Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Reviewed 21 October 2010

My husband and I went to this hotel to celebrate our wedding anniversary.
Reception of the hotel was impressive - the greeting was not!
We went to our room - it was of poor decor and appeared grubby. On closer inspection I found cigarette ash on the table and on the floor - this was a non smoking room - and was obvious that the room was not cleaned to a high standard. My husband complained and we switched rooms - to another grubby room.
Both restaurants have good food - but service is not of 4 star standard.
breakfast was good but they did not have everything they claimed to have on the menu.
Overall we did not enjoy our stay. We have stayed in a lot of 4 star and 5 star hotels over the world and by far this hotel would come at bottom of the list and i would not class it as a 4 star.
I have to say though i did write a constructive e mail to the manager with my dissatisafion - she was fantastic and offered us a free night bed and breakfast - we stayed in a suite which was beautiful and i finally felt like i was in a 4 star hotel - i would recommend the suite.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
JerryRussell, General Manager at Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2010

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review of the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel. I am sorry you did not enjoy your first experience but that you returned and enjoyed your second experience.
General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,186)

Reviewed 20 October 2010

We got no welcome at reception on arrival, and were asked to pay up front for our stay, which we have never been asked to do before. Rooms were drab, but very clean. Apart from reception, staff were lovely, very chatty, funny, and we enjoyed talking to them. Shops mainly catered for under forties !! we would be like mutton dressed like lamb. Tullamore had more to offer. Food was very good. When we handed in our keys to leave, there was no goodbyes, and have a safe trip. The worst was being asked to pay before we even went to our rooms.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. I am sorry you felt that you were not welcomed to the Hotel. Please be aware that nearly all Hotels now require a form of credit given on arrival so to secure any charges that the guest may have during their stay. This form of credit is normally a credit card authorisation. This is not pre payment it is an authorisation. If a guest does not have a credit card then a full prepayment is taken for the accommdation at reception on arrival and all other charges are settled in the relevant outlets during the guests stay.
Once again thank you for your review and I do hope you will return to us in the future.
General Manager .

Reviewed 18 October 2010

Ok , Overall impression of this hotel was good.Booked interconnecting rooms as we have young kids and its easier to get them to sleep in their own room.This was an extra 40 per night but well worth it in my opinion.Initial impression of rooms was mixed.The rooms were boiling hot and as mentioned from a previous reviewer the radiators are not adjustable by residents so we had to open windows, which was fine but I did wake over the first night.I dont like rooms that are overly warm but thats just me.I think the hotel is a bit tired in places even if all in all it is a fine hotel(See pic of window sill which was damp and crumbling,not good in a hotel that claims 4* credentials.There were also stains on the carpet that probably were spilled wine that the cleaning crew couldnt get out,but that does happen i guess in hotels.our room was on the landing area of first floor and on the sat night were were woken up twice with an absolutely incredible racket from guests talking (shouting even) in the lift area but again that cant be full the fault of the hotel.Leisure centre womens changing rooms had only cold showers for the 3 days we were there so its a pity u cant get from the leisure centre to the rooms as i had to take the children back up to shower them and had to walk through a general area of the hotel with them.Also there was a serious scarcity of locker keys in the leisure centre changing rooms. One other complaint is the menu in the attached grillhouse for the children didnt really suit our children but then again perhaps spicy hot wings, and calamari are foods other children have no problem with>I prefer vegetables, poattaoes etc rather than normal nuggets etc for kids but i got the impression from the speech the waiter gave the children about santa not coming if they left their seats :-) that the restaurant was not necessarily too happy with young kids. Might have been worthwhile for the reception to mention that when making a booking for 5 adults and 4 kiddies.It was 6PM so not as if it was too late or anything.
Ok so now it may seem I was not happy with the hotel,but to be honest I was. If I was on a romantic getaway I might have liked a small bit more attentiveness but when with the kids we tend to remain a bit more anonymous:-) The good points - The bar staff in both the bar off the lobby and the attached Public House were very friendly and helpful.gave great tips and advise on places to visit with kids and good places to go for a drink/meal etc. The lesiure centre staff were extremely friendly and barring the issues mentioned the leisure centre and Gym were excellent.The hotel is a nice big hotel and very central with good parking facilities and the food I had both in the bar and the grillhouse were excellent, and the Bar offer of a burger,salad,fries and a pint for a ten euro were unbelievable value,especially given I have to say the burger was one of the best i ever tasted.The breakfasts were very substantial and aside from the sunday morning when there was a seriosu shortage of tables, pots(ran out of tea and cofee pots) and staff I have to say breakfast set us up for the day ahead.I do think the sunday was just a case of everyone leaving it to the last minute as one does on sunday morning :-) but the hotel needs to be more prepared for this:) The reception staff could do with being a bit friendlier compared to other places ive stayed but all in all i would say for the price we paid we got value for money and had a good overall stay. Still if i was a mystery shopper this one would not come up to that fourth star ....

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to do a comprehensive review of our Hotel. I am glad you thought the Hotel was nice and that you overall enjoyed your stay. The points you raised in your review will be examined and a course of action put in place to resolve these. I am very sorry about the cold water issue in the Leisure Centre during your stay and that you were disturbed by the heat in our bedrooms.
Once again thank you for your constructive comment and I do hope you will revisit us again in the near future.

Reviewed 16 October 2010

Hotel itself is lovely and location is great. However the service was abysmal. Opted for barfood the first night and the selection was both very poor and also very expensive. Special offer of burger and chips with a free pint advertised everywhere but when we asked for it we were told it was not available. There was a notable amount of people looking to complain to the manager in the bar that evening. Breakfast the next morning was a disaster. We arrived down at 10am (breakfast is served until 10.30am) & had to queue a considerable amount of time to be seated. Had to catch someone to order pot of tea. Toasters were either broken or really slow - spent about 10 minutes trying to toast the bread. Overheard someone asking staff if there was anymore food coming out, it was 10.30am but this person had been queuing since 10.10am to get in & she was told there was no more food coming out. The member of staff suggested coming down at 7.30am as there was hardly anyone down for breakfast then & loads of food!! In order to avoid this we ordered breakfast to our room the next morning but had to ring down twice as we didn't receieve what we had ordered! Got the impression that staff were in short supply especialy for breakfast service. Another thing very annoying is that you can't control the heating in your room - it's centrally controlled & a block of rooms are controlled at once. Our room was roasting & I was woken by the extreme heat at 4.30am. It's really a shame as the hotel itself is lovely & apart from the heating issue the room was also lovely. We had booked to go down again in December for weekend but have since cancelled!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
JerryRussell, General Manager at Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2010

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel I am sorry you found the service dissappointing.
I will certainly take your comments on board and review our operation at breakfast time and also when there is a football match on in the Charter Bar. The night in question we were extremely busy both in our bars and in our two restaurants and we sold out on our Beef Burger Promotion.
The following morning we were extremely quiet for the first two hours of breakfast service and then unfortunately everyone decided to get up together. Please accept my apologies that you had to queue and that the service was not as you would of expected.
I very much appreciate your feedback and hope despite your comments that you will give us another try at some point in the future.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 10 October 2010

Room ok, nothing special, tight enough for family room.Leisure facilities were adequate. Biggest crib was breakfast service. Honestly , it was terrible. The bread was actually mouldy. I complained and the staff member took away the basket of bread (make your own toast facility). She replaced it with 'fresh' bread but this was the same. At this I had seen enough as for such a busy hotel how do you have bread like this. Despite having breakfast included we skipped it the following day also. The hotel did apologise and could not explain how such could happen. They took the cost of breakfast off the bill but this was the least I would expect. Would not recommend a stay here. Maybe one off but not worth a chance considering the star rating they have -How did they get it?????

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
JerryRussell, General Manager at Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2010

Dear guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay in the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel. I am sorry the bread you found at your breakfast was not fresh. Please be assurred that a full investigation took place and the issue was dealt with.
I am sorry you did not get a chance to use our newly awarded White Flag Fitness and Leisure Club or experience our Ealu Spa.
Our two award winning restaurants Kellys Foundry Grillhouse and Spagos Italian Restaurant are very popular locally so I am sorry you did not get to experience them.
I do hope you give us another chance to redeem ourselves and hopefully we will welcome you back in the near future.
Kindest Regards

Reviewed 21 September 2010

Just returned from the Heritage Hotel Portlaois where we celebrated my wife's Birthday and our 24th Wedding Anniversary. We were accompanied by a party of 29 family and friends. From the moment we arrived the staff at reception and indeed the Hotel staff in general could not have been more helpful, for this reason we decided to use all the facilities the Hotel has to offer, ie, we drank in the Charter Bar were we found Bar Staff excellant, we dined in Spago's were we were treated like royalty and the food was second to none again Staff were brilliant. We used the Lesiure Centre in the Hotel, which has everything you need. We are looking forward to our next visit as are most of our party.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Bren1961
Reviewed 19 September 2010

When we arrived to check in we were informed that our room had been given to a bridal party who had "forgot" to book an extra room. We demanded to speak to the General Manager who offered to put us in a lesser starred hotel outside the town. He offerred us a complimentary dinner at the hotel as compensation, he refused to pay for a taxi for us as this was an added expense to us. He refused to reimburse us and basically did not give two hoots that they made the error and we were so inconvienced. We later got on to Hotels.com who we booked with and they could not have been more helpful and got us in to another 4 * hotel, the Killneshin, who were absolutely great and could not do enough for us. So if u are in Portlaoise go to the Killneshin Hotel and NOT the Heritage, unless u want to be treated like dirt!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
JerryRussell, General Manager at Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2010

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review on trip advisor. I am so sorry we had to book you out last Saturday, we oversold the hotel and we were totally at fault. I am sorry you chose not to go to the Hotel in Portlaoise that we had organised for you but am glad you managed to get a Hotel that you liked. As promised I wrote to you and I do hope you accept the offer I have made to you.
Yours sincerely
General Manager.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
The Killeshin Hotel
#1 of 1 in Abbeyleix
Kildare House Hotel
Kildare House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kildare

Been to Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)

Address: 20 Jessop Street, Portlaoise R32 DT04, Ireland (Formerly Portlaoise Heritage Hotel)
Region: Ireland > Province of Leinster > County Laois > Portlaoise
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Price Range: £61 - £131 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:4 star — Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel) 4*
Designed to reflect style, planned with meticulous care to deliver service excellence, The Midlands Park Hotel has earned itself the reputation of being the most sought after hotel in Ireland. Nestled in the heart of Portlaoise Town, this sophisticated urban setting is perfect for business or pleasure. Its striking entrance creates an impressive sense of space and classic modern elegance. Our 115 deluxe bedrooms, incorporating executive rooms & suites offer the splendour of classic design with modern elegance and includes the latest in wireless internet technology complimentary. You will be spoiled for choice with our unique choice of Restaurants and Bars. Our White Flag Award Winning Health & Leisure Club is also available for all our guests. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, LateRooms, Ebookers, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Midlands Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Formerly the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Heritage Hotel Portlaoise