“insulting behaviour from the owner”
Review of The Pantry

The Pantry
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Portlaoise
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: A taste of real home cooking and premium coffee (3fe) is on offer at The Pantry where every single menu item is prepared in our own kitchen by a small team of enthusiastic foodies. In addition to a wide range of fresh salads, customers enjoy savoury tartlets, frittatas, quiches, roulades, ciabattas, wraps, paninis, open sandwiches as well as hot lunch daily specials. Tasty gluten free preference catered for. Wellknown for outstanding home-baked pastries and cakes, this is a fulltime owner operated neighborhood eaterie where a warm welcome and friendly, efficient customer service is guaranteed. Did I mention that we also serve REALLY great coffee :)
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Took my money and on leaving, informed me that I was not welcome if I was the 'lady' who was there last year with the awful children. Had been persuaded my colleagues, for handiness sake, to go there again. It was a small celebration in my honour. Thank you so much, dear owner, for utterly ruining it! The fact is that all my colleagues got the same woeful impression of your attitude to quiet, paying, harmless customers. You are clearly intent on ruining your own business. Postscript: have never written a negative review of anywhere else in the world. To tourists: Do come to Portlaoise but do yourself and your family a favour and avoid the Pantry!

4  Thank Cosmogirl380
Margaret D, Owner at The Pantry, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2013

Surprise surprise, you are on this occasion,(THOUGH ONCE AGAIN ECONOMICAL WITH THE TRUTH), as good as your word. In embarrassing yourself by shouting as you were leaving our premises, you did shout that you would and you would also get your friends to post negative comments on Trip Advisor. Firstly we are utterly amazed that you chose to return to our Cafe. I refer you to your other review 29.06.2012. and can only assume that, and I quote, you have traveled as far as Hong Kong and Germany, that you have somewhat lost the grasp of the English language. We are 100% certain that we did tell you on your last visit that you were not welcome to return.Can we just reaffirm this again please. It is with regret you presence was not noticed on arrival. I also refer to your previous review and I must say as a parent if I was treated as you say you were treated I certainly would not have returned to such a place, but now having been made aware of who you are, your behavior is no longer a surprise. As for locals and tourists and our large volume of customers we refer you once again to our other reviews. As always we are happy to discuss any GENUINE shortcomings that possibly arise We are now tired of dealing with CHILDISH behavior from an adult who really should know better.!!

Reviewed 21 June 2013 via mobile

Friend suggested The Pantry, initially reluctant as parking on Main St tricky! However once in cafe very impressed, all staff welcoming.
We were asked to move table before our food arrive but that was very politely asked and no problem for us!
Very good value for wrap and coffee, both fresh and well presented. Real buzz about the place, wall dedicated to local events and some local art in shoe.
Well worth walk over to main St and much nicer than chain coffee shop!!

Reviewed 8 May 2013

Got in just before a busy lunch for a coffee, was just finishing up when the owner approached and said ' I don't mean to be rude, but we are very busy so could you leave?'. Have not returned since as have the 50 staff I work with in portlaoise and the numerous people I have told this story to.

4  Thank Fuzziest
Margaret D, Owner at The Pantry, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

Not true but why let the truth ruin a story. However if such an incident did occur, how were we rated on food if coffee was all that was purchased . A grudge perhaps? Call in or phone if such an incident happened, we are happy to discuss any shortcomings, otherwise we will dwell on real events.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Stopped here for lunch en route from Ringaskiddy to Meath. The staff were very friendly, attentive and helpful. Service was quick and the food was good quality and tasty. Good coffee too!

Reviewed 3 April 2013

The Pantry is excellent and the staff are so friendly. The place is lovely and bright. Always a good buzz there. The food is fresh and very tasty, appears to be all home made. Their bread is exceptional. Would highly recommend a visit there.