“excellent hotel”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Rhode, Ireland
“excellent hotel”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

stayed here on Saturday night and could not rate it highly enough. From the time you walk into reception till you leave all staff are friendly, helpful and make you feel very welcome. Rooms are very spacious and very clean.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Caitrionaogorman, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Portlaoise, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear Caitriona

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Maldron Hotel Portlaoise.
We all hope we can welcome you back to hotel on your next trip to Ireland

Bruno Gorisch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the Maldron on Friday the 11th of October on route to a wedding in Caven. I was impressed by the standard of the room which was very comfortable Nd more than adequate for our one night stay. The staff were very friendly in both the reception and the bar/restaurent. The food was very good value and the service was excellent. All in all very good value at a reasonable price, I would have no problem returning to the hotel in the future.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Kieran,

Please be assured I will pass your lovely comments on to our team here.
We all hope we can welcome you back to hotel on your next trip to Portlaoise

Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

My fiancée and I have been visiting Ireland since September 19. After staying in many hotels around the country, we found ourselves at the Maldron in Portlaiose, where we both got tattoo work done. We had an excellent stay two nights in a row. Clean rooms, excellent dinner/bar experience, helpful front desk staff and just an all around good nights sleep. We continued on our travels, but while in Galway/Sligo my fiancée became ill with a cold, and wanted to have a nice stay in a hotel...having such a nice stay those first two nights we chose to travel 1 1/2 hours back to the Maldron here. Checking in late we passed out right away. When we awoke we noticed a few issues regarding cleanliness. Unfortunately the cleaning staff were no help HOWEVER as soon as the issue was brought up to front desk, management went ABOVE AND BEYOND to make us happy. Therefore I had no choice but to leave them a shining review.

Some reviewers here are saying the location is not good. This may be true if your on foot and uncomfortable with the public transportation, but if you have a car you can reach the town center without directions (its that easy and well posted) in less than 2 min. And keep in mind a town center hotel would be at least double the price. I'd rather stay 2 min away and pay less!

Others say the 'view' out the windows are lacking. Well I suppose that's true but you cannot hear noise from outside, and the sun shines every morning. The windows open a bit for fresh air. And on that note in my home town of Sudbury, I can't think of one hotel with a 'view'. Sometimes there just isn't one!

THE BAR DOES SERVE COCKTAILS contrary to what a past review said. I was staying here the same time as this review. Drinks are priced well, pints as cheap as €3.

No entertainment but this isn't a party spot it's a quiet moterway hotel. As I said night life is just a quick drive or a cheap taxi ride away.

All in all we would seriously consider staying here again next time were in the area.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Guest

We all hope we can welcome you back to hotel on your next trip to Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 25 September 2013

me and my parnter stayed in this hotel in july with another couple and the hotel itself is clean but the nite life is a no go. there was an old lad on a key board playing in the bar. the location poor its a couple of mile from the town. one side of the hotel is looking over the motorway and the other side is over aload of air condition units. we didnt eat in the hotel so cant tell u how it was

Room Tip: rooms at front of the hotel would be the quietest
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Maldron Hotel Portlaoise. It is through guest feedback such as yours that we can continually improve the service we provide here.
I am sorry your stay was not truly satisfactory, we have different bands playing on the bar during the holidays season. We sorry that we didn't chose a band of your liking this time.

Cork
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Our family stayed recently on the pigs back offer which was an excellent deal, included late check out to 2pm. Firstly, the cons - I had a spa treatment booked for 6pm, arrived punctually to find the door locked with a note saying the therapist was busy at a treatment. Time went on and still no sign of anyone. I rang the spa - no answer. Eventually 20 mins later, the therapist and her client came out. Fair enough, appointments can run over but after rushing to get there on time, the very least I expected was an apology but there was none at all. My treatment should have been for 1 hour but because I had a dinner reservation and my family waiting on me, all I had was 40 mins at most. I was very disappointed that I had to pay full price and still no apology on my departure. Another con - no fruit, fresh or otherwise at breakfast.
Now the pros, the booking process and check in were extremely painless and very pleasant. Staff were very helpful throughout. Swimming pool was really nice and sufficiently warm despite a bad day outside. The room was lovely, big, spotlessly clean, plenty of towels, tea making facilities. OK the hotel is not close to town but it was perfect for what we wanted. Food was very good. Overall a great hotel but customer relations in the spa would in my opinion need to be reviewed.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear JOF,

May I take this opportunity to sincerely apologise for the problem you encountered on your stay with us and I would like to thank you for taking the time to write to us, as it is only through constructive feedback that we are able to make our wrong doings right.
I will pass your comments to the Spa Manager and ask her to revise her procedures, I will also talk to our Head Chef regarding your comments about the breakfast

Finally, thank you for your kind words about our leisure club, reception staff and that the food which you found was superb.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not so distant future.

Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Lovely Hotel, rooms clean, warm, friendly helpful staff. enjoyed our break here. there is a food court beside the hotel this is handy for snacking during the day, it is not in walking distance to the town however there is a bus stop outside the hotel. the food in the restaurant was excellent the service good and staff efficient, good value stay, would recommend this hotel to stay in.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Yvonne,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.

It was a pleasure to read such positive comments regarding your stay in our hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed staying with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not so distant future.

Wicklow
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stayed here with 34 family members and was hugely disappointed.. Where to start?? The room reeked of smoke, was dark, cold and noisy. There was only a teeny tiny bit of toilet paper in the bathroom (and none in the bar toilets later that night). Only one flat excuse for a pillow per person. There was an iron but no ironing board. No biscuit with the coffee tray..No tablecloths on the tables for evening meals. No entertainment (on a Saturday night!!)..Drink very expensive!!
Horrible layout of restaurant and bar..Not very cosy at all...but the biggest let down of all was that they didn't serve cocktails...Breakfast was ok though.

Room Tip: Find another hotel!!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Laura J
Dear Laura,

Thank you for taking your time to leave your feedback. I am saddened to see you had such a disappointing stay with us and thank you for bringing the issues to my attention.
Please note that this is far from the regular standard of customer care practised at Maldron Hotel Portlaoise.
I would be very grateful to you if you could contact me on my direct email bgorisch@maldronhotels.com.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Bruno Gorisch
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
The Killeshin Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ballyfin
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Abbeyleix

Been to Maldron Hotel Portlaoise? Share your experiences!