“Nice looking pub , processed food , lacks quality .”
Review of O'Gormans

O'Gormans
Ranked #15 of 48 Restaurants in Portlaoise
Cuisines: Irish, Thai
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Monasterevin, Ireland
“Nice looking pub , processed food , lacks quality .”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Stopped off after christmas shopping on a recommendation , food was less then ordinary . The Cajun chicken fillet lacked seasoning ( ie spice ) and was served with frozen chip , the fish and chip was served in a beer batter without any crunch mmmm ... Bog standard canteen food , lacks imagination or quality

• Visited December 2013

Ireland
“Not the best ....”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Went there last saturday evening for the early bird with family... food in the most part average but dont have the steak ciabatta sandwich ... strips of steak with half of it over cooked (hard) and not edible ... left most on the plate and sent it back to the kitchen ... got over charged at €122 first .. complained and the waitress had a go at rectifing down to €114 ... still looked over and I spent 10 mins with a calculator ... manager got involved ... not a plesant experience ... 3rd attempt and down to €107 ... Managers comments ... we do hundreds of meals a day (well I am only concerned about the one I am paying for)... we cant cook strips of steak to order (i did not want to order just edible) ... This over charging was a mistake on the waiting staff part where they dont put the early bird in right and it happens a lot (well i dont want to have to ckeck my bill with a calculator ever time)

So food average .. stay away for the steak sandwich ... check the bill ... and dont expect any sympathy from managment ...

• Visited November 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Food, Great Atmosphere and Fantastic Hosts”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

What can I say, other than FANTASTIC. The best Thai food around, with a great pint, and a good Craic. The menu is broad enough to be exciting, but not so big to be overwhelming. Everything is cooked to order, without additives, just a great experience.

• Visited November 2013
Dublin, Ireland
“Good service during Lunch time”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

If you hurry eat your lunch during work hours ,the best place go to Gormans restaurant in Kilminchy court . Its good selection of Irish food and cup of coffee or tea

Visited November 2013
Ireland
“Dont expect very much”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

My Wife and I recently visited O'Gorman's after some time away. We had eaten here previously and the standard was ok but not at all good value for the menu prices.

As we were in a hurry we decided to have two "bowls" of soup and some chicken wings. The service was prompt and somewhat intrusive giving the distinct impression that the server had been told to push the special dish of the day. At one stage I felt that they must have thought we were residents from the Old Folks Home across the road and were worried about us going to bed without our dinner.

The soup duly arrived with some quite tasty brown bread. We had one vegetable and one mushroom flavour. I mention the word flavour as whoever cooked this disaster obviously did not know the meaning of the word. The soups were contained in what can only be described as small ramekins with the mushroom one devoid of any mushrooms and filled up with croutons and watercress and hardly any soup at all. It was a tasteless glutonous mush. I asked the server could I have another slice of brown bread and she actually had the cheek to charge another euro for the slice.

The vegetable offering was not much better and completely tasteless. The chicken wings were incredibly bad value at I think €5.95 which worked out at approximately 1 euro each.

This establishment had seen better times and post boom appears to be maximising profits at the expense of taste and value. I observed other diners choices and for the menu prices did not appear to be anything to get excited about.

I suppose to be fair Portlaoise is not exactly a Gourmet Paradise and the choice of places to eat is extremely limited and in most cases quite awful.

If you want a quiet drink its ideal but get Mammy to get the dinner on at home and don't waste your hard-earned cash eating here.

• Visited September 2013