further about your stay I would be delighted to take your call. My contact details are 057 8671912.

Yours sincerely
Jerry Russell

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
The Killeshin Hotel
#1 of 1 in Abbeyleix
Kildare House Hotel
Kildare House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kildare

Been to Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)

Address: 20 Jessop Street, Portlaoise R32 DT04, Ireland (Formerly Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)
Region: Ireland > Province of Leinster > County Laois > Portlaoise
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Price Range: £62 - £134 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:4 star — Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel) 4*
Designed to reflect style, planned with meticulous care to deliver service excellence, The Midlands Park Hotel has earned itself the reputation of being the most sought after hotel in Ireland. Nestled in the heart of Portlaoise Town, this sophisticated urban setting is perfect for business or pleasure. Its striking entrance creates an impressive sense of space and classic modern elegance. Our 115 deluxe bedrooms, incorporating executive rooms & suites offer the splendour of classic design with modern elegance and includes the latest in wireless internet technology complimentary. You will be spoiled for choice with our unique choice of Restaurants and Bars. Our White Flag Award Winning Health & Leisure Club is also available for all our guests. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Heritage Hotel Portlaoise