“Nice getaway”

Maldron Hotel Portlaoise
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Nice hotel we stayed in last weekend.Kid friendly lovely pool.The staff were very friendly couldnt do enough for you.We ate in the restaurant the food was lovely couldnt fault it and very reasonable.Good kids menu aswell no rubbish on it!!!.Would stay again for sure.Room nice and spacious everything in it you could need.

1  Thank Mark S
Caitrionaogorman, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Portlaoise, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2012

Dear Mark S,

Thank you for your reviewing your stay with us in Maldron Hotel Portlaoise & for the compliments you have written about our team in the Hotel. As a team we try very hard to meet and exceed the individual needs of all of our customers, ensuring that each and every guests has a comfortable, relaxing and enjoyable stay with us.

MarkS, I hope you will return to Maldron Hotel Portlaoise.

There are newer reviews for Maldron Hotel Portlaoise

Reviewed 25 August 2012

Really good value for money and lovely staff - midway from Cork to Dublin - ideal stopover - rooms clinical & corporate but very comfortable bed and very clean.
Ideal business hotel but we had fun in leisure too.
Leisure centre attached.
Cheap room only rate but very good

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Caitrionaogorman, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Portlaoise, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2012

Dear Aoibhinncork,

Thank you for your review of Maldron Hotel Portlaoise. We hope to welcome you back to Maldron Hotel Portlaoise again some day.

Reviewed 23 August 2012

Stayed here for the weekend with my wife and kids one of which is special needs, we were made very welcome the rooms was very spacious and clean had all you could ask for even was offered a DVD player for the kids and the kitchen staff took care of my sons special requirements without a problem. There was plenty of choice on the menu and the steaks were cooked to perfection and the chicken wings were to die for. Very good selection on breakfast and the chef, I think was Trevor, was very considerate and thoughtful of my sons needs as was the restaurant manager. We had a great time and will definitely return. I would give them 5 star for their customer care and food

Dear GeraldineM,

Thank you for your recent review on your stay in Maldron Hotel Portlaoise.
We are indeed ideally set up to deal with the individual needs of all of our guests.

GeraldineM, I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Maldron Hotel Portlaoise.

Caitriona

Reviewed 23 August 2012

Stayed here on Monday night with my family, room nice & plenty of room. Hotel very clean. Dinner was included was very good. Seemed to be very busy was great athmosphere. Pool was lovely and bright kiddies pool ideal when u have toddlers. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2012

Dear Johnc808,

Firstly I would like to thank you for reviewing your stay in Maldron Hotel Portlaoise.
We do indeed have a lovely kiddies pool, suitable for all ages. This is also complimented by our 20 Metre pool.

JohnC808, I look forward to welcoming you back to Maldron Hotel Portlaoise.

Reviewed 21 August 2012

Very relaxing friendly staff nice pool and gym area. Nice food and drink.free bowling down the road. Games room for kids and food court next door with six different take aways. Would dEfinitely go again in the future.handy for anyone to pull in from a long journey. Great Indian restaurant in the town called the king fisher. Also try laser quest up the road. Another great day out for the kids if you like a relaxing break this is the hotel for you most definitely

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Dear GedIreland,

Thank you for your review of Maldron Hotel Portlaoise.

It is good to read that you had time to enjoy our hotel, Our local Childrens activity centre and indeed sample some of the fine restaurants in Portlaoise town.

GedIreland I hope that you will return again to Maldron Hotel Portloaise in the near future.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

I hate giving bad reviews and for that reason this is the first that I've given on TripAdvisor. The hotel itself is modern and nice enough but I think the problems we encountered were down to understaffing and bad management.

We stayed here last Saturday night after getting a deal online. When we arrived at reception there were three groups ahead of us in the queue and we waited over 45 minutes before we got the key to our room. There were problems with each of the parties ahead of us and our own reservation had not been processed even though I had received a booking confirmation earlier in the week. The girl behind reception was very nice but she had to deal with so many problems with each check in, e.g. rooms not being ready (at 3.50pm), etc. All the while she was trying to get through the queue of people checking in, she was taking calls from external enquiries, guest enquiries and housekeeping. Although a manager stepped in to help her with the queue it didn't seem to help.

When we went up to the room there was a smell of stale smoke and a cigarette burn on the desk chair. Admittedly we didn't specifically request a non-smoking room but I thought non-smoking rooms were the norm. Otherwise the room was clean.

We ate dinner at the Stir restaurant and the food was nice enough although nothing special. Again we had a long wait to get the bill as they were busy.

At night the room was very stuffy, even with the window open. We realised at 3.30am that there was a hen party in the room next door who had returned from a night out. We also realised when they returned that our room was connected to theirs by a doorway that we had not bothered to check earlier in the day. This meant that we heard every single word they were saying. In fairness when my boyfriend knocked on their door and explained the situation to them they moved to another room straight away. I don't think that it was fair on them either because they should have been able to enjoy themselves, but because our rooms were joined we could hear them even when they were whispering. I just feel that it was completely inappropriate to give strangers adjoining rooms.

Breakfast the following morning was the usual English/continental breakfast. The staff in the restaurant were friendly but I think they were still clearing/setting up tables from the night before.

When we checked out we weren't asked how our stay was so we didn't comment, but I doubt very much that I'll ever stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amurf83
Caitrionaogorman, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Portlaoise, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Dear Amurf83,

Thank you for highlighting the issues you encountered during your recent stay with us.
I would really like to discuss your stay with you and I ask that you contact me at cogorman@maldronhotels.com with your phone number and a suitable time I could call you.

As a management team, we aim to ensure that all of our guests are treated individually and have an excellent stay with us.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 19 August 2012

we stopped on way back from rosslare.had prebooked room and paid at rec when arrived room only. found out when i got home deal on, for same price i could get bed and breakfast ? i wasnt told this.annoyed that they dont try to help you get good value.to make you say wow ,i will return.
new hotel and everything looks new and clean.very small games room,one pool table 2 machines,4 men playing in it with beer ,so no children could go in.need a bigger area.
pool was lovely.all staff were friendly.in rec and pool.
restaurant and bar small also.tables set for breakfast so not much seating at bar.
breakfast 12.75? next door to hotel breakfast 4.95 or 7.95,hotel should offer better prices to its paying guests.missing out here.also fast food outlets and bagels and o briens.cafe.
broken glass in car park,told rec.
room very hot at night,had to sleep with window open,noise level high from road.window handle was broken also.
okay for one night.need to offer better deals on breakfast to paying guests..

1  Thank rada8

Dear Rada8,

I was disappointed to read the review you wrote of our hotel.

May I apologise that you were quoted the wrong rate for breakfast. We have breakfast options that range in price from €3.95 to €9.50 which includes both full and continential options, which is served in our 120 seater Restaurant daily.

I appreicate your feedback on our Games room also. This was the first year that we set this up in our hotel and constructive feedback is important so that we can continue to improve and grow our services.

Rada, I do hope that you will return to Maldron Hotel Portlaoise some day.

Caitriona O' Gorman

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
The Killeshin Hotel
#1 of 1 in Abbeyleix
Tullamore Court Hotel
Tullamore Court Hotel
#2 of 3 in Tullamore

Been to Maldron Hotel Portlaoise? Share your experiences!